Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Yeah i expect Jonas to be perfect, thats my problem :facepalm:

Where do I suggest that you expect him to be perfect?

'There are very few footballers in the world who have even close to every component of their game perfected and of those that have none (at this moment in time at least!) are going to join Newcastle United. As much we would all like Jonas to be the perfect winger the fact of the matter is that he is not and I believe once you accept him for what he is you are able to see much more of the positive things which he does; this is certainly the case for me anyway.'

Thats as much of your post as i bothered to read. I offered a reply as daft as what you said.

Fair enough. Was simply a statement of fact and, taken in context with the rest of the post, was just a round about way of me saying that "hes not perfect but...", however,  as you said you didn't read the rest of the post.

Guest Roger Kint

Go on then, offer an opinion as to where i got it hopelessly wrong?

The fact he carried a knock for most of that performance, we won 5-0, he had an indirect part in a couple of the goals, he got his marker booked, the fact he has played much, much worse for us in other games but you've chosen that one, the wild hyperbole you've used - I don't and i doubt many others would for a second believe that's one of the worst wing play performances in the last 10 years.

So you agree with my first point.

Maybe i am being too picky but i expect a winger to get within 30 yards ot the oppositions box more than once or twice, he spent most the game 20 yards either side of half way doing nothing. I will take your word for it that he was injured very early on, seems mental that our manager would risk him by forcing him to play on but fair enough you clearly know best. Wild hyperbole it may have been but outside of this forum many people i have spoken to think he is a lot worse than i do. I love the outrage when Jonas' performances are brought into question compared to others less deserving of it.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah i expect Jonas to be perfect, thats my problem :facepalm:

Where do I suggest that you expect him to be perfect?

'There are very few footballers in the world who have even close to every component of their game perfected and of those that have none (at this moment in time at least!) are going to join Newcastle United. As much we would all like Jonas to be the perfect winger the fact of the matter is that he is not and I believe once you accept him for what he is you are able to see much more of the positive things which he does; this is certainly the case for me anyway.'

Thats as much of your post as i bothered to read. I offered a reply as daft as what you said.

Fair enough. Was simply a statement of fact and, taken in context with the rest of the post, was just a round about way of me saying that "hes not perfect but...", however,  as you said you didn't read the rest of the post.

'As much as we would all like Jonas to be perfect' - Not a statement of fact by any stretch of the imagination! Guess we shall agree to disagree though as I dont want to get into more with other parts of your post(i have since read it)

Guest neesy111

Never seen a player divide fans as much as Jonas.  He's a funny one.

Laurent Robert.

Hmm, people could question his work-rate but his ability wasn't in doubt imo.

Go on then, offer an opinion as to where i got it hopelessly wrong?

The fact he carried a knock for most of that performance, we won 5-0, he had an indirect part in a couple of the goals, he got his marker booked, the fact he has played much, much worse for us in other games but you've chosen that one, the wild hyperbole you've used - I don't and i doubt many others would for a second believe that's one of the worst wing play performances in the last 10 years.

So you agree with my first point.

Maybe i am being too picky but i expect a winger to get within 30 yards ot the oppositions box more than once or twice, he spent most the game 20 yards either side of half way doing nothing. I will take your word for it that he was injured very early on, seems mental that our manager would risk him by forcing him to play on but fair enough you clearly know best. Wild hyperbole it may have been but outside of this forum many people i have spoken to think he is a lot worse than i do. I love the outrage when Jonas' performances are brought into question compared to others less deserving of it.

I agree that is often inconsistent and sometimes poor yes.

And therein lies your problem. Hyperbole nullifies your point to me, if you'd put what you'd put second time round I might actually be doing what I get paid for instead of chatting wingers.

Guest neesy111

I've said that we have no-one else and that is my biggest issue, as he has no competition for the LM/LW position.  The last time he was dropped, we got an instant reaction with his best game for us v Man City.

I agree and Ben arfa coming back might give him a kick up the arse not that he should be needing it as you don't see José putting in half arsed performances despite having no competition for his spot.

