Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

I'm pretty sure that his poor form at the end of last season was due to the ankle injury against Bayern. His poor form at the start of this season is surely because of the fact that he wanted to go but wasn't let go.

The Man Utd team currently needs some investment but let's remember that before Rooney got injured, they had a lead over Chelsea with something like 5 games to go. If Rooney doesn't get injured against Bayern, they don't lose to Chelsea at home and I think they walk to the title. If he doesn't get injured, I also think they win the second leg and progress, which would have meant a 3rd consecutive appearance in the semis of the CL for them, and it would have been against a beatable team like Bayern. Honestly, they were an unlucky injury away from winning a league and European double. He was such a massive player for them that if he changes his mind and decides to stay then they'll be right up there challenging for everything again.

They got 13 points out of 15 in the last 5 games ;-) In fact they only game they lost in the previous 12 was to Chelsea! Hardly missed him!

Thinking about it, the game they lost before that run, Rooney played.

Sat. 3  FT  Manchester United 1 - 2 Chelsea

Sun. 11  FT  Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Manchester United

Sat. 17  FT  Manchester City 0 - 1 Manchester United

Sat. 24  FT  Manchester United 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur 

Sun. 2  FT  Sunderland 0 - 1 Manchester United

Sun. 9  FT  Manchester United 4 - 0 Stoke City

That's where they lost the title, no? Both matches which Rooney missed.

Point is: He's a massive player for them when he's on form, and when he's on form, they're still one of the best teams in the world and missing one, maybe two, players from being the dominant side that they were when Ronaldo and Tevez were there. Obviously the fact that they depended so heavily on Rooney for their success backfired, but it also shows that if he changed his mind, stayed, then they signed a player like Kaka or Ozil, then they're a match for most teams in the world, Chelsea included.

I agree with Gash that Man Utd's best bet is a swap for Benzema plus someone like Ozil. I think Real would be interested, and I think both of the players would flourish under Ferguson. I'm not sure Ozil would appreciate another move right away but Man Utd are pretty much on a par with Real.

If Rooney goes and isn't replaced by someone like Benzema or Aguero then Man Utd will seriously lack the necessary firepower. I think if he leaves in Jan and isn't replaced immediately, they'll be fighting it out with Spurs for fourth place.

Fergie made a comment about he was interested in a player in the summer but he didn't want to come to England, that's what made me discount Ozil. I think they need a decent midfielder, they have Scholes who is old, Carrick shite. Gibson shite. Fletcher is their only reliable midfielder.

If any money is part of the deal Everton and the Glazers will have their share not leaving Fergie much, he needs just get players.

Why would Real get into a player-swap deal when they can just pay a cut-rate price and keep their players while adding another?

Obviously you can't take what managers say as gospel, but didn't Mourinho say he didn't want Rooney right now because he's already got striking options? Maybe he wants to ship one out before bringing him in.

I agree with Gash that Man Utd's best bet is a swap for Benzema plus someone like Ozil. I think Real would be interested, and I think both of the players would flourish under Ferguson. I'm not sure Ozil would appreciate another move right away but Man Utd are pretty much on a par with Real.

If Rooney goes and isn't replaced by someone like Benzema or Aguero then Man Utd will seriously lack the necessary firepower. I think if he leaves in Jan and isn't replaced immediately, they'll be fighting it out with Spurs for fourth place.

Fergie made a comment about he was interested in a player in the summer but he didn't want to come to England, that's what made me discount Ozil. I think they need a decent midfielder, they have Scholes who is old, Carrick shite. Gibson shite. Fletcher is their only reliable midfielder.

If any money is part of the deal Everton and the Glazers will have their share not leaving Fergie much, he needs just get players.

The player that Fergie was talking about was David Villa.

Holloway is absolutely spot on tbf.

What?  :lol: How is a rant about the bosman ruling spot on in this case?

Apart from that he's just another one licking Ferguson's arse, never mind the players he's messed about over the years. It's hard to take managers criticising players seriously when they think they can treat them like a house and decide when and who they are sold to and  the player should have no say in their future.

Holloway is absolutely spot on tbf.

What?  :lol: How is a rant about the bosman ruling spot on in this case?

Apart from that he's just another one licking Ferguson's arse, never mind the players he's messed about over the years. It's hard to take managers criticising players seriously when they think they can treat them like a house and decide when and who they are sold to and  the player should have no say in their future.

Can't argue there. This is a two way thing. The only reason this is getting a million and one managers to speak about it is that it's Ferguson and Man U. It's no different to any other player deciding they're not happy at their club, except finally someone has got Fergie by the balls. Because for the first time ever, it's not him deciding that player needs to be shipped out. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

I do believe players should be allowed a say in their career also, manager's aren't hung out to dry when they decide they want out of their contract to move to a better club. But they expect their players to be loyal? Get fucked.

If it's about money, then yes Rooney's a selfish, money-grabbing cunt but it's still his prerogative, but I do believe him when he says it's about more than that. Manchester United aren't the force they were and he sees that, he wants out, and I don't blame him. If Ferguson suddenly woke up tomorrow and decided he's not getting the support he deserves and quit, and moved to a cushy job with a massive salary in the far east or something (obviously would never happen of course) he'd be praised, he'd be hailed as a man that saw sense, bla bla bla. What would the difference be?

I'm not sure Ozil would appreciate another move right away but Man Utd are pretty much on a par with Real.

They really aren't.

Actually agree. It's probably easier to argue that they're better than Real.

Evra and possibly Vidic are the only ones that would get in Reals team and they don't have a star, Real have two or three.

Fergie made a comment about he was interested in a player in the summer but he didn't want to come to England, that's what made me discount Ozil. I think they need a decent midfielder, they have Scholes who is old, Carrick s****. Gibson s****. Fletcher is their only reliable midfielder.

The player that Fergie was talking about was David Villa.

Agreed. Given that he said the player didn't want to change country, it couldn't have been Ozil, who moved from Germany to Spain.

So Rooney decides that he doesn't want to sign a new contract with Man U.  See out the contract, and then move on. Man Utd got what they paid for - i.e. Rooney for 5 years or whatever.

Other than the drama of it all, and that fact that it's happening with a current Man Utd player, rather than a "soon to be" Man Utd player, I don't see how this is any different to some League 2 striker telling his club that he won't sign a new contract.

Holloway doesn't want free transfers? What's the point of a contract if at the end of it, you still own the player? Load of bollocks.

Can't believe people are making out his rant is some fantastic speech. I loved it for it's hilarity. As an actual argument it's incoherent, nonsensical drivel.