Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Guest Stephen927

FWIW

I know this won't be a popular view, but even if he ends the season on 15 Premiership goals (terrific return), ideally he's someone we really need to be selling. There are a whole bunch of reasons that when combined make perfect sense imo, e.g.:

- His fitness is already borderline-appalling as it is Lazy, lazy analysis. This is a guy who has played 30+ games every season since he was 18. Unfit players simply do not survive in the Premiership, particularly if they're "borderline-appalling" - with the notable exeption of Matt le Tissier. Nolan's game is all about getting into the box as a late runner, picking up the knockdowns and scraps - is it any wonder that he looks visibly tired at the 80minute mark when he's been up and down the pitch all game?

- He's nearing the big 3-0, when players tend to decline sharply Really? This sounds like another lazy soundbite, Nolan has avoided serious injury throughout his career, as he gets older he gets more experienced and is able to time his runs and position himself better and become more effective. See: Scholes, P; Lampard, F; as another example of a Premiership midfielder who hasn't "declined sharply" at the 30-year mark.

- He's very limited as a midfielder, in fact...Football (Game); objective: to score more goals than the opposition. Kevin Nolan scores goals.

- He's been a passenger for the majority of our games this season, carried by Tiote for the most part.More lazy analysis. Granted, Tiote is a huge addition to our first team and every player benefits from having him in our side (from Harper, to Colo to Lovenkrands), Nolan is no different. However, we didn't have Tiote in our team last season (Nolan scored 18 goals). Similarly, in the games where Tiote has been suspended (mackems away?) Nolan has been just as effective. He was by no way the scapegoat for Bolton (a) or the Fulham (a) games. Curiously, Tiote's worst performance coincided with Nolan being injured (Wigan at home).

- His value/stock this summer will be high due to the goals (e.g. £8m sale?), despite the possibility that...Get out. Even if people are paying £35m for Carroll (!!), you've spent the rest of your post slagging Nolan off...why on earth do you think a Premiership manager would pay £8m if he's as useless as you try to say? :lol:

- This might be his purple patch, the peak he'll struggle to reach again, especially without Carroll here anymore. Really? He's scored 3 goals in 2011 without AC in the team, only Leon Best has been more prolific. Furthermore,

- if Tiote can carry him, then why not Ben Arfa, Ireland or Barton in attacking free roles? They're considerably more talented than Nolan. which leads to my next point, Why not have creative players AND goalscorers? Play all of them (if they're ever fit together)

- if we spend the Carroll money on a decent pair of strikers and a winger, i.e. if we can get goals elsewhere, Nolan's importance is significantly reduced, andTrue, as the squad improves then Nolan's contribution will diminish and he's on-the-field role will reduce; however, what also endears me to the club captain is that he's openly admitted that he'll not hold the team back if he can't compete. While he's able to, I want people like him around the club and the dressing room

- depending on the type of strikers we'll get (if any), creativity rather than goals may become more important from central midfield.While we're still trying to become an established Premiership team, we're going to be playing 4-5-1 a fair bit and we'll need as much experience in that midfield as we can get, I don't see much sense (financially or for squad harmony) to exclude someone who has done as much as anyone else (if not more) to return us to the Premiership and reconstruct the atmosphere around the playing staff. Change for change's sake :undecided:

Having said this, I'll not be unhappy if he's still a fixture in our team next season. But even so, moving players on at the right time (i.e. before a significant decline) has always been a major failure at this club, ever since Keegan left (and he was class at being ruthless and getting rid of a player after he's served his purpose in order to improve the team and move the club forward).

I totally agree! He brings very little to pitch outside the box. He's carried by Tiote's excellence, which allows him to sneak into the opponent box.  He could be a much better player if he wants to though. Some  pundits in Norway have ridiculed Nolan's body, stating directly that he looks like a pub player. And I tend to agree. He's 30 soon and should take more responsibility for what he's eating. He's too fat which hurts his overall play (slow, weak stamina and moves too little). But if he pays more attention to his lifestyle he could be able to hold his place next season. Loose a couple of couple of pounds, and he will improve his play considerable imo This is just more lazy analysis, do you even know what Nolan does during a game? See the comments above.

