Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

I've never quite known how the lad always seems to be shite in 36 league games a season but becomes a world beater come derby day. It's incredible, he's widely known as shite by Mags but worship him because of his antics against us, why and how does he do it?

70 goals over his career and 10% of them have come against us.

:snod:

I've never quite known how the lad always seems to be shite in 36 league games a season but becomes a world beater come derby day. It's incredible, he's widely known as shite by Mags but worship him because of his antics against us, why and how does he do it?

:lol: Gotta love that stat.

Was watching a game in Australia a few years back and the commentator said that he thought that Shola just didnt have the 'competitive edge' to be a top player.

I thought that was quite a good observation - fits in with what Ive seen from him. Hes always been useless coming into a game off the bench cold - his complete lack of impact is in contrast even to the likes of Ranger and LuaLua.

Ive a vague recollection from years ago of him getting wound up by a whack off a defender early on and then being amazing in that game. His record against Sunderland suggests that when he gets himself fired up he can have a good game

That was a good observation from the commentator and you.

I've never quite known how the lad always seems to be s**** in 36 league games a season but becomes a world beater come derby day. It's incredible, he's widely known as s**** by Mags but worship him because of his antics against us, why and how does he do it?

:smug: :laugh:

Christ, they're board is something special. Looks like a blind child put it up. First time I've seen the thread overview. Fucking hell it's like a million threads about everything, or nothing if you like. Horrendous structure.

:spit:

Guest Haris Vuckic

I've never quite known how the lad always seems to be s**** in 36 league games a season but becomes a world beater come derby day. It's incredible, he's widely known as s**** by Mags but worship him because of his antics against us, why and how does he do it?

It's wrong like - he's only scored 6 past them no?

Guest Slarth

:smug: :laugh:

What a stat :mackems:

It's wrong like - he's only scored 6 past them no?

Aye he has, and only one on SOS

One was a Caldwell OG.

Yeah, I just Googled it and it's weird because the BBC match report says:

Owen's absence had been less of a problem than the Magpies may have feared as his replacement Ameobi proved a more than adequate deputy.

His aerial threat proved too much for Sunderland to handle - first when he lost his marker to notch the opener and then three minutes later when he nodded in Charles N'Zogbia's hooked cross.

Squeezed between Ameobi's first goals of the season came a strike of real quality from Lawrence, who arrowed a low shot into the bottom right corner.

Yet the bit at the bottom says "Goals: Ameobi 34, Caldwell 37 og, Emre 63".

Must have been taken off Ameobi later on and that does ring a bell.

Actually that's what the Chronicle say in that article quoted earlier on as well ("His double against Sunderland last term also elevated his place in Geordie folklore following another impressive brace back in 2005 in a 3-2 win"), hence their headline "Shola Ameobi eyes seven-up at Sunderland".

I just had it down as one of those dubious ones and never heard one way or the other so assumed it was Shola's.