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

He did a lot of bombing, you said we hadn't seen any in some time.  You were wrong.  Despite his many faults, he bombed up and down that flank all afternoon and was a fundamental component in us getting a valuable win.  I was there and cheered him 'til hoarse.  his attitude was excellent and his role pivotal in the win.

I've ran out of patience with Jonas after the last month or so having always been a fan HOWEVER, I've got a funny feeling he'll do something this weekend...............win a pen, play a blinder or notch a goal (however unlikely).

You would think after watching us attempt to play football without the Jonas/Enrique axis at Stevenage people would lay off for a while. Jonas end product is s*** without a doubt but without him there we struggle to get it out of our own half without booting it upfield in desperation. When HBA is ready I want to see him on the left wing, until then be thankful for small mercies.

Agree with this, bar i'd want to try Ben arfa up top just behind Carroll (in the beardsley type role) before we look break up the very good Jonas/Enrique partnership. Its one of the best parts of the team. Jonas works hard links up with Enrique very well, defends, tracks back well (better than Ben Arfa i suspect,  in all fairnesss that remains to be seen), carrys the ball out of defence better than anyone else in our team, makes runs, makes himself availiable.

Ok he's not a great crosser being predominantly right footed its harder to cross on his left (perhaps try him on the right if the right injuries occur to barton etc). However because he cuts in on his right often and sometimes goes past people on the left too he's unpredictable, forces teams on the back foot and they struggle to keep a high line of defence against us.

Barton has been a revelation on the right, his crossing is beckham esque and he doesn't need to beat a man (and leave us more vunerable to counter attacks) to put his crosses in. Jonas is a very different type of winger and we need both.

Jonas has though struggled in the past with being our only decent creative outlet and opposition teams have tried to nullify him. Hopefully we'll have better options soon  i.e. Ben arfa has good movement and will offer a good option pass along the floor as well as the Carroll option in the air.

Routledge has offered the team next to nothing in the premiership, struggles to cross on his best foot, doesn't cut inside, doesn't take people on enough and even when he does beat his man can't cross or if there is no one in the box hasn't the intelligence to have a crack himself. If we can keep Barton and

I believe that de Jong tackle has knackered our season and we'd be at least above the mackems/bolton now had we had Ben Arfa fit. I can see Jonas carrying the ball out of defence, beating several players, cutting inside and playing the ball along the floor to livewire ben arfal more than i can see him going outside on left and finding carrolls head with a pin point high cross. The latter will rarely happen he's not really cut out for it.

I'd try

Harper

Simpson Willi/taylor  Colo  Enrique

Barton  Tiote    Nolan  Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

A good 1st team. But we desperately need strength in depth as is several of these players are out and we replace them with Smith and routledge we are going to struggle. If we can sign better replacements for any of these then great.

Never seen a player divide fans as much as Jonas.  He's a funny one.

Laurent Robert.

Hmm, people could question his work-rate but his ability wasn't in doubt imo.

Laurent Robert was another favourite of mine (still love him) like Jonas the fans used him a scapegoat when things aren't going well. Robert was the opposite of Jonas in which he had a gifted left foot which could strike a cracking ball in or effort on goal although it wasn't always the most consistant, his work rate however was nowhere near in the same league as Jonas' however they both share the attacking minded approach to the game who loved to be direct and try and beat a man for pace or skill. They both shared a brilliant partnership with their left back, Enrique/Jonas, Bernard/Robert, both these partnerships are fantastic and neither player seem as good when the other one is missing.

Why are people comparing Robert to Jonas ffs. There is no comparison.

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

Guest neesy111

They were both scapegoats but for different reasons.  Robert would be about work ethic, Jonas is about his footballing ability.

Why are people comparing Robert to Jonas ffs. There is no comparison.

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

The two of them combined would be one of the best LW's in the world.

People who absused Robert just didn't understand football. It was also far easier to have a go at him than Shearer.

Some of his performances were woeful though - so I think he did sometimes deserve some flak.  And I was a big fan of his.