Strongest Eleven

Guest BooBoo

Guest malandro

I think overall Krul is a better bet than Harper. Forster should come back from Celtic next summer and step up to be our new number 1.

I agree but he’s very head strong and prone to trying to do too much. He’ll grow out of it in time and should mature into a quality keeper. However, Harper's unspectacular and predictable game is the better option this season. Krul can gain some experience in the cups.

Gosling has shown nowhere near enough as yet to prove he's got more in his locker than Barton.

Either has Barton in the last 3 years barring the last game.

If we are being like that we shouldn't really include Ben Arfa as he has proven nothing yet in the premiership.

What Premier league match have you watched where Gosling has performed better than Barton did on Sunday?

Has no-one considered dropping Colo? Campbell's experience as well as Williamson's height and composure outweigh Colo's 'strengths' imo.

Aye but Ronaldo and Marlon Harewood will petrol bomb your house if you put it.

Guest neesy111

Has no-one considered dropping Colo? Campbell's experience as well as Williamson's height and composure outweigh Colo's 'strengths' imo.

Some people on here will have you stoned for saying Colocini isn't anything other than perfect.  I totally agree, Colocini for 1st 10 mins v villa was awful, let in Ashley Young 3x behind him.

Gosling has shown nowhere near enough as yet to prove he's got more in his locker than Barton.

Either has Barton in the last 3 years barring the last game.

If we are being like that we shouldn't really include Ben Arfa as he has proven nothing yet in the premiership.

What Premier league match have you watched where Gosling has performed better than Barton did on Sunday?

So that's erm, hang on a second, give me a chance to count.. okay one game.

Surely with the inclusions of tiote, Ben arfa and even krul to an extent people are basing their PREDICTIONS on how they think some of these players will perform, no?

Now given the fact Barton has given us a handful of decent games and one excellent game in THREE years I don't think it's totally out of the question that Gosling could be the better player.

Christ :lol:

Krul is the better keeper than Harper imo. He should be thrown into the cold water finally. In Germany it was the case with Neuer and Adler who replaced the veterans Rost and Butt respectively. It turned out to be a good move in both cases.

My XI:

Krul

S.Taylor  Williamson  Coloccini  Enrique

Routledge  Tioté  Barton  Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

My XI I think is realistic:

Harper

Perch  Williamson  Coloccini  Enrique

Routledge  Barton  Jonas

Nolan

Ben Arfa    Carroll

Reckon the one in the OP is about right, I do think there'll be games where playing Ben Arfa on one of the flanks and letting Nolan play just off Carroll may be a good option though.

Even if that were true, it's still one more good game than you've seen Gosling play in this League.  And that's ignoring the couple of good seasons that everyone's seen Barton play for Man City.

To automatically assume that Gosling is currently better than Barton based on what he might do later on in his career is ridiculous mate.

Even if that were true, it's still one more good game than you've seen Gosling play in this League.  And that's ignoring the couple of good seasons that everyone's seen Barton play for Man City.

To automatically assume that Gosling is currently better than Barton based on what he might do later on in his career is ridiculous mate.

Gosling could be shit after his injury.

Remember Owen after his crucial.

One game :lol:

Complete hypocrisy too.

Guest malandro

Different players. Gosling is a high energy box to box midfielder with a decent shot, whereas Barton looks for space and has a good range of passing. Personally I say the subtlety and invention of Barton’s passing is more important to the team.

Harper

R. Taylor       Williamson    Collo     Enrique

Routledge      Smith     Barton      Gutierrez

Ben Arfa      Carroll

Obviously, Carroll would be further up, and Smith a bit further behind Barton. Feel sorry dropping Nolan. For all the grief he gets, hes got us some important goals, and always seems to put in a performance despite his lack of mobility. Williamson is looking like a star buy, and i want to see him prove himself to be a top defender. Perch, havent seen much of him, and i like Taylor going foward, decent throw in's aswell as decentish crossing ability, still not too sure defending wise though. And this Tiote fella, i have NEVER seen him play, so i want to see him come off the bench a few times before i'm going to hoy him in the starting 11. I think the lads have done alright so far without. Gosling might aswell not play for us atm

Bench: Krul Cambell Perch Guthrie Nolan Lovenkrands Tiote

Different players. Gosling is a high energy box to box midfielder with a decent shot, whereas Barton looks for space and has a good range of passing. Personally I say the subtlety and invention of Barton’s passing is more important to the team.

A more reasoned and thought out point of view :thup:

Some people on here will have you stoned for saying Colocini isn't anything other than perfect.  I totally agree, Colocini for 1st 10 mins v villa was awful, let in Ashley Young 3x behind him.

Give over. We all know he has his weaknesses.

One game :lol:

Complete hypocrisy too.

You're missing the point completely.  You said that "I don't think it's totally out of the question that Gosling could be the better player."

What evidence have you got of this?  I've seen Barton have several good seasons at this level, but have never seen Gosling have one stand out game.

That's like saying you would prefer Owen over Carroll though.

Shak and Malandro made good points but for me Goslings energy and goal threat edges it for me. If Barton played anything like he did in Sunday or like he did for Man city on a consistant basis I would completely agree with you but as he puts in good performances less than Ryan Taylor smiles I don't think there is much between them and I would opt for the energy.

What a player did years ago means less and less the more we get burnt and as much as I hope (again!) that Barton is finally getting back to the player he once was I struggle to convince myself so think Gosling could be a better punt.

Harper

S.Taylor

Williamson

Coloccini

Enrique

Ben Arfa

Barton

Tiote

Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

I think Routledge is a massive liability down the right. He was great in the Championship but in the 2 games so far this season he has been giving the ball away too much and not providing enough cover for the RB.

Has Gosling really done enough to justify a place ahead of Barton. Obviously we can only judge him on his time at Everton where he was played out of position on the right. He has a good engine and a decent shot but that's about it at the moment.

But apart from Sunday, what has Barton done to justify his place in the team? What have the new lads done to justify their places in the team?

This thread is obviously based on a lot of assumption and my assumption is Gosling's energy will be more useful to us.

I do GENUINELY hope I am wrong and Barton really turns his career here around because he was a genuinely quality player and the man city Barton would be one of our top 2 players. it's just a shame we have seen that player once in all his time here.

If this thread was made a week ago I am not so sure he would have received such support.