Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

MOTM v Wigan. Went past them at will time and time again second half.

Needs a simple chant making up. the 'oh gutierez' one is too complex it seems.

After one particularly good run at the end of the game earning a pressure relieving free kick near the corner flag, Our lot started chanting Jose (ole) when i'm sure they wanted a Jonas chant but no one could be bothered to improvise one.

shame.

Aye he was good today, will be knocked for not scoring but I thought the keeper did really well to put him off.

That attempt was pathetic though. If you watch the replay he barely gets any power behind it at all, very much scuffs the shot. The way the keeper came out should have made the chance easier too, as he had the option to either lift it over or just go round him. Luckily the miss didn't mean anything thanks to Wigan's left back, if not then I think it would be fair to crucify him for missing a golden opportunity in such an inept manner - much like Owen in our relegation season with his pathetic attempt to convert what should have been an easy 1-on-1.

For all the negatives about him, we missed him today

He'd have drawn a load of fouls etc which would've won us more set pieces but the way they were going today we could still be there now and we wouldn't score one.

We know his weaknesses but we have forgotten just how badly we rely on him and Jose to actually play our football. Without the outlet Nolan and co are reduced to lumping it high and long.

He'd have drawn a load of fouls etc which would've won us more set pieces but the way they were going today we could still be there now and we wouldn't score one.

But....... we did score?

But....... we did score?

Not from a set piece, which was the point I was making about the main difference Jonas would've mde today.

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Guest Roger Kint

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

Wouldn't expect anything less to be honest. Praise the rest of the team and blame everything else on Jonas.

Guest Roger Kint

Wouldn't expect anything less to be honest. Praise the rest of the team and blame everything else on Jonas.

Players get praise when they earn it, am pretty stupid like that. Out of interest where the hell is my praise for the rest of the team in that quote?

I can see why other forums call this place Nuerotics Online at times. They way some of our players get slated you'd think we would be ten points adrift at the bottom of the table.

Yes it would be nice If Jonas had more end product to his game, but ignoring the fact that his ability to keep the ball in the oppositions half often while doubled up on is plainly ridiculous.

Guest Roger Kint

Who's your favourite players then Roger, can't say i expect too many suprises here...

In our team? Take your pick from Barton/Carroll/Jose/Colo/Tiote, hard to say i have one particular favourite as all have been great this season. At a push, as i am sure you will ask again i would say Colo edges Tiote very marginally fwiw.

By any chance is Jonas your favourite player hence the rosetinted glasses? No doubt you will try and say otherwise but that wont surprise me......

Guest Roger Kint

I can see why other forums call this place Nuerotics Online at times. They way some of our players get slated you'd think we would be ten points adrift at the bottom of the table.

Yes it would be nice If Jonas had more end product to his game, but ignoring the fact that his ability to keep the ball in the oppositions half often while doubled up on is plainly ridiculous.

Yeah its disgusting when people venture an honest opinion based on performance instead of who the player is isnt it?

There are very few footballers in the world who have even close to every component of their game perfected and of those that have none (at this moment in time at least!) are going to join Newcastle United. As much we would all like Jonas to be the perfect winger the fact of the matter is that he is not and I believe once you accept him for what he is you are able to see much more of the positive things which he does; this is certainly the case for me anyway.

Yes his crossing is average, he sometimes goes missing and he cannot really shoot (although he is improving), however, in midfield we have Barton and Nolan who have an eye for goal and Barton's crossing has also been excellent from deep. Enrique and Simpson also know how to put a ball in a decent area. Again, a lot of the time he is frustrating and I personally get annoyed at the fact he seems to think that he has to run the long way around the back of Jose every time he finds himself in a position behind him!

However there are also positives:

- he provides an outlet from defence (he is quicker than you think)

- his close control of the ball is good

- he links up well with enrique and the pair of them draw the opposition over to the left side of the pitch, leaving space on the opposite flank

- he draws a lot of freekicks in wide areas allowing us a chance of a scoring opportunity for set pieces

- he is seemingly one of the fitter players on the pitch and does a lot of running during a game

I've said it before that our midfield on paper shouldn't work and it as anomaly that it does. That it does is as much down to the positive contributions of Jonas as anyone else. Take one cog out of that midfield and it is not as effective in my opinion.