Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remember  as a 14 year old boy opening  the back page of the daily mirror  and seeing him standing there in an orange city keeper  jersey and I remember  Welling up trying  not to cry.... end of the day given is a typical donegal man, they're obsessed  with  money.... he would  of signed for Sutton  United  if they offered him enough

:lol: Jesus. Is that a typical Donegalian trait?

I have no issue with him leaving when he did anymore. Did at the time but I don't blame a single player leaving this shitshow anytime until Ashley's gone.

Especially  where he is from lad (lifford) they keep the same  clothes for years man just so they don't have to spend money

:lol: harsh: their hearts are like their mountains.

He didn't command his area, him being rather short didn't help. Instead he chose (wisely) to stay on the line as he was a great shot-stopper.

Best keeper we've had during my 20+ years as a NUFC fan. No question. I liked Shaka, Srnicek was inconsistent. Krul was great but stagnated.

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair Shay was like what Shearer was to us up front, only in goal. He saved us many a time and was easily worth 10 + points a season on his own.

To be fair Shay was like what Shearer was to us up front, only in goal. He saved us many a time and was easily worth 10 + points a season on his own.

Correct!

His save from Phillips at their place when we were 1-0 up was magnificent!

Remember  as a 14 year old boy opening  the back page of the daily mirror  and seeing him standing there in an orange city keeper  jersey and I remember  Welling up trying  not to cry.... end of the day given is a typical donegal man, they're obsessed  with  money.... he would  of signed for Sutton  United  if they offered him enough

I have no issue with him leaving when he did anymore. Did at the time but I don't blame a single player leaving this shitshow anytime until Ashley's gone.

Especially  where he is from lad (lifford) they keep the same  clothes for years man just so they don't have to spend money

That's a canny exaggeration. Maybe older generation (70+) who were extremely poor, but i'd hardly call it a Donegal trait.

On a side note, he's in Letterkenny, Donegal for book signing this weekend. May wander along

Well if that's indicative of being from Donegal I better discover my roots and return to the motherland.

He was the third most influential member of that squad, behind Shearer and Speed, who were gods in my eyes.

This is why it hurts so much that he left because at the time, we felt betrayed. Of course, in time it's become clear that he was shafted by Ashley and co.

I'll remember him fondly but I wish he had stayed and become an even bigger legend for us.

That 5-1 loss to Liverpool he was absolutely brilliant, could easily have let in 20 goals that day if it wasnt for him.

All I remember was that after that game he was in a huff and wanted out. Don't recall a whisper about contract stuff. Seems weird to come out with that now.

That 5-1 loss to Liverpool he was absolutely brilliant, could easily have let in 20 goals that day if it wasnt for him.

All I remember was that after that game he was in a huff and wanted out. Don't recall a whisper about contract stuff. Seems weird to come out with that now.

Just released a new book.

That's a canny exaggeration. Maybe older generation (70+) who were extremely poor, but i'd hardly call it a Donegal trait.

On a side note, he's in Letterkenny, Donegal for book signing this weekend. May wander along

Well I work  in the oneills sport store just outside donegal .... and the donegal supporters never buy the full price gear ! Always buying the old stuff in clearance  from about 5 years ago....

Saying that would love to meet shay ... where and when is he heading to letterkenny  ?

Didn't get his £600K loyalty bonus, boo hoo.

If he'd stayed until the end of the season he'd be a legend in my eyes, but as he didn't he'll always be a rat who deserted the sinking ship in my eyes.

What do you call fans that were hoping we'd lose games under Pardew? Or for that matter fans that would prefer us to fail so long as it got us rid of Ashley?

Didn't get his £600K loyalty bonus, boo hoo.

If he'd stayed until the end of the season he'd be a legend in my eyes, but as he didn't he'll always be a rat who deserted the sinking ship in my eyes.

What do you call fans that were hoping we'd lose games under Pardew? Or for that matter fans that would prefer us to fail so long as it got us rid of Ashley?

Bizarre. Never ever want us to lose.