:kinnear:

He was good in the first half. Made a couple of good tackles, ran into the ground and took his goal well. Was pretty wasteful and lethargic in the second half, though. Disappointed not to see him make one or two trademark late runs when Best was winning all of them headers.

No way we should sell him, like. Improve on him in the transfer market, sure, but i wouldn't even be looking at just yet. He's a passenger without Tiote, but with the triumverate of Barton, Tiote and him - he plays a crucial role very efficiently. Plus, he's an excellent captain, when he's not on LiverpoolTV, obvs. Selling him would be a bloody joke - i'd be happy having him as a starter next season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

FWIW

What's your analysis, Stu? All I see there are contradictions and your opinion. You're asking people to expand on their opinions, and move away from 'soundbites', yet you've used several yourself. I know you champion Nolan, and feel like you need to defend him whenever possible, but I'd love to see (figures, graphs, etc) what you see that other people don't.

For what its worth, in a 3 game analysis for Newcastle United (Tottenham, Fulham & Arsenal), Kevin Nolan as CM played the fewest passes (most of which were dump passes to a more creative player), the fewest tackles, fewest interceptions, and his average position was dead on the half way line. Once I've submitted the work, I'll post it up on the forum in the tactics thread, so people can read it.

No way we should sell him, like. Improve on him in the transfer market, sure, but i wouldn't even be looking at just yet. He's a passenger without Tiote, but with the triumverate of Barton, Tiote and him - he plays a crucial role very efficiently. Plus, he's an excellent captain, when he's not on LiverpoolTV, obvs. Selling him would be a bloody joke - i'd be happy having him as a starter next season.

This exactly.

I know this won't be a popular view, but even if he ends the season on 15 Premiership goals (terrific return), ideally he's someone we really need to be selling. There are a whole bunch of reasons that when combined make perfect sense imo, e.g.:

- His fitness is already borderline-appalling as it is,

- He's nearing the big 3-0, when players tend to decline sharply,

- He's very limited as a midfielder, in fact...

- He's been a passenger for the majority of our games this season, carried by Tiote for the most part.

- His value/stock this summer will be high due to the goals (e.g. £8m sale?), despite the possibility that...

- This might be his purple patch, the peak he'll struggle to reach again, especially without Carroll here anymore. Furthermore,

- if Tiote can carry him, then why not Ben Arfa, Ireland or Barton in attacking free roles? They're considerably more talented than Nolan. which leads to my next point,

- if we spend the Carroll money on a decent pair of strikers and a winger, i.e. if we can get goals elsewhere, Nolan's importance is significantly reduced, and

- depending on the type of strikers we'll get (if any), creativity rather than goals may become more important from central midfield.

Having said this, I'll not be unhappy if he's still a fixture in our team next season. But even so, moving players on at the right time (i.e. before a significant decline) has always been a major failure at this club, ever since Keegan left (and he was class at being ruthless and getting rid of a player after he's served his purpose in order to improve the team and move the club forward).

I totally agree! He brings very little to pitch outside the box. He's carried by Tiote's excellence, which allows him to sneak into the opponent box.  He could be a much better player if he wants to though. Some  pundits in Norway have ridiculed Nolan's body, stating directly that he looks like a pub player. And I tend to agree. He's 30 soon and should take more responsibility for what he's eating. He's too fat which hurts his overall play (slow, weak stamina and moves too little). But if he pays more attention to his lifestyle he could be able to hold his place next season. Loose a couple of couple of pounds, and he will improve his play considerable imo

:kinnear: @ the both of you

EDIT: Apologies, I assume the both of you are grown adults who have an undertanding of the game, the club and our recent history. However, on the off chance that you're both teenager newcomers to NUFC, living in some remote arctic tundra, then I apologise for being so blunt.

:lol: Fanboys are class.

FWIW

What's your analysis, Stu? All I see there are contradictions and your opinion. You're asking people to expand on their opinions, and move away from 'soundbites', yet you've used several yourself. I know you champion Nolan, and feel like you need to defend him whenever possible, but I'd love to see (figures, graphs, etc) what you see that other people don't.

For what its worth, in a 3 game analysis for Newcastle United (Tottenham, Fulham & Arsenal), Kevin Nolan as CM played the fewest passes (most of which were dump passes to a more creative player), the fewest tackles, fewest interceptions, and his average position was dead on the half way line. Once I've submitted the work, I'll post it up on the forum in the tactics thread, so people can read it.

