West Brom vs Newcastle - Sunday 5th December 1:30pm (live on Sky)

Decky

If Nolan is out, what about:

Barton  Guthrie Tiote Jonas

Routledge

Carroll

thought about posting something like this in the chelsea match thread. i think its worth giving routledge a game up front, he's a bit impotent on the wing imo, being inside, he has to beat a man and shoot, rather then beat them and cross.

This is a must win game

Why? ???

1 win in 5 why.

3 wins in 7.

Statistics can do anything, really.

Only statistic that matters is that we're not in the bottom three come May.

I'd rather count on us getting three points here than against Liverpool. If we lose against WBA (which I think we could anyway), the pressure will be on us to beat Liverpool.

It's the type of game we've excelled in this season. Against a team who are skillful and attacking, and the onus is on them to open us up. We'll get our chance, and if we take it, we'll get something from the game.

A draw would be a good result. Half way to our required points total with still three games to go until half way through the season.

:thup:

Trying to put an unbeaten run together would be much more beneficial for the squad morale than chopping and changing wins/defeats.

I'd take 2 draws in the next couple of matches.

a draw would be a good result, a win would be better and is within our capabilities.

Certainly agree with you there, my comment was aimed towards BONTEMPI's "this is a must win match!!!11" - a bit uneccessary, don't you think?

For anyone going to the game, Get in 'The Vine' one of the best prematch watering holes you will get anywhere.

Asians run a big open kitchen curry room at the back of the pub, warm yourself up with one and a pint before the game, Lush!

---------------Krul

Simo----Sol-------Tayls-----Jose

Joey----Guth------Tiote-----Jonas

--------Shola------Carroll

I'd start with this too. 

Gives West Brom the twin towers to deal with, who are a nightmare for most defences when they are both on song. Hopefully Shola can be a little more effective against West Brom.

Barton was a revelation on the right  hopefully he can continue where he left off (before Blackburn) supplying those Beckham like crosses and this also gives us a more solid 4 man midfield protecting our defence more. Barton also seemed positionally brilliant. Knew when to be out wide, when to drift inside and how to link up with Simpson.

Ranger and/or Routledge on as impact subs if needs be in case Shola or a midfielder aren't up to scratch.

Subs: Krul, Kadar, Perch, Smith, Routledge, Ranger, Best

We can win this one . We need lots of service to the twin towers. Barton Pinging over his wonderfully accurate crosses and free kicks. Hopefully Jonas and Enrique having the beating of their men and geting crosses in too and a very mobile central paring of Tiote and Guthrie slotting their passes both through the midldle and out to the wings. Really fancy Carroll to score at least one header in this one and we are due another Barton screamer from outside the box.

Should be a really good game this one. Really looking forward to it.

Hopefully no indisipline from us.

Just watched the highlights of our FA Cup game against this lot last season, I remember us being robbed but Christ it was worse than I thought.

Their 2 pens were the softest I've ever seen, Raylor getting sent off for one of them, their first goal arguably didn't cross the line and we also had a stonewall penalty turned down. Didn't really know where to put this but watching the highlights of it got me really angry so I had to post it somewhere.  :lol:

---------------Krul

I'd start with this too. 

Gives West Brom the twin towers to deal with, who are a nightmare for most defences when they are both on song. Hopefully Shola can be a little more effective against West Brom.

Barton was a revelation on the right  hopefully he can continue where he left off (before Blackburn) supplying those Beckham like crosses and this also gives us a more solid 4 man midfield protecting our defence more. Barton also seemed positionally brilliant. Knew when to be out wide, when to drift inside and how to link up with Simpson.

Ranger and/or Routledge on as impact subs if needs be in case Shola or a midfielder aren't up to scratch.

We can win this one . We need lots of service to the twin towers. Barton Pinging over his wonderfully accurate crosses and free kicks. Hopefully Jonas and Enrique having the beating of their men and geting crosses in too and a very mobile central paring of Tiote and Guthrie slotting their passes both through the midldle and out to the wings. Really fancy Carroll to score at least one header in this one and we are due another Barton screamer from outside the box.

drop guthrie, routledge right, barton to the middle, jobsagoodun!

---------------Krul

I'd start with this too. 

Sensible post but a few things I'm not sure about. I would agree Barton protects the right back more than Routledge, which is important away from home espescially given the form Chris Brunt is in.

However I think we're becoming very predictable with just one winger and balls from Barton to Carroll every time. Teams do watch our highlights and spot patterns of play, you have to have other options. Routledge and Jonas does offer more balance even if the crosses are wayward. I wouldn't have considered Routledge but I thought he was good against Chelsea and has played his way into contention. Barton and Tiote in the middle gives us a good engine room. Guthrie is tidy on the ball, but just can't impose himself enough for a central midfielder, he is sluggish and second to too many balls. With Barton and Tiote in there I'd fancy our chances of winning the midfield battle.

Brunt will be a threat on the left wing. Barton will contain him better than Routledge, however Routledge's pace and dribbling may cause more problems and force him to drop back a bit where he is less effective. It depends if we are going for containment or going for the win. It's away but it's West Brom, I think we should go for the points. Barton inside and Routledge out wide, round pegs in round holes and all that.

Ameobi was very poor against Chelsea, he did almost nothing right and I'd be tempted to give Ranger a chance up front. He's a bit of an unknown quantity to them, he has different qualities to Ameobi even if he is raw, and might just give us a different dimension.

Definitely agree with Ohmelads about giving Ranger a go. I noticed that Ameobi was listed as "doubtful" before the Chelsea game and to me he just didn't look at full speed. I know he can be inconsistent but he just didn't look like he was moving properly. What I've noticed about Ranger is he's got a pretty good combination of size and speed and looks like the type of player who could really give defenders some trouble. Yeah he's raw but the he's just signed a 5 year deal hasn't he so Hughton etc must see something in him. If Ameobi is fully fit though no reason why he shouldn't atleast start again but giving Ranger a good 30 mins second half wouldn't hurt.

I'd give Routledge another shot on the wing too, I thought he looked sharp against Chelsea and he seems like a confidence player so we could do with getting him going again for us.