Are Mike and Del Boy Forgiven Now?

MyPalAl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No.

The sports direct@stjames farce, the "no capital outlay" statement. Not taking the full away allocations isn't too good either.

Also, whatever you think about Taylor reading in the paper that your transfer listed is pretty poor but is typical of the way this regime handles things.

The fact that telling downright lies was justified as "public relations" shouldn't be forgotten either

Basically the utter contempt for the support and the club continues to shine through

As I think Ian pointed out in another context, you can't heap all the blame on Ashley for the relegation, and then refuse to give him any credit for the revival.

Managers are very important, and you have to look at their contributions as well. Hughton's hard work and good judgement have been a big part of our revival. Keegan's selfish behaviour and lack of commitment was a big part in our downfall.

:fishing:

Just thought I'd widen the debate. ;)

No.

The sports direct@stjames farce, the "no capital outlay" statement. Not taking the full away allocations isn't too good either.

Also, whatever you think about Taylor reading in the paper that your transfer listed is pretty poor but is typical of the way this regime handles things.

The fact that telling downright lies was justified as "public relations" shouldn't be forgotten either

Basically the utter contempt for the support and the club continues to shine through

Eh? If the supporters don't want (or can't afford, etc.) to go and support the team away from home, why should the CLUB be forced to pay for empty seats? At the same time, giving rival clubs increased revenue? :crazy:

The Taylor situation is fine with me, the club is the only thing that matters, Taylor is such a 'local hero' that he should know full well that the thousands who pay to watch him (sit in the stands, injured) would happily give their little finger to spend a season doing what he does, let alone be paid handsomely for it. If Taylor wants to maximise his career earnings while playing the game, he's entitled to go and find alternative employment but he can't hold the club to ransom. Times are a'changin'.

As I think Ian pointed out in another context, you can't heap all the blame on Ashley for the relegation, and then refuse to give him any credit for the revival.

Managers are very important, and you have to look at their contributions as well. Hughton's hard work and good judgement have been a big part of our revival. Keegan's selfish behaviour and lack of commitment was a big part in our downfall.

:fishing:

Just thought I'd widen the debate. ;)

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00060/keegan4_60913t.jpg

Does not approve.

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

:whistle:

Wait... you mean Keegan didn't quit because Ashley wouldn't give him 250 million pounds so he could buy Beckham, Henry and Ronaldinho?

Just because he's a billionaire doesn't mean he should automatically pump his own cash in. Bet he's spent a lot of money over the last 3 years without taking much back yet.

Yup, even Lerner etc charge interest on their loans, Asley, despite every right to do so, hasn't so far iirc.

from where i can see, we're finally a team - hughton and the players have a togetherness, and also off the pitch hughton ashley and derek seem to have a mutual respect - seems we are starting to lay some foundations.

from where i can see, we're finally a team - hughton and the players have a togetherness, and also off the pitch hughton ashley and derek seem to have a mutual respect - seems we are starting to lay some foundations.

Aye - the team spirit is the best it has been for years.

No.

At the end of the day Ashley is a billionaire who is not prepared to invest significant amounts of money on players.

If we dont spend the money then we will not progress, other than surviving in the premier league, its as simple as that. He's also been lucky in that Hughton is turning out to be a quietly effective manager and that players like Carrol have progressed quicker than I expected.

If he was prepared to spend £20 - 25 million net per season then in 4 or 5 years time we could be challenging for honours again - he's not prepared to do it. He lacks the ambition and for a club with our fan base and potential that is unacceptable

:lol: That's insane.

Made more insane by the fact that it looks that we've strengthened very well this transfer window and we've barely spent like £8m. Throwing money at things isn't always the answer.

Guest BooBoo

Football is a weird thing. Two weeks ago I was pretty despondent. Our transfer dealings had been fairly ordinary and our pre season didnt particulalry hint at anything but struggle this year. This morning, I feel very optimistic about the coming season. I dont think we'll set the world alight but staying up shouldn't be as difficult as it first seemed.

Football is a weird thing. Two weeks ago I was pretty despondent. Our transfer dealings had been fairly ordinary and our pre season didnt particulalry hint at anything but struggle this year. This morning, I feel very optimistic about the coming season. I dont think we'll set the world alight but staying up shouldn't be as difficult as it first seemed.

:thup:

We've got a likeable manager who seems to know what he's doing, we've got a team with a fantastic team spirit, had a good, strong start to the season and we've strengthened in the areas we need to (if Keane comes in) - I can't complain.

Guest Brummiemag

No.

At the end of the day Ashley is a billionaire who is not prepared to invest significant amounts of money on players.

If we dont spend the money then we will not progress, other than surviving in the premier league, its as simple as that. He's also been lucky in that Hughton is turning out to be a quietly effective manager and that players like Carrol have progressed quicker than I expected.

If he was prepared to spend £20 - 25 million net per season then in 4 or 5 years time we could be challenging for honours again - he's not prepared to do it. He lacks the ambition and for a club with our fan base and potential that is unacceptable

Made more insane by the fact that it looks that we've strengthened very well this transfer window and we've barely spent like £8m. Throwing money at things isn't always the answer.

Well show me the clubs (with the possible exception of Arsenal) who regularly win or challenge for honours over the last 15 years who have not spent significant amounts of money on players on a regular basis.

These insane clubs like Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool have clearly got it wrong. 

Guest BooBoo

FFS, we've just been promoted. Did you honestly think we'd launch full on into a trophy quest?

Howay man, get a grip.

Guest Brummiemag

FFS, we've just been promoted. Did you honestly think we'd launch full on into a trophy quest?

Howay man, get a grip.

No but thats not what I said Otter. I'm not expecting to be challenging for anything this season although a good cup run would be nice. I want to see year on year progress but without significant investment I can't see that happening

The bottom line is that if we want to be in a position to challenge for major honours in 4 or 5 years time then we need significant year on year investment in players over that period, otherwise we will never be anything more than a mediocre premier league team whose main ambition will be year on year survival.

No.

Well show me the clubs (with the possible exception of Arsenal) who regularly win or challenge for honours over the last 15 years who have not spent significant amounts of money on players on a regular basis.

These insane clubs like Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool have clearly got it wrong. 

It's about the calibre of players you bring in, not how much you spend on them. Surely as Newcastle fans we've learned that by now? I don't think many teams in the league have actually improved their teams more than we have over the summer (on paper, anyway); if we can do the same in the next windows we might start aiming towards breaching the top 6 again sooner than we expected.

I don't think I have ever seen Brummiemag have anything positive to say about the club recently. Come on mate, stop fixating on how mediocre you think we'll be in the years to come, and start enjoying the feeling that after promotion we look to have a pretty good chance of staying up this year.

I hope not, but who knows, your nemesis Ashley might not even be here by the end of it.