The Garry Barry appreciation thread

The Prophet

Guest Chubby Jason

Rodwell has it nailed.

Maybe, but from what I hear he likes to bomb forward more than sit and hold, we need a player that can do that job for us, we haven't had one since Hargreaves in 06, such a shame he's so riddled with injures he was a fantastic player.

Guest Heneage

Rodwell has it nailed.

Maybe, but from what I hear he likes to bomb forward more than sit and hold, we need a player that can do that job for us, we haven't had one since Hargreaves in 06, such a shame he's so riddled with injures he was a fantastic player.

He does for Everton but for the U21's both he and Cattermole sat deep. Actually Cattermole looked surprisingly tidy when he was asked to do more than just smash folk.

Rodwell doesn't really bomb forward. His long term position will be DM. I can't see a more obvious central midfield pairing for the years to come than him and Wilshere.

That is, if they both keep progressing as they should.

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't watch the match, but I'll happily assume that he was shit and claim it as a fact. He's the most over-rated player out there.

i think huddlestone was playing really well before his recent injury. however he has similar flaws to carrick in terms of poor movement and again, like carrick, goes for the long pass too often. his first touch and general passing though is fantastic and he can be quite powerful/imposing when he wants to be.

Guest Roger Kint

I've got nothing against Barry himself, I'm more perturbed by the fact Capello keeps picking him when you could name plenty of people more deserving of a call-up.

I was hoping he wouldnt have played had Wilshire been passed fit to play in a three with Gerrard/Henderson.

I would love to see an England midfield with balanced midfielders in. No more Barry sat in defence, Gerrard upfront, wingers hugging the touchline and Jordan Henderson in the centre all alone on his debut. The French midfield was dynamic, they pass and then move into space, it isn't rocket science. The only player who stayed fairly prone was M'Vila, who was significantly more attacking than Barry in that when he got the ball, he looked for a pass, pinged it into feet and then made himself available. Barry bottled the pass, turned around and gave it to a CB/GK to hoof it up the pitch. Total shite.

The sooner we can get a genuine defensive midfielder into the England side, the better. You only have to look at how Tiote has transformed our first team to realise how important a role it is. Barry is neither a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder, he's just a gap filler.

when Capello first brought him into the first team he looked excellent and for a year or so he was up there with our best players, but now he's more of a hindrance than anything else.

Guest schmuck

Thing is he made his name in recent years as a poor man's Steven Gerrard - an attacking talisman for Villa, obviously nowhere near as dynamic but he was often on set pieces, took penalties, a lot of play went through him and he chipped in with a good number of assists and goals, but ever since that 3-0 against Russia where he proved a good quick fix in the absence of Hargreaves, his reputation has morphed into 'England's best holding player' for no real reason. It reminds me a lot of when Real Madrid bought Gravesen, the idea that good, but unspectacular attacking midfielders for decent teams = good defensive midfielders for top teams, which is ridiculous.

Not worth a place in the side ever tbh, if he ever gets back to form he might be worth a place in the squad as someone who can cover left back as well as left and centre mid, but unfortunately he's clearly one of Capello's favourites.

Guest schmuck

Was nowhere near as deep as Alonso, Petrov typically played that role for Villa. Arteta's a fair comparison though. I know it's tempting to think he was always rubbish but his last 3 years at Villa were genuinely good enough to make him unignorable for England call-ups but obviously he was nowhere near good enough to displace Lampard/Gerrard in a position where he could do himself justice - hence the worst of both worlds compromise of sticking him in deep midfield and enduring his ever worsening performances

Guest firetotheworks

He made his name as more of a poor man's Xabi Alonso/Mikel Arteta whilst at Villa while being nowhere near as good.

Alonso/Arteta. Quite different players imo.

Of couse, but obviously I mean their similarities:

Long sprawling passes,

Defence splitting through balls,

Quick, whipped crosses.

Tbf to Barry, he did have those for a little bit, but obviously Alonso and Arteta offer a lot more than that too.