Bolton 5 - 1 Newcastle United - 20/11/10 - post match reaction from page 32

Dave

its coach/manager job to tell you if you are too inside. everybody should know at this level what their job is..if there is players who ran around like headless chickens, then its all up to manager  :snod:

That's true, but in the West Ham game in the 1st Half Barton was drifting inside too much and in the 2nd half he wasn't and it helped us to win the game.  So was that the manager saying that, or the player dictating that ???

barton is CM, just like guthrie is. we cant expect anything else from them,  than getting inside to get more ball. that is  what they do...winger and CM is totally different places to play. you cant become good winger overnight and you cant become good CM overnight, that`s simple as  that. most CM`s dont have it it what it takes to play put wide, they just do whatever they can to help team if manager tells them to be winger

players playing in unfamiliar positions can often be caught out positionally but too often that excuse is used to account for poor control or passing which is basic technique.

Some players make the step-up from the championship some don't.

Has danny guthrie improved as a footballer at NUFC nope, that doesn't bode well for the future.

Hasn't played in his natural position yet this season.

I'll reserve judgement as to whether he can step up this season.

I think this is the most sensible mentality about Guthrie, though I will say I've seen very few glimpses of quality to have any great faith that he'll become someone useful for NUFC. (well, in the long run, he's useful now because he's a midfielder who isn't Alan Smith).

its coach/manager job to tell you if you are too inside. everybody should know at this level what their job is..if there is players who ran around like headless chickens, then its all up to manager  :snod:

That's true, but in the West Ham game in the 1st Half Barton was drifting inside too much and in the 2nd half he wasn't and it helped us to win the game.  So was that the manager saying that, or the player dictating that ???

barton is CM, just like guthrie is. we cant expect anything else from them,  than getting inside to get more ball. that is  what they do...winger and CM is totally different places to play. you cant become good winger overnight and you cant become good CM overnight, that`s simple as  that. most CM`s dont have it it what it takes to play put wide, they just do whatever they can to help team if manager tells them to be winger

players playing in unfamiliar positions can often be caught out positionally but too often that excuse is used to account for poor control or passing which is basic technique.

Agreed, but its not easy task to switch winger if you are used to play different possition. im not defending anybody but like i said its totally different ball game to play CM or Winger/Wide player...IMO :)

Guest neesy111

Agreed, but its not easy task to switch winger if you are used to play different possition. im not defending anybody but like i said its totally different ball game to play CM or Winger/Wide player...IMO :)

It is I agree, but madras is right in saying that people use it an excuse for when the player can't do the basic of tasks on the football field.

Think we've just got to forget about this, it was 'just one of them days'. We've had our fair share of them in our favour this season.

Think we've just got to forget about this, it was 'just one of them days'. We've had our fair share of them in our favour this season.

Yep :)

Guest neesy111

Yep :)

:lol:

The view from the...Home End :undecided:

Krul - 5 - couldn't do much about the two penalties, two one-on-ones by Elmander and Lee was given all the time in the world to pick his spot for the second. Seemed to realise his defence were having a shocker and lost all confidence in them early on, his distribution was erratic at best.

Simpson - 5 - best defender in a NUFC shirt today, not really saying much when we were thumped, occasionally went forward but not a lot happened.

Williamson - 4 - a very poor first half, seemed completely out of sorts against Davies and Elmander...letting the ball bounce? Thought we learnt our lesson against Blackburn. Would be making way for Campbell if Colo hadn't gone Jackie Chan.

Colo - 2 - wasn't exactly helped for their fourth by the ref, who missed the shove in the back (the home fans found that hilarious) but didn't do himself any favours by letting the ball bounce AGAIN AND AGAIN. Red card was deserved and seemed to be borne out of the frustration of being 'fouled' for the third. Didn't help us though.

