Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Absolutely we have to go for it. We can beat any of the teams left in it on our day, espescially given Arsenal and Man Utd tend to play a younger team. Draw them at home and who knows?

Last year I thought this was a big distraction because we had a 46 game season - 8 more than Prem clubs. But the Carling Cup is not a long competition - the route to the final is quite short.

Next round is w/c 25th October BTW.

Just before the Mackem game

Yup...does that change anything for anyone?

I guess we will have to wait closer to the time - if we put some distance between us and 18th spot then maybe we should go for it - though it will depend on what team we get

i think when you win at chelsea away you have to start taking it seriusly otherwise it seems a huge waste of that result. that said i think last nights team when playing to there full as they did are capable of beating most the teams left in the cup other than Arsenal, Man utd and a in form Villa

I looked at the teams left, and it's only Man U or Arsenal that fill me with any doubt. We've got what it takes to beat any of the others (whether we do is another matter). We need to go for this, how often are there only 2 of the big teams left in the last 16!? If any team's going to pull off a shock cup win anytime soon, it looks like this is one of the best chances in a while.

An amalagamation of the options, imo. Yes - stick our fringe/reserve players out and go for it. It'd be an insult to the likes of Ferguson and Shola to chuck em out the team in the next round.

I can feel a bit of fire in me belly though. A trip to Wembley would be sensational.

We're due a decent draw TBH, always seem to get shafted by the ball bag.

Yeah, usually by that draw we've just fought our way through! Just to have won would be immensely satisfying, but that victory has put a tiny bugbear of our recent history to bed. We've been fucked over by Chelsea in the cup loads of times in the last few years. SWP's dive at Stamford Bridge... Drogba moving the ball for a free-kick at SJP... just off the top of my head. It was the same again with Alex's tumble last night.

Man. What a FUCKING win.

Guest Stephen927

We'll hopefully use a mixture of youth and senior players. The league is our bread and butter, the cups are a welcome distraction.

Few good teams have gone out so it's a good chance to push on, only time will tell if it's to the detriment of our league form if we use our best 11 each round (assuming we progress further).

The nearer we get to the final the more seriously we should take this competition ; in addition, our progress in the PL is a major factor because we do NOT want injuries to key players which may result in a struggle.

IF we are mid-table by the time the SFs come around and still in the LC, then yes, go for it - otherwise, NO.

Hopefully we get a seemingly easier tie next round and the reserve lads can have another go at making their names....they did OK last night after all.