Are Mike and Del Boy Forgiven Now?

MyPalAl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't believe some of the shite I've put in here over the past couple of months. I've been for this quiet approach, I wasn't even too worried about the contract issues. All there is to say now is never forgive. And never forget.

I was starting to forgive them, they kept their heads down, seemed to back Chris in the summer with the Tiote and Ben Arfa signings, things were going on the pitch so I started to forget the shit, but then this, the sacking of Chris was bad enough but to replace him with Pardew is just criminal.

The re-couping his money theory is still a load of bollocks btw. There's no way he can get it back. He's just taking the piss now because things haven't gone as he'd hoped.

I don't think he's taking the piss, he just thinks he can take his Sports Direct business model and apply it to a football club.

Basically, he's just ignorant and incompetent.

The re-couping his money theory is still a load of bollocks btw. There's no way he can get it back. He's just taking the piss now because things haven't gone as he'd hoped.

Just seen this horseshite

For example -  per season - turnover  80m, expenditure 60m, 20m to pay back his loans

Make sense?

For example -  per season - turnover  80m, expenditure 60m, 20m to pay back his loans

Make sense?

would still take 5 years to get just his loan back let alone his full investment which would take 15 years plus

Make sense?

would still take 5 years to get just his loan back let alone his full investment which would take 15 years plus

Ignore investment, he can get that  back when he sells, I'm talking about the loan

Make sense?

Also, surely we're still making a loss?

Make sense?

Also, surely we're still making a loss?

Why do you think that? Since the last time we were in the premiership, basic TV revenues have gone up £8m per club (and we're on all the time this season for which we get £0.5m per match), we have instalment payments coming in for all the players we've sold in the last few years but will have very few instalments going out (as we've paid up front for a good few years now), the wage bill is significantly down, then there's all the advertising revenue we'll be getting from Sports Direct ;), etc

I'll repeat what I said back in July:

As to whether Mike is going to put in £20m, here's my rough working out on the state of the club's finances for this year:

Going by the 2006 accounts which are the last one's I have, I make the annual running costs of the club outside of the wage bill and interest repayments to be around £22m, lets say that's gone up to £25m. In the relegation season, revenue was £86m, down from £99m the previous year. I would expect revenue this year to be somewhere inbetween, say a conservative £90m. Let's also say the wage bill is now around £50m.

I make that 90-50-25 = £15m profit.

Very rough of course, and all based on guestimates, but I think I've very much erred on the side of higher costs and lower income (part of the reason the turnover reduced was because catering was contracted out so costs from that will have gone), but I'm happy for anyone to come along and correct or update any of those figures so we have a more accurate picture. I haven't for example included the money we will be receiving this year for the players sold in the past few years.

The above didn't take into account Summer transfer activity which will have been around the £5m mark?

If the wage bill really is around the £50m mark - which I think is a reasonable estimate - then unless we've somehow picked up some significant extra costs along the way, by my reckoning, we'd have to have a turnover of less than around £80m to not make an operating profit this year, and we've not had a turnover below the mid 80's since 2002.

This is a post taken from another NUFC forum. It's not mine but I have to say it is a very balanced assessment of the situation...

As the dust settles....

What has this week been all about? These are my reflections [naturally, you are not expected to agree with them].

I believe Mike Ashley is a dreadful owner of NUFC, and have frequently said so, often to recriminations. However, I can't, and won't, accept that his agenda is to "screw", or destroy, Newcastle United. For a self-made multi-millionaire who has spent something like £3-400m to date on the club, that is utterly illogical. Yes, the fans upset him post-KK and he tried to dump the business - but only at the right price.

He has become successful building and running a retail business with a very specific modus operandi. This is what he knows, this is what made him successful. Unfortunately, but predictably, he has sought to apply the same principals to running a football club. Some of these concepts, while not the norm within the football world, will be successful, but some don't effectively translate into this new world for him. Nevertheless, that is his comfort zone, and will inevitably guide his every action.

