Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest neesy111

So the player wants to stay, the manager wants to keep him, and he's been transfer listed?

You have to consider that renewing a contract is often cheaper than buying a new player. That's why many players will get a pay-rise, because the club would rather that than get a small fee as their contract runs out and fork out on a quality replacement who may turn out to be crap.

Consider the cost of spending 5M (perhaps what it would cost for a proven Prem quality defender)  and giving him 40K a week plus a signing on fee. Pocketing 1 or 2M for Taylor in the process. Money saved?

Not to mention, our stock has fallen. Do you see a line of star defenders queueing up at our door?

The Milner comparisons are good because I remember a lot of people criticising Milner and picking on his worst performances for the club, and his worst attributes at the time, such as his lack of pace, strength or ability to cross a ball. But many people could see he had his strengths and had the right attitude to develop as a player. Many also predicted Mike Ashley wouldn't replace him - and he didn't.

Consider the cost of everyone else in the dressing room wanting parity with his wages / relative payrise.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that the term 'proven prem quality' isn't applicable here.

He’s more proven at PL level than Coloccini and he’s our top earner isn’t he?

Taylor's had 5 pretty poor seasons in my book. Makes him no more proven that someone with 1 'bad' season.

Name me a newcastle CB that's had a decent season in the premiership last 5 years.....

Because if your theory is correct, it'll be none

So the player wants to stay, the manager wants to keep him, and he's been transfer listed?

You have to consider that renewing a contract is often cheaper than buying a new player. That's why many players will get a pay-rise, because the club would rather that than get a small fee as their contract runs out and fork out on a quality replacement who may turn out to be crap.

Consider the cost of spending 5M (perhaps what it would cost for a proven Prem quality defender)  and giving him 40K a week plus a signing on fee. Pocketing 1 or 2M for Taylor in the process. Money saved?

Not to mention, our stock has fallen. Do you see a line of star defenders queueing up at our door?

The Milner comparisons are good because I remember a lot of people criticising Milner and picking on his worst performances for the club, and his worst attributes at the time, such as his lack of pace, strength or ability to cross a ball. But many people could see he had his strengths and had the right attitude to develop as a player. Many also predicted Mike Ashley wouldn't replace him - and he didn't.

Consider the cost of everyone else in the dressing room wanting parity with his wages / relative payrise.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that the term 'proven prem quality' isn't applicable here.

Taylor's had 5 pretty poor seasons in my book. Makes him no more proven that someone with 1 'bad' season.

Name me a newcastle CB that's had a decent season in the premiership last 5 years.....

Faye was decent.

What? :lol:

Hes more proven at PL level than Coloccini and hes our top earner isnt he?

Faye was decent.

I wouldn't pay much attention to Ronaldo's "book". He's not exactly going to the make any best sellers awards, unless it's for his works of complete fiction.

Bassong?

Faye was decent.

I wouldn't pay much attention to Ronaldo's "book". He's not exactly going to the make any best sellers awards, unless it's for his works of complete fiction.

You obviously haven't been a 'fan' for long.

But to answer Neesy's ridiculous question; Bassong and Faye have had genuinely good seasons, Taylor hasn't.

Faye was decent.

You obviously haven't been a 'fan' for long.

But to answer Neesy's ridiculous question; Bassong and Faye have had genuinely good seasons, Taylor hasn't.

Longer than you've been alive mate. Taylor's been fine, and he's still young for that position, plenty of time to develop.

Guest malandro

Coloccini was still really poor and hasn’t proven himself to be a better PL defender than ST. He might over the course of this season, but right now he hasn’t. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Taylor’s wage exceptions have been driven upwards by Colo’s inflated pay packet.

Taylor’s agent implied his client was looking for a staged salary increase. Presumably a sort of as the club makes progress back up the league his salary increases to reflect this. This would certainly fit in with Taylor’s previous comments about wanting assurances about the club’s ambition. The worry has to be (if the club aren’t prepared to go down this route) is that Ashley has no intention of ever paying the kind of wages needed to retain the services of players who perform well in the PL.

What happens when Coloccini’s contract is nearly up if he can replicate last season’s form in the PL? Will the club offer him £35kpw and put him on the transfer list when he turns it down?

Thought Bassong was much worse than Bramble to be honest.

Well as usual you're wrong. Bassong has potential and is showing that he will go on to fulfil this, whereas Bramble showed potential but now plays for Sunderland.

Faye was decent.

beat me to it.

Bassong.

Coloccini was still really poor and hasn’t proven himself to be a better PL defender than ST. He might over the course of this season, but right now he hasn’t. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Taylor’s wage exceptions have been driven upwards by Colo’s inflated pay packet.

Taylor’s agent implied his client was looking for a staged salary increase. Presumably a sort of as the club makes progress back up the league his salary increases to reflect this. This would certainly fit in with Taylor’s previous comments about wanting assurances about the club’s ambition. The worry has to be (if the club aren’t prepared to go down this route) is that Ashley has no intention of ever paying the kind of wages needed to retain the services of players who perform well in the PL.

What happens when Coloccini’s contract is nearly up if he can replicate last season’s form in the PL? Will the club offer him £35kpw and put him on the transfer list when he turns it down?

I am pretty certain that if Coloccini doesn't fall in line with the reduced wage policy he will be sold or let go at the end of his contract. I don't know why there is much doubt about this.

For 75% of the season when fit Bramble was a beast. Yes he did cock up quite prolifically, but think about how many penalties/red cards Bassong was responsible for. Additionally, Bassong always seemed under pressure for us, which was not the case for Bramble who would often quietly and effectively get on with his job.

Guest andrew

Faye, Bassong

Faye, Bassong

Bassong didn't have a decent season imo, all he had was a better season that Cacapa, Coloccini, Taylor...

Guest Mantis

Funny thing is it didnt take Bassong & Faye long to spit the dummy out and disappear 'french' style.  Hope he stays.  Rather that than another R Taylor type signing.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

f***ing hell aye, lets comapre Bassong, still learning his trade in England, who occasionally got wrong side of the attacker with Bramble who cost us a goal every other game. Some people on this forum defy belief at times.

:thup: