This season's SJP atmosphere

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As a kid the first time I went to SJP it was that electric atmosphere the noise that grabbed me, win lose or draw it was immense complete and utter support no matter what.

I remember getting slaughtered off West Ham one pissing down Wednesday night, Pedro ending up in goal it was horrific yet our nose did not dip everyone stayed.

That kind of thing happened now most would fk off the rest would stay to boo.

Was there that night at West Ham. The atmosphere in the away end still makes me feel proud today. Remember Hammers fans in the stand to the left of the away end applauding us as they left.

Bad craic when even Kane is thinking of moving. :undecided:

Pedantic post Dave, but why do you spell "crack" "craic" ?

Crack has been a Geordie expression for as long as anyone knows and long,long before the Irish hijacked it and it became trendy to spell it "craic".

Trendy? I'm pretty sure its spelt craic because that is how you spell crack in Gaeilge :lol:

;D Good answer Decky.

Around here "it's good crack" and "what's the crack ?" have always been common expressions, but recently, when written, a lot of people use "craic"

In reply to your later "English stole our land" remark - we wouldn't have to nowadays - we'd just buy it at a very knock down price  :iamatwat:

Hope the Germans don't impose too many of their words on the Irish after they bail out the economy later this week. ;)

Crack has been a Geordie expression for as long as anyone knows and long,long before the Irish hijacked it and it became trendy to spell it "craic".

Trendy? I'm pretty sure its spelt craic because that is how you spell crack in Gaeilge :lol:

;D Good answer Decky.

Around here "it's good crack" and "what's the crack ?" have always been common expressions, but recently, when written, a lot of people use "craic"

In reply to your later "English stole our land" remark - we wouldn't have to nowadays - we'd just buy it at a very knock down price :iamatwat:

Hope the Germans don't impose too many of their words on the Irish after they bail out the economy later this week. ;)

Hopefully they will impose their beer over here :D

;D Good answer Decky.

In reply to your later "English stole our land" remark - we wouldn't have to nowadays - we'd just buy it at a very knock down price  :iamatwat:

Hopefully they will impose their beer over here :D

Prost ! ......or should we say Slainte ? :drink:

I dont know if it was just me or did they play a slowed down version of local hero? It sounds crap and does nowt to help build an atmosphere.

Regarding the last two home games, the pitiful away supports have not helped like.

The away support in the game before those two was the worst we'll see all season - but that didn't stop us partying through the game  :celb:

in my experience- as the stadium went to all seater- and got bigger the atmosphere became less intense- kind of obvious when you think about it. im not sure how you would go about regaining it in our stadium.

Never really understood the mentality of constantly berating the other fans, unless it's the mackems of course. That "your support is fucking shit" hoo har is toe curling.

Never really understood the mentality of constantly berating the other fans, unless it's the mackems of course. That "your support is fucking shit" hoo har is toe curling.

it is a bit- but i thought it came about as a response to us getting-' where were you when you were shit' shouted at us- incidently has any club ever had higher crowds for a relegation than we had last time?

Probably not, certainly not in the PL era. Leeds proably averaged about 38000 when they went down. Mackems probably average above 30000 too during their numerous relegations.

Probably not, certainly not in the PL era. Leeds proably averaged about 38000 when they went down. Mackems probably average above 30000 too during their numerous relegations.

i think only man u in the 70s would be close- but still dont think they would been higher than us.

so anyways thats where we were when we were shit- at the matches.

I thought Marseille's atmosphere when we played them in 2004 was pretty much spot on. Lots of whilsting/howling any time we got the ball and a massive roar whenever they got the ball. Pretty sure the atmosphere intimidated a few of our players that day.

I was at Marseilles and noticed the vast majority of the home crowd were probably under 30. Huge gangs of teenagers who never stopped singing.

I wonder if there's anyone left that would oppose a return to having at least one standing area in British football grounds. It works perfectly well in other countries like Germany doesn't it?

I for one certainly believe that sitting down isn't condusive to a good atmosphere. It just doesn't feel the same.

Imagine how awesome that would be man. If they made the Gallowgate safe standing and made sure they could only sell a certain number of tickets so it couldn't cram up and shit. Would be so cool man, and most likely improve the living fudge outta the shitmosphere.

I thought Marseille's atmosphere when we played them in 2004 was pretty much spot on. Lots of whilsting/howling any time we got the ball and a massive roar whenever they got the ball. Pretty sure the atmosphere intimidated a few of our players that day.

