Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

They'll never get the go-ahead to move to the winter anyway.

Disagree.  Seems like more and more people are agreeing with the winter move.

Tentative winter schedule for 2022 has the final on the same day as the Super Bowl. :lol:

What a day that would be. Wouldn't be at the same time so would be absolute immense :lol:

Final in the morning and then Superbowl at night :lol: That's just shitty thinking from FIFA.

I don't really like it, but Qatar won the voting, and now they'll have to find a way to have it there. Impossible to have it there during the summer. Sepp Blatter deserves everything he gets the absolute twatface.

Final in the morning and then Superbowl at night :lol: That's just shitty thinking from FIFA.

I had the same thought --- one hell of a sunday!

Of course I'd be blacked out by the superbowl's halftime show, but hey what can you do?

I don't really like it, but Qatar won the voting, and now they'll have to find a way to have it there. Impossible to have it there during the summer. Sepp Blatter deserves everything he gets the absolute twatface.

Qatar won the vote based on a summer WC.  Hope the yanks and the aussies sue FIFA to hell and back if they try to move it.

Qatar won the vote based on a summer WC.  Hope the yanks and the aussies sue FIFA to hell and back if they try to move it.

Not one person on the FIFA committee questioned the weather at that time of year ,Qatar obviously did not give a shit understandably but wtf where the others thinking  :idiot2:

Not one person on the FIFA committee questioned the weather at that time of year ,Qatar obviously did not give a shit understandably but wtf where the others thinking  :idiot2:

they were thinking about the large amounts of cash placed in their pockets by Qatar

they were thinking about the large amounts of cash placed in their pockets by Qatar

silly me arguably a few whispers in the ear and an offer you cannot refuse may have made a difference but Fifa are now clean as a whistle these days  :whistle:

Disagree.  Seems like more and more people are agreeing with the winter move.

It's just so farcial. The other nations bid in good faith thinking it would be a summer World Cup, as it has always been. Then they up and change the rules. It's frustrating more than anything else that they get away with it. Fucking cunts.

They scored the lowest score of any bidding nation in WC bidding history on FIFAs own "suitability" report before the voting. :undecided:

Guest antz1uk

what gets me is the likes of ferdinand, beckham, all of these high profile footballers going out to africa for so called good causes, why cant the footballers raise this so something is done, the suffering of all of these migrant workers is disgusting, they should lose the world cup on this basis alone, the fa's around the world should be doing something about it. all the money trickling down and the amounts qatar has, yet these people will be getting peanuts. horrific

No they won a vote based on a World Cup in Football. And if it's down to Qatar themselves they'd play it in June/July, probably bigger chance of them winning. This is a FIFA and footballing federations voting. Now Blatter has himself a lot to argue since he and his colleagues weren't complaining when they were getting their pockets filled with money.

They can't remove the World Cup from Qatar, they won the voting. Now it's down to FIFA to arrange it in a good way or burn their own money on helping Qatar make it possible to host it in the summer.

what gets me is the likes of ferdinand, beckham, all of these high profile footballers going out to africa for so called good causes, why cant the footballers raise this so something is done, the suffering of all of these migrant workers is disgusting, they should lose the world cup on this basis alone, the fa's around the world should be doing something about it. all the money trickling down and the amounts qatar has, yet these people will be getting peanuts. horrific

Beckhams supporting a winter world cup............

I don't like this reasoning, this stuff about migrant workers happens all around the world. You think Sweden is perfect? Well ask the Cameroonians and Thai's who are stuck in northern sweden without money to go back home because they've been paid as slaves.

World Cup 2022: senior Fifa official says handing Qatar summer finals was a 'mistake' and 'very risky'

Senior official says Fifa made "mistake" in handing Qatar 2022 World Cup finals and players and spectators' health will be put at risk

Qatar won the 2022 World Cup bidding race before Fifa considered the inspection reports, according to the leader of the team who wrote the summaries. Harold Mayne-Nicholls, the former Fifa official, described the 2022 decision “a mistake” and called for a new voting process to stop executive committee members agreeing “deals”.

Mayne-Nicholls will tell a Leaders in Sport conference in London on Wednesday that Fifa must put politics aside and obey the recommendations of its task force when deciding an autumn/winter slot for Qatar 2022. His view that Fifa effectively ignored his team’s report adds weight to the suspicion that money and power counted for more than practicalities.

“When we made a report, they had a look at it, but the decision was taken before,” said Mayne-Nicholls, who now runs a charitable sporting foundation called Ganamos Todos in his native Chile. “Or the word was given: 'I gave you my word that I will vote for you,’ even when the report was not on the table. We need to change the system of how we elect who will be hosting the World Cup. We cannot keep this system. It has too many imperfections, for the legacy of the World Cup, and for Fifa.”

