Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't think that their is a better defender out there that would come to us, who

A. Isn't nearly passed it like Campbel is.

B. Would play for us for less money than Taylor.

C. Would be as loyal to us as Taylor would be.

:mackems:

Who do you suggest like?

David Wheater supposedly linked with us if Taylor goes. Wheater's contract is also up at the end of the season.

I wouldn't be against Wheater, especially with the fee being low or for nothing in the summer, but reports were his contract extension last time round puts him on wages that Taylor is on now. Really i'd see no point in it if so though to replace Sol at the end of the season would be a great move.

I think Taylor has got worse while he's been out TBH, it wasn't too long ago he was talked about at least in the same bracket as Dawson and Upson, players who are regularly getting in the England squad.

I don't know how our wage structure has changed recently, but if the club are happy to offer him somewhere in the region of £50k a week then I'd be happy for him to sign that deal.

???

he's only played one game?

Sorry, what I meant was that people have forgotten how good he was recently thought to be.

I don't think that their is a better defender out there that would come to us, who

Who do you suggest like?

David Wheater supposedly linked with us if Taylor goes. Wheater's contract is also up at the end of the season.

Don't see much different between the two.

Who do you suggest like?

£25k a week probably.

W

Who do you suggest like?

Highly doubt Wheater's demands would be as high as Taylor's, particularly as he would be coming from the Championship. As you say there is really no difference between the two ability wise and so it would make sense to go for Wheater rather than give Taylor more money than he is really worth.

Taylor is better than Wheater tbh.

Boro fans hate Wheater these days.

QFT - The only Boro fan alive who follows them home and away (my mate) reckons he's gone backwards over the last couple of years and won't be a loss to them when he walks.

Taylor out for a few million, Wheater in on less wages and a lower fee than we receive for Taylor, would free up the potential Taylor pay increase on a better calibre of forward or winger in the summer.

he's nowhere near as good as taylor.

Just been reading about and the Boro fans really aren't liking Wheater these days, they just want some decent coin in the winter window for him and they'll happily see the back of him. Pissed off the touted fee is £1.2m, they want double.

Apparently Liverpool ready to pay Taylor £75kpw to cover for Carra. That must mean they want him in Jan, so a fee will be involved as well. Anything we get from Taylor if he goes should be put towards Shawcross not pay for Wheater.

Just been reading about and the Boro fans really aren't liking Wheater these days, they just want some decent coin in the winter window for him and they'll happily see the back of him. Pissed off the touted fee is £1.2m, they want double.

Apparently Liverpool ready to pay Taylor £75kpw to cover for Carra. That must mean they want him in Jan, so a fee will be involved as well. Anything we get from Taylor if he goes should be put towards Shawcross not pay for Wheater.

shawcross? i like him but he'd cost a lot. and don't really buy the liverpool shite, probably stretford saylors agent trying to get more cash from the club

shawcross? i like him but he'd cost a lot. and don't really buy the liverpool shite, probably stretford saylors agent trying to get more cash from the club

He'd cost a bit aye, but if were selling Taylor I'd want us to upgrade and progress, not go sideways or in Wheaters case most likely backwards.

Shawcross would be an ambitious move, but he hasn't had the season he had last term, could work in any potential buyers favour.

Correct, madras.

QPR fans hate Fitz again btw.

So? He was strong enough for us last season.

He played a handful of games for us and looked decent in a side dominating the Championship. He's had years of being rubbish according to QPR fans and failed disasterously last time he was in the Premier League.

I'd rather we didn't buy somebody with an awful reputation purely because they had a few good games in the second tier.

Taylor out for a few million, Wheater in on less wages and a lower fee than we receive for Taylor, would free up the potential Taylor pay increase on a better calibre of forward or winger in the summer.

If he's not first choice though, does he have to necessarily be better? Doesn't have to particularly be Wheater or Hall, but there'll be options out there who are of a similar level or if not, can do a job as 3rd or 4th choice, while the money we'd be putting on Taylor's new contract could go towards a better partner for Carroll.

Taylor is significantly better than Hall but he could be one of the players we go for to replace him on the cheap. Presuming Taylor leaves in the first place obviously.

I'd be completely fine with that tbh. If Taylor signs a new contract we'd be able to shift him for over £6m imo. Hall in on the cheap, leaving funds for more attacking players, and it's good business.

If he's not first choice though, does he have to necessarily be better? Doesn't have to particularly be Wheater or Hall, but there'll be options out there who are of a similar level or if not, can do a job as 3rd or 4th choice, while the money we'd be putting on Taylor's new contract could go towards a better partner for Carroll.

Weaken the back to strengthen the front. Madness.

Weaken the back to strengthen the front. Madness.

How, exactly? Nobody is asking Hall to be brought in to replace Colocinni. They'd be there as backup and Hall is decent enough to be that.