Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Pretty happy with this. He's no world beater but good enough for where we are now and I can't really see us attracting a much better player, especially considering we have other priorities. Let's hope he can improve and if not, we are at least guaranteed a decent fee when we decide to sell him a few years down the line.

Ambivalent.

Good business decision/housekeeping.

Pardew's comments intimate he's first choice, and from what I've seen of the four defenders, Williamson and Colo are the best - they also have a sound partnership/understanding with one another.

Great news as we can get some good coin for the lad. I fear Pardew will persist with him over Willo, but at least he's not terrible and its certainly better to have him around than not.

Sell him in the summer, use that money to get Ben Arfa and find a modest priced CB.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Really don't think this has been done with a view to sell. I believe Pardew sees him as first-choice, ahead of Williamson.

Yep. I expect Saylor/Colo to be our first choice CB pairing under Pardew.

I don't mind him getting the contract, he's alright. Same length contract as Williamson.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

5 and a half years? FFS.

Same as Williamson.

But Williamson won't be on big wages and might actually improve unlike this tosser.

I don't think he's a bad player really, and Williamson's older than Saylor.

5 and a half years? FFS.

Same as Williamson.

But Williamson won't be on big wages and might actually improve unlike this tosser.

Well Willamson's wages have obviously gone up and I don't think this regime would sign a player on wages they couldn't afford.

After all the tightness we've witnessed over the last three years you really think Taylor will be on massive wages?  I'm not sure why Taylor won't improve or why he's a tosser but that's just me.

Guest guinness_fiend

What on earth has he done to deserve a 5 1/2 year contract and (presumably) increased salary?  Bugger all other than cost us points. 

He must be laughing his tits off at the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Btw I also don't believe this contract will be any different to what was already on the table for him. I just think Pardew has given him assurances over starts whereas Hughton preferred Williamson.

Age is immaterial, Williamson has had little to no exposure of playing at the top level against the best strikers in the game unlike Taylor. Hence he can improve by learning to adapt his game by learning against these better players. Taylor is still the same hands out pointing to others to cover him whilst he stands in the wrong position defender he was when he first broke in to the team. I;d be flabbergasted if Taylors wages werent substantially bigger than Mike's.

One of my memories from yesterday was Taylor patting Simpson on the back and encouraging him.  Just thought I'd mention that as it always gets pointed out when he's having a go at others, or not pointed out as such but trotted out in arguments.

Btw I also don't believe this contract will be any different to what was already on the table for him. I just think Pardew has given him assurances over starts whereas Hughton preferred Williamson.

The return of Taylor flexing his acting chops again then :(.