Accrington Stanley 2 - 3 Newcastle Utd - 25/08/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

Ranger showed he had talent, but at times he seemed a bit immature. There were a couple of times when he seemed to turn getting hurt into a bit of a self-centred drama.

An incident that sticks in the mind was the second half, where he had tracked back, but lost the ball to his opposite number. He then threw himself in front of his opponent, giving away a very obvious free kick in a dangerous position. It felt like restoring his own pride after losing a challenge was more important than making the right decision for the team. He needs to grow out of that.                                                                                                 

Ranger showed he had talent, but at times he seemed a bit immature. There were a couple of times when he seemed to turn getting hurt into a bit of a self-centred drama.

An incident that sticks in the mind was the second half, where he had tracked back, but lost the ball to his opposite number. He then threw himself in front of his opponent, giving away a very obvious free kick in a dangerous position. It felt like restoring his own pride after losing a challenge was more important than making the right decision for the team. He needs to grow out of that.                                                                                                  

+1

I think Ranger can be a real star BUT not on the wing. I thought Vuckic was a winger?

What point are you making? By its very nature, a cup competition is very winnable because you don't necessarily have to beat anyone that's any good.

Exactly. We did well, but I'd only consider playing a similar team in the next round if we were at home. It's no coincidence that the three goals were scored by the three senior players on the pitch.

There were a few decent performances last night, but we should be looking to win every game.

Guest neesy111

I think Hughton is wary of getting unnecessary injuries in these games i.e. Shola last season v Huddersfield.

If we get past the 3rd round then we should be taking it serious as you never know with the cup, remember Leicester won it twice in 4 years.

Krull, R Taylor and Lua Lua were particularly good last night. At the very least they are decent back up for our first XI.

Shola and Ranger had a mixed game. They were very good at times and not so good at other times.

The central midfield duo of Vuckik and Donaldson were fairly poor. The rest didn't really catch the eye one way or the other, Kadar (who i think has potential) looked OK, Tavernier i'd need to see again.

I hope Mr Hughton tells last nights team that they will play in the cup in every round they get to. it vwould be great to see a good cup run from our Development Team.

Nah. They need a couple more seniors in the team in my opinion. Helps the young ones perform better...

I hope Mr Hughton tells last nights team that they will play in the cup in every round they get to. it vwould be great to see a good cup run from our Development Team.

Nah. They need a couple more seniors in the team in my opinion. Helps the young ones perform better...

I agree with this, it's great to give the youngsters a run out but the performance was very disjointed at times.

Experience for young players is only valuable if it somehow simulates the first-team experience IMO. Last night was just like another reserve game for them, surely?

Disagree, Cup game, Head Coach, A few senior players there.

It sounded to me like most of the promising names - Lua Lua, Ranger, Vukcic, Donaldson, Kadar - will end up going out on loan. Despite their talent, they were all a bit naive and needed that maturing process that only comes from playing regular first team football amongst street wise, experienced professionals.

The present combination of reserve team football and the occasional sub appearance isn't the same.

It is understood police tried to arrest him outside The Crown Ground, when officers were attacked.

Saw that happen, was f***ing mental. At one point there was a policeman lifted into the air - another 6 coppers turned up like 10 seconds later while one of his mates stood at back going "Come on mate, you're better than this. Stop resisting" :lol:

Guest Brummiemag

Great to see us progress to the next round despite the fact we played a reserve team.

Lets hope we now take the competition more seriously by playing a full strength team in the next round. It represents our main chance of winning a trophy this season so lets go for it and see what happens 

I don't think we'll put out a full team next match, but a few more seniors will play.

That should be the case.

There a certain players we shouldn't play in the Carling Cup until the very late rounds, as Barton, Carroll, Routledge, Enrique and probably even Jonas and Nolan. We can't cope with injuries to them (with our squad at the moment)

i think the opposition we get in the next round will decide what type of team we put out,  ideally we get a home tie against Peterboro or MK Dons rather than an away game at Man City or Arsenal.

i thought the team did well last night bearing in mind it was basically a make shift reserve team,  Nile is a striker who played out wide,  Tavernier is a right back who played centre half,  Ferguson, while he i ok at left back i think he's a better left midfield/winger,  Vuckic isn't really a central midfielder in a 442,  he's more suited when playing behind the forward in the reserves/youth team 4231 formation and Kadar was making his first start after being injured in pre season