What has been missing in his new business empire imho is experienced council on football matters. He is undoubtedly acquainted with football insiders, and will seek their advice and opinion. However, imo he has badly needed someone on the inside, someone who he implicitly trusts, someone in who he can confide on specific football issues. Today he will believe he finally has that experienced football confidante within the club with the appointment of Alan Pardew.

Part of Ashley's naivety regarding football, and perhaps his achilles heel in this business, is that he does not appear to recognise the importance of keeping the club's supporters 'onside'. He regards them much as he would the customers of his retail business, wherein he would never contemplate communicating to them what he was proposing to do strategically, much less seek their concurrence. This is a major weakness, and one that Pardew will perhaps eventually exert some influence on.

Ashley quite clearly did not believe Chris Hughton had the complete skill set to satisfactorily guide his expensively-acquired asset through the choppy waters of the PL. He came to believe Chris was an excellent coach, rather than an excellent team manager. Ashley probably believes his success in The Championship was largely down to the quality of the high-earning playing sqaud, allied to Hughton's undoubted coaching skills. A good part of Hughton's success was the closeness of the playing sqaud and the small management team, and his direct involvement of a cadre of senior players in some of the decision-making. I suspect Ashley came to believe that this apparent strength could well become a weakness over the long haul - if for no other reason than it is entirely alien to his own method of managing.

It has been suggested this week that Ashley did not believe Hughton was a safe pair of hands in the area of player acquisition, and believed he was not well enough known or respected internationally to attract the kind of young developing talent that Ashley wishes to build the future of the club upon. It is suggested that the two high profile signings in the summer of 2010 - Chiek Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa - were entirely down to Chief Scout, Graham Kerr, with little or no input by Hughton. This may or may not be post-event spin. Conversely, Ashley is reportedly very unhappy at Hughton's signing of Leon Best and James Perch, perhaps unsurprisingly.

If you wrap all of this together it is not too hard to gain an insight into Ashley's thinking with regard to Hughton, however risky and however unsympathetic and hard-nosed the ultimate decision may have seemed. It has also been suggested that Ashley's actions have apparently been influenced by the failure to appoint Alan Shearer as Caretaker Manager during 2008/9 until it was effectively too late to keep the club in the PL, and was not prepared to take that same risk again.

While I disagree with his selection of Alan Pardew to replace Hughton, he fits what I assume to be Ashley's specification almost perfectly. Following on from Allardyce and Keegan, I don't believe there was ever a chance of him hiring another high profile, high cost, and high maintenance manager like Martin O'Neil and the ilk who would demand essentially a free hand to run the football side of the business. Despite the accusations of remoteness, I believe Ashley is actually a hands on manager who wants to be at the epicentre of all major decision-making. For the first time in his troubled period of ownership, Ashley finally has his own man, his first choice, in the dug-out.

Sacking Hughton seems to most people a massive gamble. Ashley has almost certainly weighed the risks in his mind, and concluded that the risks of not acting decisively where likely to be even greater. Only time will tell whether he was right or not.

Taken from this forum.. http://www.notbbc.co.uk/forums/f=unufc

This is a post taken from another NUFC forum. It's not mine but I have to say it is a very balanced assessment of the situation...

As the dust settles....

What has this week been all about? These are my reflections [naturally, you are not expected to agree with them].

I believe Mike Ashley is a dreadful owner of NUFC, and have frequently said so, often to recriminations. However, I can't, and won't, accept that his agenda is to "screw", or destroy, Newcastle United. For a self-made multi-millionaire who has spent something like £3-400m to date on the club, that is utterly illogical. Yes, the fans upset him post-KK and he tried to dump the business - but only at the right price.

He has become successful building and running a retail business with a very specific modus operandi. This is what he knows, this is what made him successful. Unfortunately, but predictably, he has sought to apply the same principals to running a football club. Some of these concepts, while not the norm within the football world, will be successful, but some don't effectively translate into this new world for him. Nevertheless, that is his comfort zone, and will inevitably guide his every action.

