Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Hope he starts to look abroad if the domestic targets aren't working

He's got too now. Obviously the correct thing to do in Jan is play it safe and try for domestic players adapted, but options are running out and we need more quality to see out the season.

Saying that, I think after our last 3 prem games we've got enough on the board and still enough in the tank to stay up now.

Guest icemanblue

Aye, two weeks of the transfer window left and he's given up. :lol:

Just going off his comments.

Has he said 'Fuck it, I'm giving up', like?

Guest MrSundlofer

SWP and Muntari seem like such "I don't actually watch football but they seem class on FM and they show up a lot in the media so they must be decent" suggestions.

Yes it's different to see them on Football Manager and watch live football. But another thing is to understand football. When Habib Beye left us to play for Aston Villa he was a good Premier League player. But look now, he's fourth choice behind Kyle Walker, Luke Young and Carlos Cuéllar at right back.

People must understand the things that's happening outside the football pitch. Sulley Muntari is having a hard period at Inter. He hasn't played very well and wants to leave. If our group of players can welcome him as good as they did with Tioté I think we can enjoy his football again. It's only a loan.

The same with Shaun Wright-Phillips. No one knows what he can produce at Newcastle, in our system. Maybe he's made for it? He hasn't had good seasons lately but with some motivation and good man management... who knows? If he replace Routledge on loan, I would be happy.

Both this players are realistic. We shouldn't judge them on what they are doing right now. There's a reason why they have become available for us - they have not played very well. But with a new fresh start with new players, everything can happen.

Nope but he has gone from "by the end of the week" "one, maybe two signings" to "it's very hard at this time of year, no-one wants to sell..."

and we have missed out on a few players he has talked up already. As the journo said, he didn't say anything about transfers today either which obviously must have been away from the norm otherwise he wouldn't bother to comment.

Maybe it's just 2+2=5 but I am not optimistic we will get anyone now, he has been very vocal (to the point some are complaining about it) but when was the last time he has mentioned anything now? Said he admires Bothroyd I suppose. Definitely a lot quieter.

SWP and Muntari seem like such "I don't actually watch football but they seem class on FM and they show up a lot in the media so they must be decent" suggestions.

Yes it's different to see them on Football Manager and watch live football. But another thing is to understand football. When Habib Beye left us to play for Aston Villa he was a good Premier League player. But look now, he's fourth choice behind Kyle Walker, Luke Young and Carlos Cuéllar at right back.

People must understand the things that's happening outside the football pitch. Sulley Muntari is having a hard period at Inter. He hasn't played very well and wants to leave. If our group of players can welcome him as good as they did with Tioté I think we can enjoy his football again. It's only a loan.

The same with Shaun Wright-Phillips. No one knows that he can produce at Newcastle, in our system. Maybe he's made for it? He hasn't had good seasons lately but with some motivation and good man management... who knows? If he replace Routledge on loan, I would be happy.

Both this players are realistic. We shouldn't judge them on what they are doing right now. There's a reason why they have become available for us - they have not played very well. But with a new fresh start with new players, everything can happen.

Routledge... lightweight, midget, can beat a man, can't cross for shit.

SWP... lightweight, midget, can beat a man, can't cross for shit.

If anything we need to bring in a winger that can pick out Carroll.

Also, Muntari has a track record of shitness. He won't look any better in our side, maybe in a League 1 side.

I'm not even judging it on them now, I'm judging them on their entire careers. When SWP was having his energetic spell at City first time round I thought he was massively overrated. I've watched Muntari have two spells in Italy and never, ever thought he was any good. One half decent season at Pompey is the sole worth of his career.

Simply don't rate either of them and on top of that both would cost big wages.

Nope but he has gone from "by the end of the week" "one, maybe two signings" to "it's very hard at this time of year, no-one wants to sell..."

and we have missed out on a few players he has talked up already. As the journo said, he didn't say anything about transfers today either which obviously must have been away from the norm otherwise he wouldn't bother to comment.

Maybe it's just 2+2=5 but I am not optimistic we will get anyone now, he has been very vocal (to the point some are complaining about it) but when was the last time he has mentioned anything now? Said he admires Bothroyd I suppose. Definitely a lot quieter.

Not really fussed tbh. Yes the squad needs strengthening but there's a danger we'll buy players who are no better than we've got. I'd rather wait until the summer and make a quality signing like HBA.

I would rather we signed one quality forward than one average winger and one average forward.

If Bentley, Larsson, Keane and Bothroyd were the first selection of targets I would leave it there tbh.

I would have definitely taken 3 of them for the right price but if the quality goes down then there is no point.

SWP on loan might no be a bad idea. Pardew (from his targets - Bentley, Larsson, Ziani) wants a right winger and wants to see Barton return to his natural position only quite a lot of the fans are worried about losing Barton's crossing ability and passing ability if he moves back there. A loan for a RW will either decide whether Barton's incredible form is down to his position or that he can continue it in the middle, and at least we haven't bought a pricey RW battling it out with Barton and probably losing to sit on the bench and not be used if it doesn't work.

SWP is good enough to test the theory.

the problem with trying to buy a good striker in jan is way inflated prices which we won't pay and all we can go for is ones like bothroyd whos contracts are running down which means inflated wage demands which we won't pay either.

see bent 18m for example on price of proven goal scorer

don´t mind if we don´t sign anyone in this window....coz we haven´t really been seriously linked with anyone who could improve us that much...only squad players!

might as well wait until the right player is available!

we wont go down this season anyway!

We have 5 forwards....someone has to leave before we bring new in....and the new should be a class forward not someone on the same level as what we got....not thinking of caroll here....someone to partner him maybe...if we play with 2 on top!

If we want to buy someone for the lineup it could be on the RB positions or a forward!

think we are ok for now.....but if we want to step up we need to replace first team players and not buying backups/squad players!