Ben Tozer

Skeletor

• 8 months later...
Guest VegasToon

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7000958,00.html

Skysports.com understands Newcastle defender Ben Tozer has agreed a deal to quit St James' Park.

The Magpies beat a host of clubs to land Tozer from Swindon in January 2008 with the central defender regarded as one of the best youngsters in the country.

But the 21-year-old has struggled to establish himself in the first-team, making just two first-team appearances.

Tozer is now ready to move on in search of regular first-team football and he has agreed to cancel his contract by mutal consent to allow him to leave on a free transfer.

Tozer spent the majority of last season on loan at Northampton and the Cobblers are thought to be leading the chase to snap up the defender on a free transfer.

Spear, Ranger and now Tozer.  Not a great result for youth development.

For every Andy Carroll and Charles N'Zogbia you're going to have 10 fails, speculate to accumulate.

Spear, Ranger and now Tozer.  Not a great result for youth development.

For every Andy Carroll and Charles N'Zogbia you're going to have 10 fails, speculate to accumulate.

:thup: Just because we're putting more effort into it and the signings are more well-documented, doesn't mean there's any more chance of them making it.

Guest BooBoo

Had high hopes for this lad but from folk I spoke to who watched the reserves, he was apparently very ordinary.

Guest Howaythetoon

The gap between grassroots/lower league and Premier League is huge and the sad thing is the gap isn't always about football but physicality, mentality etc.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What have we got against this guy?

Nothing. He was promising, but suffered a serious injury and never really got back into his stride. Seemed to suffer a huge confidence issue, which I hope he recovers from and gets his career back on track.

Spear, Ranger and now Tozer.  Not a great result for youth development.

Sure Man U pulled a generation of players out at the same time from their academy, but its not as if they managed to do that every season. Every club pretty much operates the same way, you develop and hope that 1 from the crop will be good enough. Can't imagine anyone seriously believes it'll happen every season.

But for what its worth the Toon aren't THAT terrible.

Shola Ameobi

Steven Taylor

Andy Carroll

Fraser Forster

David Edgar

Peter Ramage

Stephen/Gary Caldwell

Michael Chopra

Just a few names off the top of my head that have came through in the last 10 years or so from the Academy. Not world beaters, but a decent standard.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think, although we haven't produced a great deal of top talent since its (the academy) inception, we've produced enough players to move on for a profit if you like to more than help pay for the academy. That said the academy should be all about producing players for NUFC not the football pyramid if you like. Sadly, I think the mackems have more Geordie talent in their setup than we do... we have a long way to go regarding the academy.

The youth that we've apparently scouted and brought in under a fanfare has generally been a right load of old shite, either that or ignored and underused.

Spear, Zamblera, Tozer, I suspect Kadar will be on his bike very soon (although that's not really his fault, the lad's made of glass), we can only hope Vuckic doesn't go the same way although he will if he doesn't get some first team football under his belt soon. No idea what's going on with the likes of Adjei. It's saying something that Ranger's probably been the pick of the bunch.