What has been missing in his new business empire imho is experienced council on football matters. He is undoubtedly acquainted with football insiders, and will seek their advice and opinion. However, imo he has badly needed someone on the inside, someone who he implicitly trusts, someone in who he can confide on specific football issues. Today he will believe he finally has that experienced football confidante within the club with the appointment of Alan Pardew.

Part of Ashley's naivety regarding football, and perhaps his achilles heel in this business, is that he does not appear to recognise the importance of keeping the club's supporters 'onside'. He regards them much as he would the customers of his retail business, wherein he would never contemplate communicating to them what he was proposing to do strategically, much less seek their concurrence. This is a major weakness, and one that Pardew will perhaps eventually exert some influence on.

Ashley quite clearly did not believe Chris Hughton had the complete skill set to satisfactorily guide his expensively-acquired asset through the choppy waters of the PL. He came to believe Chris was an excellent coach, rather than an excellent team manager. Ashley probably believes his success in The Championship was largely down to the quality of the high-earning playing sqaud, allied to Hughton's undoubted coaching skills. A good part of Hughton's success was the closeness of the playing sqaud and the small management team, and his direct involvement of a cadre of senior players in some of the decision-making. I suspect Ashley came to believe that this apparent strength could well become a weakness over the long haul - if for no other reason than it is entirely alien to his own method of managing.

It has been suggested this week that Ashley did not believe Hughton was a safe pair of hands in the area of player acquisition, and believed he was not well enough known or respected internationally to attract the kind of young developing talent that Ashley wishes to build the future of the club upon. It is suggested that the two high profile signings in the summer of 2010 - Chiek Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa - were entirely down to Chief Scout, Graham Kerr, with little or no input by Hughton. This may or may not be post-event spin. Conversely, Ashley is reportedly very unhappy at Hughton's signing of Leon Best and James Perch, perhaps unsurprisingly.

If you wrap all of this together it is not too hard to gain an insight into Ashley's thinking with regard to Hughton, however risky and however unsympathetic and hard-nosed the ultimate decision may have seemed. It has also been suggested that Ashley's actions have apparently been influenced by the failure to appoint Alan Shearer as Caretaker Manager during 2008/9 until it was effectively too late to keep the club in the PL, and was not prepared to take that same risk again.

While I disagree with his selection of Alan Pardew to replace Hughton, he fits what I assume to be Ashley's specification almost perfectly. Following on from Allardyce and Keegan, I don't believe there was ever a chance of him hiring another high profile, high cost, and high maintenance manager like Martin O'Neil and the ilk who would demand essentially a free hand to run the football side of the business. Despite the accusations of remoteness, I believe Ashley is actually a hands on manager who wants to be at the epicentre of all major decision-making. For the first time in his troubled period of ownership, Ashley finally has his own man, his first choice, in the dug-out.

Sacking Hughton seems to most people a massive gamble. Ashley has almost certainly weighed the risks in his mind, and concluded that the risks of not acting decisively where likely to be even greater. Only time will tell whether he was right or not.

Taken from this forum.. http://www.notbbc.co.uk/forums/f=unufc

Dave should get the cheque book out and try and sign that poster for NO.

We could do with a bit of quality debate amongst all the hysteria and silly threats.

Never mind lads we've only got another 3 years to go.

"As far as we're concerned we see Newcastle United as having an exciting future. It's not a question of anything else'.

"In five years' time I would hope we would be challenging for everything," Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias said.

Derek Llambias Feb 2009 and he wouldnt mislead us surely.

Never mind lads we've only got another 3 years to go.

"As far as we're concerned we see Newcastle United as having an exciting future. It's not a question of anything else'.

"In five years' time I would hope we would be challenging for everything," Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias said.

Derek Llambias Feb 2009 and he wouldnt mislead us surely.

I'm assuming this is the start of the 35827th, brand-spanking new, FIVE YEAR PLAN.