Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

While I would like to hope a midfield with Cabaye and Tiote will be better, no way we can know - Nolan clearly has his limitations but it's impossible to dispute that he did a sterling job last year. Unless you are sure that you have a replacement who is going to effectively going to improve on that level for certain, then you can't just discard Nolan. The team spirit angle is clearly important, our recovery has been built around it - for me Nolan not only should stay for his leadership and club captaincy, he deserves to stay because for the last two seasons he has played out of his skin and been one of our best players by a mile, indisputably so.

On the other hand, the fact that he's holding out suggests to me that he knows that he played above a level expected this year, and he's keen/been advised to cash in on the back of it - I understand the club's position IF they are genuinely thinking "will he do that again?" As others of pointing out, his goalscoring ratio isn't regularly as good as this. Giving him a massive extension on the back of one over-par performance would be counter-productive, especially if our aim (commendably) is to build a younger, energetic pass-and-move kind of team.

My conclusion on the matter is that it's not as serious as it's being made out to be - it's just contractual bargaining where Nolan (understandably) is trying to deservedly cash in, but we're not willing to commit as I don't think the club seriously believes he'll be able to produce at that level, especially with increasing age. If he doesn't accept it, we aren't in bad shape - we keep him for another year or two - if he carries on performing at such a level, extend the contract. If he doesn't, then the risk is justified - that's the key word, 'risk' - we are constantly informed that Ashley is a gambler, this is just another example. From a business point of view I think he's played the situation commendably.

Guest magpie99

It is too early in the close season to deal effectively with renewing contracts for the likes of Barton and Nolan because we do not know what kind of team we are going to have next season and where they will both fit in.

Will we have the pass and move thoroughbreds of Gervinho, Gameiro and N'Zogbia to select from or:

Will it be the likes of Carlton Cole and other rejects brought in.

If it is the first instance, there is probably no place for either Barton or Nolan in the starting line ups therefore it might be wise to cash in on them. However, if it is the latter option, they would both be undoubtedly first choice starters.

Leave the contract extension negotiations until we know who is coming to the club. 

Regardless of who we bring in, it would insanity to discard our emotional leader because we have brought in better players. Maybe next January when the new ones have adjusted and Nolan has been marginalised, we could look at doing something like this. Otherwise, a club at our level for anything less than an exorbitant fee is stupidity.

Guest magpie99

Regardless of who we bring in, it would insanity to discard our emotional leader because we have brought in better players. Maybe next January when the new ones have adjusted and Nolan has been marginalised, we could look at doing something like this. Otherwise, a club at our level for anything less than an exorbitant fee is stupidity.

Chief, maybe so, but what if the player wants guarantees or what if someone like Bolton come in at the last minute and offer us the 6 million price we have quaoted. What do you do then?

Guest WashyGeordie

I can't see the club selling Nolan nor do i see him going this summer, maybe next but not this one.

Plus he's still got a 2 years on his contract left at this present moment in time, so i can't see him going.

nobody would take 3m huh?

I think we might get £4m but I'd be happy enough if we took £3m rather than keep him here. Nolan's been a good pro for us apart from being too fat and probably liking a pint too much, but the Championship or small town premier club is where he belongs.

apparently not fashionable but i might agree with this if they had someone good lined to replace him + cabaye

if cabaye is the replacement then it's a bit shite as we need quality in numbers, would rather see guthrie and smith leave for fuck and keep nolan if he won't be replaced properly

I think we are probably banking on Gosling playing a much bigger role next season, he's a similar type of player. There's always a risk in moving on an influential player but you can't grow as a club without taking calculated risks.

Exactly. I do think a lot of this panic about Nolan going amounts to a fear of the unknown more than anything.

And yes, if Gosling recovers his fitness he should be competing with Nolan for the same role.

Almost exactly my thoughts. It would be insanity, therefore I'd say there is at least a 70% chance of it happening.

@lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc #westham yet to table a fresh bid for Kevin Nolan and no price tag has been slapped on the Scouser, despite morning reports

Mail reported he had a £6 million 'tag'.

@lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc #westham yet to table a fresh bid for Kevin Nolan and no price tag has been slapped on the Scouser, despite morning reports

Aye, I saw that. Then a couple of hours later, Lee Ryder tweeted the above.

@lee_ryder Lee Ryder

Aye, I saw that. Then a couple of hours later, Lee Ryder tweeted the above.

Its all guesswork to be honest. Have a feeling we may sell him though. Not sure he'll be willing to up sticks to London though ...

Other than goals and leadership abilities (which are very important btw)he offers absolutely nothing to our team. I would like to see him here for one more year, help new players to adjust and maybe start 50% of the games. Xavi doesn't score many goals but what he brings to the team in terms of passing, creating changes for others and controlling games is invaluable. I would rather have a player like that.

Let's face it he's hasn't got the quality to start every game for a team challenging for Europe and that's what we should be aiming for.

I'm just sat here wondering how fat Nolan would be if he wasn't getting first team football.

Wouldn't mind him leaving this Summer at all as long as we bring in the replacements to be perfectly honest. I'd far rather we tried to keep hold of Barton than Kevno