Speaking to The Telegraph, Mayne-Nicholls called for an “untouchable” expert commission to produce a ranking, with a three-nation shortlist, which would be taken to the Fifa ­congress, on the basis of one country, one vote. “We do it in a very short time, so it will be really difficult to concentrate the power of the votes.”

Almost three years into the wrangling over whether Qatar 2022 will be moved from summer to winter, the lead inspector insisted there was no evidence of corruption, but agreed that Fifa ignored his evidence.

“Unless they find something immoral or illegal I don’t think Qatar will lose the chance to stage the World Cup,” he said. “They got it. That’s democracy. But we need to work on the future. If not, we will be in a loop, making the same mistakes. Whatever they decide must be decided by the Exco [Fifa executive committee], but I would expect this time they will follow the proposals [of Fifa’s task force]. If not we go from one mistake to another. That will be even worse.”

How exactly Qatar won the 2022 bidding race remained unexplained. Mayne-Nicholls said: “Let’s say commerce, the power of money. They were very ambitious. They pushed hard. Qatar also wanted the Olympics, and bid for them, but the technicians said no.

“The decision was taken in December 2010. We are almost three years from then. There’s not a single way to prove that something anti-ethical was done. The football family, the media, are unable to prove things were not done in the right way. In my case, I went there, I wrote the report book, and nobody offered me anything, in any of the bids. So how can I say, yes, this was a problem?”

Choosing a new slot in the calendar was, he said, fraught with problems: “You have to delete July. From what I’ve been hearing, we have four chances. One is April, but if we do it in April all the leagues must be ­finished by March and will not be seen again until August. That would be chaotic for the football family. The second one I’ve heard is to do it in October/November. That’s OK, it’s not so warm as June and July, but you will have conflicts with all the club competitions all over the world. They are all playing, and we must stop them all, or it’s not fair.

“The third one is January/February. That’s OK, it’s cool there. It’s 20-25 degrees, cool enough to play ­football. But then you have problems with the three biggest leagues: Spain, Italy and the Premier League, because you don’t have breaks at that time. You have breaks in Germany, France and Russia, but not here. Here in England, you have Boxing Day and New Year’s Day games: huge icons.

“How about the middle of May to the middle of June? We would have to investigate the weather conditions then. There is not a perfect solution for this.”

Mayne-Nicholls could not explain how England’s 2018 bid failed so ­miserably: “You can always lose, but what I cannot understand is that you got two votes in the first round. Why two votes when the bid presentation was, if not No  1, very close to No 1? It’s only political, it’s not commercial, or communications, or legal, or the ­government, or the football. But you were not able to convince them.”

Russia 2018 will be a success, he insisted: “Russia is a different story [to Qatar]. They have a big cultural basis, very strong. It’s a country you can visit. They don’t have this weather. They have a football tradition. They have something to show to the world. I’m not saying they were the perfect hosts, but I don’t think Russia will be a problem, and they are organising this with Sochi [the Winter Olympics], which will give them major practice for the World Cup.”

He believed Fifa will survive one World Cup fiasco, but not a second: “It’s created a bad image for the World Cup, but we have 2018 and we will have 2026. We will lose credibility, but the players will show the [Fifa] board members, the press and the politicians, the right way to do things, in the game itself. They will prepare themselves and play. It doesn’t matter if they have to do it on the moon. As we say in Spanish, it’s for the glory.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10365074/World-Cup-2022-senior-Fifa-official-says-handing-Qatar-summer-finals-was-a-mistake-and-very-risky.html

• 3 weeks later...

@DickinsonTimes 50s

Michel Platini makes a huge stir in The Times tomorrow. Advocates a 40-team World Cup. Thinks it will happen.

:anguish:

Matt Dickinson ‏@DickinsonTimes 14s

Blatter wants to cut European places at World Cup. This is Platini's riposte - increase from 32 to 40 with extra team(s) for each continent

god almighty why do FIFA want to ruin their own tournement

@DickinsonTimes 50s

Michel Platini makes a huge stir in The Times tomorrow. Advocates a 40-team World Cup. Thinks it will happen.

Terrible idea. The slots allotted each region need to be re-distributed, but that's about it.

@DickinsonTimes 50s

I think it is a clever idea if done correctly. I proposed my idea on this forum before, where 24 of the teams (based on the seeded sides and the highest ranked qualifiers from each federation) are guaranteed entry to the group stages and the remaining 16 teams play a new first round of knockout ties to determine which eight sides join the other twenty four in the groups. It would be very entertaining.

FIFA are probably thinking of a double group stage though, which can be tedious.