Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Nolan's never been known for providing a killer pass though, has he? The whole reason he's in the team is because he gets on the end of things and scores goals.

Assuming that Nolan does the "easy passing" well, if he ends up getting the same amount of goals as a more creative AM gets assists, isn't he essentially doing the same thing? (In a much less pretty way, of course)

Nolan's never been known for providing a killer pass though, has he? The whole reason he's in the team is because he gets on the end of things and scores goals.

punks original post where pretty much agrees with that, the bit in bold being key:

He's been vital, but I cannot see him being a regular next season. His mobility  suffers because he's too fat and too slow. And his  passing is inaccurate. In fact, he doesn't have a single ability required for an offensive midfielder. He's a genius inside the box, but only on set pieces and in  the play that subsequently follows, where we have many people inside the box and are able to keep up the pressure. In spite of all his faults, he's managed to score 11 goals. That should say something about his potential. If only he could have been more dedicated, like Bale (no drinking, junk food). He's not worth 50 a week unless he gets into shape. But I'd love to see him signing a  long term contract that's not as lucrative. He's an excellent person to have in the team.

i think punk was reasonably spot on bar his use of the word "inaccurate", i think things went a little off topic there but otherwise i agree with him

Assuming that Nolan does the "easy passing" well, if he ends up getting the same amount of goals as a more creative AM gets assists, isn't he essentially doing the same thing? (In a much less pretty way, of course)

i guess the point would be that in a 4 man midfield as the AM if he isn't dictating the game and providing the killer passes, someone else is doing it for him

i guess the point would be that in a 4 man midfield as the AM if he isn't dictating the game and providing the killer passes, someone else is doing it for him

Hmm, I think that might be the lad we have playing out on the right.

:lol:

punk will no doubt answer but isn't he essentially saying that for being considered our primary AM he has a poor range of 'attack-minded' passes and his range is more akin to a DM?

wouldn't disagree with that entirely

Despite the flak he's taking on here his point is a good one. Also the photo of Nolan in his earlier career indisputably proves the fact that the version which is playing for us is a lard arse.

Guest Roger Kint

Tiote getting brought into a 'killer pass' comment beggars belief though. Based on the chalkboard Punk provided Tiote made 3 passes within 40 yards of goal, all away from the box.........

Hmm, I think that might be the lad we have playing out on the right.

agreed

Maybe yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. My personal view is that the team would function better without him in the long-run, but we're not at the point where we should be leaving him out yet.

He's basically a relatively tidy but immobile central midfield player who has a knack of getting into the box at the right time because he reads the game well. I wouldn't even call him an attacking midfielder in the sense we're discussing.

Maybe yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. My personal view is that the team would function better without him in the long-run, but we're not at the point where we should be leaving him out yet.

He's basically a relatively tidy but immobile central midfield player who has a knack of getting into the box at the right time because he reads the game well. I wouldn't even call him an attacking midfielder in the sense we're discussing.

There could be an argument that a goal poaching forward could do a similar job, as Michael Owen did under Keegan, except he was more mobile. It's a moot point as we don't have one but if we did....

Tiote getting brought into a 'killer pass' comment beggars belief though. Based on the chalkboard Punk provided Tiote made 3 passes within 40 yards of goal, all away from the box.........

Of course, that sentence was too literal. Tiote doesn't make killer breakthrough passes. And it's not his job either. It should be Nolan's

Guest Roger Kint

Of course, that sentence was too literal. Tiote doesn't make killer breakthrough passes. And it's not his job either. It should be Nolan's

If only we had other attacking players in our team capable of 14 goals/assists so far to help share this burden........

We get it you dont like him, the fact is he will still be playing next season regardless of what we want to happen.

If only we had other attacking players in our team capable of 14 goals/assists so far to help share this burden........

I focused only on arguments relating to why Nolan should NOT play NEXT season.

Just for the fun of it, I checked the chalkboard for Nolan and Guthrie against Fulham, which was one of the worst performances of the year. In this match, :tiote: was suspended.  Also, Sholadinhio was injured early and that dented our plans. On the other hand, Shola didnt' play against Blackburn either. Also Perch was on the pitch in the better part of that game. But Shola's absence probably hurts more against Fulham which is one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Against Blackburn, we managed to win the war in the middle. Nolan's simple play and Tiote's omnipresence resulted in the opponent constantly chasing the ball without getting it.  Against Fulham we won the total possession with only 1%, but did not create decent chances. Maybe our passing ability could partially explain why?

Guthrie's passing against Fulham

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3420/dannye.jpg

He made 44 passes but missed on 12 of them. In other words, he missed on every third pass, approximately.  But what did surprise me was how  he tried to distribute the ball. Look how the pattern is evenly distributed in all directions and everywhere on the pitch, except inside the opponent's box.  This is a pattern I expect from a decent midfielder.  It's not only short passes around the middle. If fact, most of his passes are of the longish kind.  And they're longitudinal too. Although he has a high passing inaccuracy, his passing attempts are more difficult and as a result the room for error decreases.

Nolan's passing against Fulham

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8233/nolan2.jpg

In this match Nolan managed only 19 passes. However, he missed on 7 of them. So he has the same inaccuracy as Guthrie and much worse than what he delivered against Blackburn.  Again, notice how concentrated his passes are, and that most of them are fairly short. In fact, he did not make one offensive pass during the whole game (nicely spotted Ian W). His poor passing pattern and accuracy  could probably be attributed to Fulham's defensive skills, but also to Nolan's lack of movement, which enabled Fulham to close him down, fast. And Nolan's game probably suffered heavily from the lack of Tiote. Although Guthrie tried to distribute the ball nicely, his passing inaccuracy was too high. Also he's not close to Tiote in his defensive abilities and protection of other players. In other words, more responsibility fell on Nolan's shoulders than usual. And his above pattern probably show that he did not cope as well. At this level, his statistics are probably very weak indeed.  And did Guthrie and Nolan have a clear role distinction. Who was the DM and who was the offensive CM?  From the pattern one might expect that Guthrie was the offensive CM, but I don't think that was how the play really panned out.

Maybe what I've now mentioned partially explain why we were s*** that day?  Appreciate comments  O0

Guest Roger Kint
Appreciate comments  O0

Your obsession will change nothing, just for the fun how about getting over it?

Guest Roger Kint

How about you getting over the fact that you're wrong and I'm correct ;)  But seriously though, I did it just for fun..:)

How can i be wrong when all i did was ask a question? Not sure what fun you get over obsessing about 1 player like you do.