Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This should serve as a reminder to a lot of players when clubs like City and Chelsea are interested.

You end up at Villa and get £5 million in fuck off early money.

Scott Sinclair is currently hoping for this.

:lol: Struggling to see the lesson.

Cowardly, Sinking ship deserting rat.

Colo tried to do exactly the same with far more responsibilities. He's still here only because nobody was prepared to offer any money for him.

Shay's a top bloke.

If it's gonna cost that much to get rid of him, why not just keep him?

Aye...or loan him out. If its about wages, surely if he wants to play so badly, he'd take a cut for game time?

They need a 2nd choice keeper and it's gonna cost them £5m to get rid of Shay plus whatever it takes in wages and transfer to get another guy in.

Even if they have a reserve team player waiting it'll still cost them £5m to promote him to number two. I'd just heep Shay, give him a job on reception or something.

They need a 2nd choice keeper and it's gonna cost them £5m to get rid of Shay plus whatever it takes in wages and transfer to get another guy in.

Even if they have a reserve team player waiting it'll still cost them £5m to promote him to number two. I'd just heep Shay, give him a job on reception or something.

It is obviously going to cost more to keep him.

If he's on 60k a week and has three years left (thanks, McFuck, you fucking fuck) then that's pretty straightforward maths.

Still a club legend imo. I can't really blame him for leaving, no matter how pissed off I was at the time. The club was on an obvious decline and had Joe fucking Kinnear as manager. Given was at a stage in his career when he had just about one last chance to achieve something and he took the gamble, to a club that was clearly on the road to winning silverware too. I find it ridiculous how so many hold Given's departure against him yet have a lot of time for other players who left us, all of which didn't give a fraction of what Given gave to this club. I definitely wouldn't take him back, not unless we were stuck and he was on about 10k a week. But to hate the guy after everything he gave to us is very harsh imo.

Guest Nixon

Hindsights a cruel one. He probably wishes he stayed but he made a career decision to go. Sign of the times that this season only Hull City offered him a route out of Villa.

Hindsights a cruel one. He probably wishes he stayed but he made a career decision to go. Now he's being forced to decide if he wants to join Hull City on loan in the Championship.

That'd be a neat trick, dude.

It is obviously going to cost more to keep him.

If he's on 60k a week and has three years left (thanks, McFuck, you fucking fuck) then that's pretty straightforward maths.

To be fair i was drinking staropramen last night.

Still a club legend imo. I can't really blame him for leaving, no matter how pissed off I was at the time. The club was on an obvious decline and had Joe fucking Kinnear as manager. Given was at a stage in his career when he had just about one last chance to achieve something and he took the gamble, to a club that was clearly on the road to winning silverware too. I find it ridiculous how so many hold Given's departure against him yet have a lot of time for other players who left us, all of which didn't give a fraction of what Given gave to this club. I definitely wouldn't take him back, not unless we were stuck and he was on about 10k a week. But to hate the guy after everything he gave to us is very harsh imo.

Generally my opinion of it, too. The way he manufactured his move was a touch insensitive but I don't resent him for leaving. He could have gone at any point in his 9 (?) years here.

I can't dislike him, especially after Speed's death and his tears. Was awful to watch

He only had to do another 3 months to make sure we were safe or leave then safe in the knowledge he had at least tried to keep us up.

Sorry, but i can't forgive him.

I can't dislike him, especially after Speed's death and his tears. Was awful to watch

He only had to do another 3 months to make sure we were safe or leave then safe in the knowledge he had at least tried to keep us up.

Sorry, but i can't forgive him.

Tend to agree. I know footballers don't have any loyalty, but then how can they be praised or called legends?