Enrique - 3 - worst game I've seen him play in a balck and white shirt, even when he tried running at people in the second half, he's do the same move two or three times successfully and then rely on that for the next man...and get tackled. Didn't have any help from Jonas though, although I'm clutching at straws...penalty award was shocking (where have we seen this before? :rolleyes:)

Guthrie - 5 - bumped up a little because he WAS playing out of position but even then, he barely stuck to it and went wandering all over the pitch trying to force the issue early on. Should have tested Jaaskelainen with his left foot at 2-0 but instead copped out of the shot and wasted possession, summed up his day. Poor decision-making.

Smith - 4 - didn't realise he was playing until 20minutes into the game, had a few 'trademark tackles' in the second half which warmed the heart at 3-1 down but Bolton passed him out of the game. Didn't pass the ball out quick enough when in possession. Did make a fantastic flick with his head in first half to set one of the lads through...that was about it as a creative force.

Nolan - 4 - presumbaly he gave away the pen (we were at t'other end of ground) which knocks off a mark as it was blatant handball from 90 yards away, still seemed tidier in possession than the rest of our midfield...which is probably an indication of how poor we were. Didn't get any service around the box from the 'wingers' or front two, seemed to be visibly angry with the scoreline (I wonder why...) and the perfomance of the team. Not that it helped.

Jonas - 3 - must be injured, must be carrying a fairly serious knock but is battling through the pain (a la Ameobi c.2007) to help out the team. Really, he must be. Pulled out of every 60/40, let alone 50/50.

Ameobi - 4 - a few good touches, a few more dodgy ones. Did some good stuff, did a bit more bad stuff. Service wasn't great, in his defence, although he started to shadow Carroll a little more in second half which helped with the flick ons.

Carroll - 5 - battled gamely on his own, didn't look fit though, took his goal well but should have forced Jaaskelainen into a few more saves before that (see his low-percentage 'lob' attempt in first half, applaud the idea at 1-0 or 0-0, not when you're two goals down). Didn't have a cross into the box to attack all day, Zat Night(??) seemed to have the measure of him on the continued punts forward.

Subs:

Campbell - 6 - said at HT that this game was probably the launch of his Newcastle career, didn't do himself any harm. No nonsense.

Routledge - 6 - I can't believe I've actually come away from a match this season praising Routledge, fair play to him, at least he tried to do something - HE EVEN RAN AT DEFENDERS WITH THE BALL!!

Lovenkrands - 4 - missed two good chances, doesn't look match-fit/match-sharp which makes you wonder what reserve matches are for. Seems to be lacking in confidence.

Manager:

Hughton - 4 - wrong team selection, would be amazed to know what the pre-match and half-time team talks consisted of. Changes came far too late to help. Presumably he was trying to give the 'fringe' squad players some extra minutes to keep them happy (once the result was gone).

Our fans - 6 - pretty decent volume for 60mins

Their fans - 4 - no songs, just 3 kids sat behind a goal banging a drum :facepalm:

I'd wager Routledge's confidence will be well shot,and he'll be gone in January imo.

I've got a feeling he's the type of person as soon as he's dropped that's it, no effort in training and no determination to win back his place. Would explain why its gone wrong so many times after promising starts when he initially moves.

What post match comments did CH make?

On the BBC website clip he didn't take any of the blame & refused to criticise Colo.

Would make a decent contestant on Fighting Talk if he can 'defend the indefensible' :D

I'd wager Routledge's confidence will be well shot,and he'll be gone in January imo.

I've got a feeling he's the type of person as soon as he's dropped that's it, no effort in training and no determination to win back his place. Would explain why its gone wrong so many times after promising starts when he initially moves.

O0

Cant wait for Crumpy Gunt to come on and gloat about our defeat.

I'm not one to disappoint mate.

But, can anyone see this squad being good enough to stay up?

Definitely. We'll only win points with Tiote and Barton in the midfield though, so we are in for a rough couple of games until they're back.

Cant wait for Crumpy Gunt to come on and gloat about our defeat.

I'm not one to disappoint mate.

But, can anyone see this squad being good enough to stay up?

Yes.

But even if I didn't I wouldn't shout it from the rooftops on the back of every bad result.

Jesus wept.