Would Jonas make a better central midfielder?

James

Well - I just told you where I read he was highly rated?!

I am not really sure how me saying people in Spain thought he was highly rated can be classed as tosh yet Ronaldo giving a stereotypical OTT personal opinion about Jonas is ok?? 

He wasn't a rated player, he was a player that people expected to come good since he had all the same flaws in his game that he exhibits now but was young and new to Europe, but has obviously stagnated.

As said, Güiza, Ibagaza and Valero were the top dogs at Mallorca at the time.

i see the idea of him playing centrally, like kieron dyer used to do for us but i think just keep him where he knows his position, just needs more work on his delivery

Think he just has to swallow his pride and cut back in to cross with his right, that's all it is really. He's one of those players who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is, which makes his descision making poor a lot of the time. The current side is still better with him in it.

Regardless my real point was to state that he clearly isn't crap now and was never regarded as being crap in Spain or Argentina.  So to label him as such is ridiculous.

He isn't crap but he isn't really that dangerous either for a 'winger', what he does do is hold onto the ball and buy us time. For Argentina he's a player who can cover 2/3 positions and is in the squad for that reason.

i see the idea of him playing centrally, like kieron dyer used to do for us but i think just keep him where he knows his position, just needs more work on his delivery

Think he just has to swallow his pride and cut back in to cross with his right, that's all it is really. He's one of those players who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is, which makes his descision making poor a lot of the time. The current side is still better with him in it.

Aye pretty much. I'm still a fan like because unlike the rest of the jokers on our team currently he buys us time and offers us an outlet for he can actually hold onto the ball for a while/win us a FK/drive us 20-30 yards further upfield rather than just punting it.

He wasn't a rated player, he was a player that people expected to come good since he had all the same flaws in his game that he exhibits now but was young and new to Europe, but has obviously stagnated.

As said, Güiza, Ibagaza and Valero were the top dogs at Mallorca at the time.

This is pretty much the correct analysis imo.

I always rated his workrate, mind, particularly in a team like Mallorca that was a pretty important quality. Plus his pace. But he's never been a player with good delivery. I remember him hitting one of the most hilariously soft penalties I have ever seen at Camp Nou. A penalty he won himself, though.

Also to get back to the topic of the thread, I'm pretty damn sure Jonás was played on the centre ocasionally at Mallorca. Can't remember how he performed there, though. But a centremid with pace and good physicality (he was pretty big for a La Liga player) isn't a daft idea if you play counter.

Guest neesy111

He's 27 he should of had it perfected by the time he was 22-23.  He's never ever going to improve as he would of done so by now.

His passing isn't bad, seen him play some lovely reverse passes on numerous occasions and he's nifty with the outside of his boot it's just that nobody makes a run ahead of him to do these passes. The problem for Jonas is the way we play, he'd be a lot more effective with a striker that moves ahead of him and a CM that can keep up as i think Jonas suffers from a lack of options.

His crossing is only poor with his left foot, he has a decent delivery on his right tbh but i don't see why this is Jonas' fault some of the best players in the world are ridiculously one-footed it's just their managers play to their strengths.

His shooting isn't terrible either, he can hit them even Stevie G would have been over the moon with that strike last season.

This is pretty much my view, I think the criticism of Jonas is over the top, especially considering some of the other average players we have.

With more movement inside him he would have a lot more options. We know he's not the typical winger and his crossing isn't great, but I think he's good enough to play where he plays for us, and if he hits form he will be much better again.

I think his main problem is that he's a right-footed winger playing on the left. For some this isn't so much of a problem eg. Ashley Young, but Jonas is more of a 'take it to the byline' type winger. When he gets to the byline his left foot isn't good enough to swing in a decent cross so he just fucks about for ages until we innevitably win a throw in or a corner.

I'd like to see what Jonas could produce on the right wing, with Ben Arfa on the left. Unfortunately this means dropping Routledge who has looked decent so far.

Feel free to correct me, but whenever I've watched him he's looked decent enough on the wing against poor defenders and that's about it. His final delivery is more often than not wasteful and I see no obvious passing ability that would merit him being in the centre of midfield. I can see why people would like him because he does seem to put in a shift but I don't see any particularly outstanding offensive attributes. Make of this what you will but I'd have no problem with Hibbert being against him on Saturday.

This - shame we need other teams' fans to remove the scales from some eyes..nice post.

Feel free to correct me, but whenever I've watched him he's looked decent enough on the wing against poor defenders and that's about it. His final delivery is more often than not wasteful and I see no obvious passing ability that would merit him being in the centre of midfield. I can see why people would like him because he does seem to put in a shift but I don't see any particularly outstanding offensive attributes. Make of this what you will but I'd have no problem with Hibbert being against him on Saturday.

should be a good contest, that! :lol:

should be a good contest, that! :lol:

A titanic tussle of mediocrity.

He's 27 he should of had it perfected by the time he was 22-23.  He's never ever going to improve as he would of done so by now.

:nope:

Guest neesy111

:nope:

Have*