Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Feel utterly lost now, no idea what to do with myself :(

:lol: Monitor transfers with the rest of us?

Other clubs transfers you mean? we don't buy players any more. Fucksake I really don't want to go back to club football :lol:

Feel utterly lost now, no idea what to do with myself :(

:lol: Monitor transfers with the rest of us?

Other clubs transfers you mean? we don't buy players any more. Fucksake I really don't want to go back to club football :lol:

:lol: The horrible thing is a small part of me actually truly did think it was going to be different this time.

I'll enjoy it when it comes round of course but a return to the financial dick-waving competition that is club football currently fills me with dread compared to the pure football of the World Cup.

Guest firetotheworks

10's by far the worst like, not even close.

[emoji38] Disagree.

Surprised that you feel that way considering Belgium didn't qualify.

10's by far the worst like, not even close.

[emoji38] Disagree.

Surprised that you feel that way considering Belgium didn't qualify.

:lol: Being comically American felt less evil back then.

This one was by far the one I enjoyed the least in terms of quality since 1998 :lol: Just look at the teams in the final. Two decent sides, but nothing to write home about. Think Germany in 14, Spain in 10, Italy 06, Brazil 02, France 98 would all have beaten both these sides comfortably.

Although was fun if you like underdogs going far, or if you are English/Belgian/Croatian/French.

Are we ruling out Griezmann or Mbappe getting a hat trick tomorrow then ?

Unlikely, sure, but not impossible.

Granted, Kane would still share the award.

No he wouldn’t

If there is more than one player with the same number of goals, since 1994 the tie-breaker goes to the player without a penalty goal, if none has a penalty then the tie breaker goes to the person with more Assists - with the FIFA Technical Study Group deciding whether an assist is to be counted as such.[9][10] If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker since 2006 goes to the player who has played the least amount of time.[11]

Turns out this is wrong incidentally, otherwise that twat Cheryshev would have wormed his way into third place and made my sweep a hassle. Goes straight to assists followed by minutes per goal, penalties make no difference.

Are we ruling out Griezmann or Mbappe getting a hat trick tomorrow then ?

Unlikely, sure, but not impossible.

Granted, Kane would still share the award.

No he wouldn’t

If there is more than one player with the same number of goals, since 1994 the tie-breaker goes to the player without a penalty goal, if none has a penalty then the tie breaker goes to the person with more Assists - with the FIFA Technical Study Group deciding whether an assist is to be counted as such.[9][10] If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker since 2006 goes to the player who has played the least amount of time.[11]

Turns out this is wrong incidentally, otherwise that twat Cheryshev would have wormed his way into third place and made my sweep a hassle. Goes straight to assists followed by minutes per goal, penalties make no difference.

I had heard of the assists that’s why I looked it up. Had never heard of the pens before. Fucking internet

Serious questions:

Where did Croatia go wrong?

Where did Belgium go wrong?

What did France so well do that gave them success?

(For me I enjoyed watching the two losing teams better than the winners.)

This one was by far the one I enjoyed the least in terms of quality since 1998 :lol: Just look at the teams in the final. Two decent sides, but nothing to write home about. Think Germany in 14, Spain in 10, Italy 06, Brazil 02, France 98 would all have beaten both these sides comfortably.

Although was fun if you like underdogs going far, or if you are English/Belgian/Croatian/French.

I think that's harsh on France. They're only the second team (the other being Brazil 2002) since Argentina in 1986, before which it was a different format, to win the four knockout stage games without needing extra time, they've not had it easy either, Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium was a tough route to the final but they've absolutely breezed it. They started very slowly but many winners have. They're an excellent side and deserved winners.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought I was gonna well up at the end of Match of the Day then [emoji38]. It's been an absolutely wonderful World Cup, like. FOOTBAAALL!!!

I think that's harsh on France. They're only the second team (the other being Brazil 2002) since Argentina in 1986, before which it was a different format, to win the four knockout stage games without needing extra time, they've not had it easy either, Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium was a tough route to the final but they've absolutely breezed it. They started very slowly but many winners have. They're an excellent side and deserved winners.

:thup: yep

How would people feel about fucking off the Euros and the other shite and having bi-annual World Cups?

I'm gutted that I have to wait 4 fucking years before the next one :lol:

Only because they’ve ruined Euro 2020 for absolutely no reason.

On paper it was a tough route, and it's hardly an accident, but goals change games and their set piece leads have made for perfect game scripts for them. Argentina especially were playing suicide football. I thought Croatia outplayed them yesterday, but the Griezmann dive and VAR fucked them over. They feel like default winners in the absence of a balanced complete side.

Wouldn't say they've breezed it tbf, but yes they've deserved it. However, both Argentina and Uruguay are no special sides as shown in this World Cup group stages as well as in the qualifiers. Belgium for everything were lucky to even go that far. I'm probably just mad we lost and probably jealous of France, who deservedly won. But still think all the past winners since '98 would've beaten them or at least were more talented.

Honestly, just can't digest Brazil didn't win this based on the performances from the other sides. France looked very solid, but nothing special all tournament imo. Happy for Kante and M'Bappé though. Love those two.