Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

Rooney could quite easily have made this story disappear with a short statement today.

No denial by now means it's blatantly true.

Canny article by Matt Lawton in the Mail, some good points raised by Weg

Wenger, who warned Rooney’s options were limited because only ‘three or four clubs’ could afford to buy the striker, said: ‘I don’t know why (it has happened). When you sign a player for four years, for example, you have to extend the contract after two years.

'You have to negotiate after the first year. We have people who only negotiate contracts at our club and I come in when it is needed. When you have a professional squad, first-team squad plus players after 16, you have to renegotiate.

'You are always in renegotiations. If you want to keep a player, to protect the value of a player, you have to extend the contract.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321659/Wayne-Rooney-wants-leave-Manchester-United-clubs-lack-ambition.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz12kU0pnBw

If im not mistaken Rooney could invoke the Webster ruling and buy the remainder of his contract out which would be less than 5 million should he go in the summer?

Looks like that may be the case:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/5million-will-trigger-wayne-rooneyrsquos-release-from-manchester-united-14980288.html

£5million will trigger Wayne Rooney’s release from Manchester United

Wayne Rooney can terminate his Manchester United contract next summer under Fifa transfer regulations that would see the club receive only £5m in return.

Under the Webster ruling — named after the former Hearts player Andy Webster who set the precedent — Rooney can buy out the final year of his contract for his current annual salary of £5m plus a relatively small compensation figure.

As dictated by Article 17 of Fifa's transfer rules, it would dramatically reduce his current market value which is closer to £45m.

Rooney's qualification for a Webster ruling transfer has been checked by the Spain-based law firm Ruiz Huerta y Crespo, who have been involved in every major Article 17 case to date. They have confirmed that Rooney could leave United under the rules.

Rooney last entered into a new United contract in November 2006, when he agreed an extension to his existing deal to keep him at the club until the summer of 2012.

Under the ruling a player can walk away from his contract after what Fifa describes in its rules as the “protected period” of that deal has expired. The protected period varies according to a player's age.

If a player is under the age of 28 when signing the deal in question — as Rooney was — the protected period is three years of the contract.

Rooney was 21 in November 2006 when he signed his latest deal meaning that the protected period on his contract ran out in November 2009.

In the summer of this year he had the option to walk away in exchange for two year's salary. He could do the same next summer for one year's salary. The Webster ruling can only be activated in the summer and only after the provision of 15 days' notice in writing.

Well no wonder he doesn't want to sign another contract. He could demand his own price in a few months' time.

Of course he might still consider Man U his best option, should he and Fergie patch up their differences. However, I don't know if Man U would want to blow a hole in their wage structure to keep one player.

Certainly if I were managing another club, I wouldn't want to pay a massive fee for him at this point. He's facing a crisis, but is in complete denial. Moving away from the environment where he feels at home could make things worse.

Would anyone even want him here? Honestly wouldn't be over excited if we got him on some miracle transfer, couldn't see him being anything else than Owen mk II.  So are the likes of Real Madrid really going to pull out all the stops and give him the contract and position he wants?  And would leaving the country get him away from his personal problems and media circus anyway?  I'm sure some of those Spanish hookers are canny fit.

If he goes to Man City i'll fucking vomit. Hope he goes abroad and sorts himself out; brilliant player - would be interesting to see how he did in La Liga. Big name English players have gone over there sporadically but none of them have hit the big-time yet, it'd be a nice change.

Would anyone even want him here? Honestly wouldn't be over excited if we got him on some miracle transfer, couldn't see him being anything else than Owen mk II.  So are the likes of Real Madrid really going to pull out all the stops and give him the contract and position he wants?  And would leaving the country get him away from his personal problems and media circus anyway?  I'm sure some of those Spanish hookers are canny fit.

:kasper:

I cannot believe you have just said you would have Rooney at Newcastle. Genuinely blown away. 

Guest Haris Vuckic

If he goes to Man City i'll f***ing vomit. Hope he goes abroad and sorts himself out; brilliant player - would be interesting to see how he did in La Liga. Big name English players have gone over there sporadically but none of them have hit the big-time yet, it'd be a nice change.

Mcmanaman didn't give it too bad a shot like.

Real Madrid

La Liga: 2000–01, 2002–03

Supercopa de Espana: 2001, 2003

UEFA Champions League: 2000, 2002

UEFA Super Cup: 2002

UEFA Super Cup Runners Up: 2000

I cannot believe you have just said you would have Rooney at Newcastle. Genuinely blown away. 

Could you honestly see it ending in anything but disappointment and disaster?  I just can't imagine him banging in the goals and being a success, he's doing fuck all but skulk around the pitch snarling for Man U and England, what exactly would his motivation levels be playing for us?

Would anyone even want him here? Honestly wouldn't be over excited if we got him on some miracle transfer, couldn't see him being anything else than Owen mk II. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Prima facie that's fucking funny. I can see your reasoning though - might think that deciding to come here would show something really was wrong with his head. That said, I don't agree - think he had more balls as a toddler than Owen ever has and wouldn't just do what he did, so I'd be happy to have him here as unlikely as that is. Reckon if we have anything going for us at all (admittedly in doubt...), he'd come good - or good enough for us at least.

Could you honestly see it ending in anything but disappointment and disaster?  I just can't imagine him banging in the goals and being a success, he's doing f*** all but skulk around the pitch snarling for Man U and England, what exactly would his motivation levels be playing for us?

Firstly talking about him coming here is crazy anyways. However, if it some different reality he did, any reason for not banging in the goals would be due to the team around him.

Last season Rooney was one of the best players on the planet. He hasnt all of a sudden lost all his talent. He is clearly going through a bad patch personally and cant sort his head out. Once he gets going again he will be back to his best. Nothing like Owen at all who had suffered with massive injuries.

Could you honestly see it ending in anything but disappointment and disaster?  I just can't imagine him banging in the goals and being a success, he's doing fuck all but skulk around the pitch snarling for Man U and England, what exactly would his motivation levels be playing for us?

Again, I see your point but snarling's a lot better a sign than hiding and excusing.

If he goes to Man City i'll f***ing vomit. Hope he goes abroad and sorts himself out; brilliant player - would be interesting to see how he did in La Liga. Big name English players have gone over there sporadically but none of them have hit the big-time yet, it'd be a nice change.

Mcmanaman didn't give it too bad a shot like.

Real Madrid

La Liga: 2000–01, 2002–03

Supercopa de Espana: 2001, 2003

UEFA Champions League: 2000, 2002

UEFA Super Cup: 2002

UEFA Super Cup Runners Up: 2000

Only was a key contributor in his first season there, though. Galáctico policy put him on the bench when Pérez arrived.

Gary Lineker was my first footballing idol and won some stuff with us (was la liga's top goalscorer once too), was ultimately sold by Cruyff after he couldn't adapt to his playing style. Steve Archibald was also very popular until he was sold due to tightening of restrictions on foreign players.

Laurie Cunningham was (I think) Real Madrid's first black player and had a pretty good stint until he pulled a Marcelino on them. He played for a couple more Spanish clubs until his death.

Michael Robinson played for Osasuna, and has been a popular pundit for years in Spain.

That's the ones I can think of that had good/decent stints down here.