Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

£4-5m would be enough IMO

And 30 k a week. 

I would think that's a 50% pay cut for him. I doubt he'd take that when Villa would prob pay him £50k p/w.

We are bothing chucking figures around here.  But why would Villa wanna pay a wedge of money for Keane when he is over 30 now. Surely Houllier will be buidling for the future?

Who knows tbh.

We should defo go tits out for the lad.  Carroll and Keane would vbe a very dangerous pairing for teams to cope with.  Get him on loan and see what he is like.

Arry quoted today as saying he's only leaving on a permanent deal.

Ahh right, didn't see arrys bit.  Fair enough.  Well if they want daft money for him, good luck.  Not many teams have cash to chuck around.

I'd be inclined to sell the club to him (great fans, stadium etc etc) and then stick a silly offer in for him (say £2.5m/£3m) and let him chuck a hissy fit to come. He's that type of fella.

I'd not pay much more for him cos he's near enough finished.

Not fair on the lad.  Was on fire pre-season too, I now that doesn't prove much though.  He's not been given a chance this season.  He's probably finished at top 4 level, but for teams below that he's a great player and surely has 2 or 3 years left.

And 30 k a week. 

I would think that's a 50% pay cut for him. I doubt he'd take that when Villa would prob pay him £50k p/w.

We are bothing chucking figures around here.  But why would Villa wanna pay a wedge of money for Keane when he is over 30 now. Surely Houllier will be buidling for the future?

Who knows tbh.

If Villa get Keane than we should go for Carew.  Houllier and Carew dislike each other, and Caroll and Carew upfront would be beastly.

Adebayor's been linked with real, man :lol:

he's not realistic, at all.

With keane and the wages, I think we've just got to accept that this new regime doesn't overstretch itself financially so if he signs, he won't be on a crazy wage, and we won't be handcuffing ourselves by signing him. Ashley's not Shepherd who wasn't spending his own money, so was far more risky.

Guest Stephen927

If it was remotely realistic or possible, I'd snap up Adebayor and SWP in an instant.

Anyone who wouldn't take any are talking utter bollocks.

I'm not talking bollocks, it's a different opinion to yours. Neither are realistic and both have suspect attitudes.

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

Far more financial clout than us thanks to their Yank owner and he'll want to back Houllier by signing his top targets in his first window.

Also, Carew is on his way out and will be on a good screw himself.

You're absolutely right though - we're just throwing figures around. I could be miles off.

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

Far more financial clout than us thanks to their Yank owner and he'll want to back Houllier by signing his top targets in his first window.

You're absolutely right though - we're just throwing figures around. I could be miles off.

I thought Randy learner was pulling in the spending a bit as thats why O'Neill walked.

We should defo go tits out for the lad.  Carroll and Keane would vbe a very dangerous pairing for teams to cope with.  Get him on loan and see what he is like.

Ahh right, didn't see arrys bit.  Fair enough.  Well if they want daft money for him, good luck.  Not many teams have cash to chuck around.

I'd be inclined to sell the club to him (great fans, stadium etc etc) and then stick a silly offer in for him (say £2.5m/£3m) and let him chuck a hissy fit to come. He's that type of fella.

Not fair on the lad.  Was on fire pre-season too, I now that doesn't prove much though.  He's not been given a chance this season.  He's probably finished at top 4 level, but for teams below that he's a great player and surely has 2 or 3 years left.

Maybe I am. In fairness, he'd be a good short term signing but if I was M.A I'd be asking whether it's a signing we need to make or whether we could chance a couple of unknowns from abroad for the same money who would increase in value in the long term - Tiote-esque.

If he's confident we'll not go down then why invest in Keane who'll be knocking 32 by the end of next season and won't generate a return.

Playing devils advocate a bit here but just trying to get into the way of thinking of the Owner who, after the initial summer, hasn't bought an established big name player iirc.

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

I thought Randy learner was pulling in the spending a bit as thats why O'Neill walked.

You may be right - I had a feeling it was because his attitude was more along the lines of 'every player has his price' and he wouldn't have rejected a silly bid for Ashley Young which gave O'Neill the hump. Only putting two and two together mind.

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

You may be right - I had a feeling it was because his attitude was more along the lines of 'every player has his price' and he wouldn't have rejected a silly bid for Ashley Young which gave O'Neill the hump. Only putting two and two together mind.

It will be an intersting Jan, i just dont think clubs will spend money.  I think arry may have to loan him out and seek a sale in the summer.

Guest kingdawson

Would Keane really be on £60k a week at spurs? I thought they were tight as f*** with wages (Berbatov was their highest paid at £40k before he left or some bollocks).

Think he's on 50k but i wouldn't be surprised if it was 60k. He's the highest paid player at the club (God knows why).

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

It will be an intersting Jan, i just dont think clubs will spend money.  I think arry may have to loan him out and seek a sale in the summer.

That would be ideal for us, no question. He'd not be short of options if that was the case (Celtic etc) but I think we'd have as good a chance as anyone else in for him.

FWIW I agree about Jan. The same few spending a bit, everyone else on the hunt for bargains.

And 30 k a week. 

Who knows tbh.

That would be ideal for us, no question. He'd not be short of options if that was the case (Celtic etc) but I think we'd have as good a chance as anyone else in for him.

FWIW I agree about Jan. The same few spending a bit, everyone else on the hunt for bargains.

If a loan deal was open in jan for Keane then i think we may beable to match his wages or as close to for the second half of the season but any long term deal he would have to take a cut.

Just speculating here but thats how i would see it.

Maybe I am. In fairness, he'd be a good short term signing but if I was M.A I'd be asking whether it's a signing we need to make or whether we could chance a couple of unknowns from abroad for the same money who would increase in value in the long term - Tiote-esque.

If he's confident we'll not go down then why invest in Keane who'll be knocking 32 by the end of next season and won't generate a return.

Playing devils advocate a bit here but just trying to get into the way of thinking of the Owner who, after the initial summer, hasn't bought an established big name player iirc.

Don't get me wrong, I think your very right to believe it's possible to land a striker from abroad that could be as good as Tiote was.  It's just not always that easy to gamble on the unknown and Keane to me will be far better than Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Xisco and Ranger for the next 2 years easily.  I don't believe we are going down at all, so think he would be a good player to ensure we finish higher and to bring goals if Carroll was to be out for any length of time.  I'm scared of relying on the rest of our strikers for goals else.

If it was remotely realistic or possible, I'd snap up Adebayor and SWP in an instant.

I'm not talking bollocks, it's a different opinion to yours. Neither are realistic and both have suspect attitudes.

that's why I said "if it were at all realistic...".

They're two quality players and quality players are what we need. Sure they won't come here, but if the chance was ever there, we'd be mad to turn it down, at the right price of course.

I think SWP and Keane would be terrible signings, both are clearly on the way down. Would be a similar to when we signed people like Duff, Geremi, Smith, Butt etc. I'd much prefer us to take a gamble on someone from overseas.

Guest Stephen927

that's why I said "if it were at all realistic...".

They're two quality players and quality players are what we need. Sure they won't come here, but if the chance was ever there, we'd be mad to turn it down, at the right price of course.

Half of the success we've had with Hughton has come from great team spirit. Both would come in and be amongst the top earners, there would be plenty of noses put out of joint. SWP is so hit and miss he'd barely be an upgrade over Routledge at this stage, and I'd prefer somebody pacier than Adebayor as we're quite good on the counter.