That was what Stoke were like when we played them in the relegation season. No idea what they're like week in and week out and they'll probably be silent as mice when they're an established Premier League team for ten years but I know our players were absolutely shitting themselves in the first half from the hostility whenever we had the ball.

Imagine how awesome that would be man. If they made the Gallowgate safe standing and made sure they could only sell a certain number of tickets so it couldn't cram up and shit. Would be so cool man, and most likely improve the living fudge outta the shitmosphere.

Added a poll for the laugh. Personally think it would be fantastic, but the logistics of implementing it would be a major issue (aside from the obvious).

Be interested in hearing from our Germany-based posters on how it works over there.

I can remember when the Rangers fans took the whole of Gallowgate up in the NewcastleGateshead cup . All of them standing and probably the loudest i've heard gallowgate which i'm pretty embarrassed about.

Why are you embarrassed? It was a massive away support on one of their big trips to England (which they get so worked up about). The Gallowgate that day was probably louder than Ibrox is most weekends.

I for one would love the Gallowgate to be all standing, the atmosphere would be phenomenal. Imagine the Sunderland match atmosphere this year had the Gallowgate been all standing!?! Would have been unbelievable.

I have always thought that the east stand would be the perfect place for safe standing; it would be a great atmosphere booming out straight onto the pitch and in the faces of the corporates in the Milburn!  :lol:

I can remember when the Rangers fans took the whole of Gallowgate up in the NewcastleGateshead cup . All of them standing and probably the loudest i've heard gallowgate which i'm pretty embarrassed about.

Why are you embarrassed? It was a massive away support on one of their big trips to England (which they get so worked up about). The Gallowgate that day was probably louder than Ibrox is most weekends.

I for one would love the Gallowgate to be all standing, the atmosphere would be phenomenal. Imagine the Sunderland match atmosphere this year had the Gallowgate been all standing!?! Would have been unbelievable.

I have always thought that the east stand would be the perfect place for safe standing; it would be a great atmosphere booming out straight onto the pitch and in the faces of the corporates in the Milburn!  :lol:

A good percentage of the Gallowgate were standing  :snod:

Completely agree with the idea of German-like standing areas. One of those things that gets talked about quite regularly but will never happen. Unfortunately the game is still stained thanks to our Liverpudlian friends.

I've been thinking about this recently as well and I completely agree with Wullie. I've only had a season ticket for the last 2 seasons but the difference in atmosphere between some of the matches has been huge. I understand that anytime we play Sunderland will be huge and the atmosphere will match the occasion but I would love if the we as fans could up our game a bit. I sit in the Milburn stand and it is absolute rubbish! I don't really start chants as I'm a bit shy unless I'm well pissed but every time a chant is started in the singing section I join in. More often than not though I'm completely alone which after the first half or so I just give up.

The idea for the singing section was inspired by the club, you only needed to be at the Arsenal cup match to realise how hard it is to start an atmosphere when fans who want to sing are split up. That game was the worst match I'd ever been to atmosphere wise, I don't mind losing to Arsenal 4-0 if we at least sing a bit and encourage the lads but there was zero atmosphere which was even worse as I was sitting next to the away fans with their "Where's your famous atmosphere song". It was my lasses first game and she asked me if the home crowed were always that quiet!

I don't think this problem is specific to Newcastle though, you only have to see some of the European fans that come to this country to see amazing support. If anyone saw the man city european cup game against that random Polish side will know what I mean. Those lads sang their hearts out and they even pulled off some choreographed moves which looked awesome on the telly. I'm talking when they all turned their backs to the pitch grabbed each other around the shoulder and started jumping up and down like they were mental. I fucking wanted to be there!

I've seen home matches in Bosnia and Croatia where you get crowds of 3k max but of that 3k a thousand lads will be singing literally through the entire game win or lose it's pretty cool, even inspiring. There’s always at least one lad with a loudspeaker orchestrating the fans they actually organise themselves a bit before games so there are a few leaders to keep the chants going.

I totally understand that some people won’t want to do that, they want to sit down and enjoy the game without having to shout themselves hoarse but I’d rather lose a match shouting my head of supporting my team than sitting quietly muttering at the refs decisions. I’ll be moving to the singing section at the end of this season, I think the matches will be a lot better win or lose.

The matches are so much better in level 7 like. Hate to blow our trumpets like but the toon ultras and likeminded fans won the singing section. We didn't go to meet people with portfolios and turn up with banners for nowt. :-)