Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boro  :lol:

As has been said, left when we needed him most and chased the money. Could have been a genuine legend but will be remembered as an idiotic Irish journeyman. Shame.

Yep. Ruined his reputation at the only club who'll give a fuck about him once he hangs up his gloves.

Aye, ruined it so much he got a good reception at Harpers testimonial.

Who gives a fuck if he waited til the end of the window, we would never have bought a keeper anyway given Harper was there.

It's almost as laughable as Bassong getting booed despite coming in for peanuts, doing a goodish job and being sold to a PL team after we went down for £8m.

Getting on the same victim complex the board have anytime anyone leaves and the shady PR stories start slipping our pre/post move.

Nah, just him tbh.

Players move on, that's par for the course, how and when then do it make a difference. He bailed out as soon as he saw the cash. Speaks volumes of him.

This in Spades. No time for him.

The things some players do/say to get moves here then get lauded, then a player such as Given who'd given (heheh) a decade of mainly brilliant performances and seems to be vilified because he left when enough was enough. Crazy.

Why didnt he do what he did on January 1st? Instead of waiting until the last minute and allegedly feign injury to not play?  I think had he stayed until the end of the season we wouldn't have been relegated,  so I'm with middsy here.

The things some players do/say to get moves here then get lauded, then a player such as Given who'd given (heheh) a decade of mainly brilliant performances and seems to be vilified because he left when enough was enough. Crazy.

I think you're being a bit generous to him there. I'd say he left at that time because he had that offer from Man City and he was worried that if he waited till the end of the season, they'd have moved on to target someone else.

A bit selfish, but in his position we'd all have been tempted to do the same.

The club was in chaos. God knows what it was like behind the scenes with some of the idiots we had on the team then. Man City were the 'cool' team on the rise with tons of money. Can't really blame him too much. I don't think the switch in goalkeeper was the reason we went down.

It's just funny seeing all the players that leave us thinking they are going somewhere better.. A lot of them definitely regret making that choice now. I hope Cabaye is paying attention.

What a sad, bitter bunch of Mackems we sound like when we can't appreciate a player's decade-plus mostly outstanding service for obssessing about him losing the will at a club which had just appointed Joe f**king Kinnear.

To see some older posters - who have seen countless crocks of sh*te  and shameless mercenaries take this club for a real ride over the years - destroying Given is particularly sad.

What a sad, bitter bunch of Mackems we sound like when we can't appreciate a player's decade-plus mostly outstanding service for obssessing about him losing the will at a club which had just appointed Joe f**king Kinnear.

To see some older posters - who have seen countless crocks of sh*te  and shameless mercenaries take this club for a real ride over the years - destroying Given is particularly sad.

:clap:

You want players at any club coming that sort of game to get round their contracts ?Ask yourself why he dididn't put in a transfer request earlier ?

Yet many see it as ok, just another indicator of the game going down the shitter.

You want players at any club coming that sort of game to get round their contracts ?Ask yourself why he dididn't put in a transfer request earlier ?

Yet many see it as ok, just another indicator of the game going down the shitter.

:biggerclap:

Did I say I saw it as ok? No. I said I was willing to acknowledge first the service he gave us.

I didn't think it was ok for Shearer to blatantly look after No 1 - no matter the consequences for the club -  at several key times either, but I'd never begin to write off what he did for us as a player because of it.

I understand why he didn't. The timing for that move was now or never. But still.. because it was him and who he was and what then happened I was super disappointed. No time for him at all.

In terms of good players for us - I have Given as one of the most disliked. Might be the only one. I try not to get too attached to footballers but he was arguably captain of the ship - and he jumped board. Nowt wrong with that as it wasn't his fault. But seemed very wrong.

The club was an absolute shambles during the the relegation season from top to bottom. I really can't come up with an idea of why he'd have wanted to stay, even those credited with the turnaround (Barton, Raylor & Nolan etc) weren't model pro's during that time. The club was absolutely rotten.

I guess I'm included with you singling out ~"older posters". You'll find elsewhere in the thread how highly I rated him as a keeper and that the season he left I had him as the player of the season (the premier leagues, not just the clubs) until his departure. that doesn't mean I should see the manner of his departure as anything less than deceitful and snide. as such I wouldn't wish any injury but will have a wry smile on my face should his career tank...................which it appears to.

Was consistently outstanding at this club and considering the amount of shite all through his spell here, was amazed he stood for it for so long. Feel he left more for the medals but deserved a pay-off for the kind of money he got when he joined City.

People talk about loyalty and use players like Giggs and Neville as examples - how loyal do you think they'd have been with Man Utd constantly changing managers, dropping down the league then appointing someone like Souness? Then, despite nearing your peak as a goalkeeper, you club going even further and appointing someone like Joe Kinnear? Finest goalkeeper we've had bar none in my lifetime. Hope he has a great spell at Boro and plays on for a few years yet.

Guest reefatoon

Was consistently outstanding at this club and considering the amount of s**** all through his spell here, was amazed he stood for it for so long. Feel he left more for the medals but deserved a pay-off for the kind of money he got when he joined City.

People talk about loyalty and use players like Giggs and Neville as examples - how loyal do you think they'd have been with Man Utd constantly changing managers, dropping down the league then appointing someone like Souness? Then, despite nearing your peak as a goalkeeper, you club going even further and appointing someone like Joe Kinnear? Finest goalkeeper we've had bar none in my lifetime. Hope he has a great spell at Boro and plays on for a few years yet.

It's more the fact he left in January (left a sinking ship) that annoyed the most of us.  All he had to do was wait until the summer and I think other clubs would have been in for him too, where he would have went on to be a lot more successful than has turned out.  Most fans would not have begrudged him the move in the summer, it was the fact of him legging it in Jan.

Opening a massive can of whoop ass worms here, but for those saying he left at a crap time, should have stayed, would have made the difference between staying up and relegation...was it any worse to Keegan leaving? Those same criteria could all apply to him yet it's accepted he was in the right.

Guest reefatoon

Opening a massive can of whoop ass worms here, but for those saying he left at a crap time, should have stayed, would have made the difference between staying up and relegation...was it any worse to Keegan leaving? Those same criteria could all apply to him yet it's accepted he was in the right.

Can't remember us being in the shit just before Keegan left.