Fair play if you do, but I don't really see what points I've made that I haven't provided some sort of support to go with it (if able to). I don't see Nolan as a creative player, I see him as a tidy distributor who tries to get on the end of attacking situations.

His most improtant work comes off the ball and in the dressing room by leading the team.

He's a leader and he has scored some important goals for us. That is enough to keep him in the team at the moment, but as a footballer he is very limited.

I've never rated him, and I think his physical condition lets him down, but I've been forced to admit that he's very important to us at the moment.

A team is more than just a collection of the best individuals, and at the moment Nolan is a part of our team. Also, we don't have any decent alternatives.

Fair play if you do, but I don't really see what points I've made that I haven't provided some sort of support to go with it (if able to). I don't see Nolan as a creative player, I see him as a tidy distributor who tries to get on the end of attacking situations.

His most improtant work comes off the ball and in the dressing room by leading the team.

Replace him with better and leave him where you think he does his best work and we'll both be happy.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

FWIW

Doesn't convince me, that a CM's best qualities are indirect influences such as dressing room leadership. Like I mentioned, his closing down, passing, tackling, general movement off the ball is lacking. Still waiting back to find out if I can get the total distance covered from the 3 games from OPTA or not (without paying). Be interesting to see if its high, low or 'in the middle of the pack'.

However, saying that...

He played a decent ball forward today for one of our strikers, and when he scores you do 'turn a blind eye' to his limitations as midfielder, as they often turn out to be crucial goals. 

If he is scoring goals he has to play when they dry up then we should look at dropping & selling him.

I think a central midfielder has to dictate the game and be a big part of the closing down, passing and movement in the side. If he's not doing that then he's allowing the opposition to dominate possession whether he scores goals or not.

Guest toonlass

Sorry, but Nolan brings something to the team in the way of goals and leadership. He has scored 11 goals now, who else in our team comes close to that? Also he is a good, no very good captain. He is intelligent, he gets into good positions and scores from them.

Sorry, but Nolan brings something to the team in the way of goals and leadership. He has scored 11 goals now, who else in our team comes close to that? Also he is a good, no very good captain. He is intelligent, he gets into good positions and scores from them.

interesting that when enriique fucked up and we gave away a corner (first half) it was nolan he looked up to and said basically "i'm sorry i know i fucked up"

If he is scoring goals he has to play when they dry up then we should look at dropping & selling him.

I think a central midfielder has to dictate the game and be a big part of the closing down, passing and movement in the side. If he's not doing that then he's allowing the opposition to dominate possession whether he scores goals or not.

I would say scoring dictates the game. I have never seen a player close down the keeper at corners like Kev. Gets & it gives to people who can create. He moves towards goal. Pardew has got 4 (FOUR) analyst + all the coaching staff views & he is still picking him because he is not soley picking his team off the info the analyst give him.

Would rather have him in the team the Danny Guthrie. IF Stevie Ireland can do enough to get signed up full time for next season he could replace Nolan, of course he would need  to get near the form of a few seasons ago because of late he has been gash.

I would say scoring dictates the game. I have never seen a player close down the keeper at corners like Kev. Gets & it gives to people who can create. He moves towards goal. Pardew has got 4 (FOUR) analyst + all the coaching staff views & he is still picking him because he is not soley picking his team off the info the analyst give him.

Would rather have him in the team the Danny Guthrie. IF Stevie Ireland can do enough to get signed up full time for next season he could replace Nolan, of course he would need  to get near the form of a few seasons ago because of late he has been gash.

also notice when the oppo has a free kick, if the ball drops nolan is the first reading it. it's like he is designated sweeper from oppo dead balls.

interesting that when enriique f***ed up and we gave away a corner (first half) it was nolan he looked up to and said basically "i'm sorry i know i f***ed up"

It was also interesting that Nolan screwed up in front of the Leazes and started screaming at Williamson as if to say it was his fault.

interesting that when enriique f***ed up and we gave away a corner (first half) it was nolan he looked up to and said basically "i'm sorry i know i f***ed up"

It was also interesting that Nolan screwed up in front of the Leazes and started screaming at Williamson as if to say it was his fault.

quite probable. also canny to see was harper saying "i know" to the gallowgate after fucking up another clearance.