Diving

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are they f*** as bad.

Can't be arsed arguing with you on this one.

Got to second this, there's no way those fouls are anything like diving.

whats the difference ? both cheating and involve an attempt to con the officials.

Diving is a form of blatent play acting, cheating, scumbaggery and generally against everything football in principled upon.

Fouls are a slightly stronger upgrade on that ancient art of 'tackling' which is one of the things that our grand old game of football was created with.

Are they f*** as bad.

Can't be arsed arguing with you on this one.

Got to second this, there's no way those fouls are anything like diving.

whats the difference ? both cheating and involve an attempt to con the officials.

Diving and or feigning injury in an attempt to get an opponent sent off isn't half as bad as body-checking someone and then trying not to get sent off yourself man. If you commit a professional foul and are sent off its your fault and yours alone. If some cunt dives over your leg, you get a red card and the opposition team get a penalty, its just not the same.

You get red carded for what was once called a professional foul these days,as a professional foul was fouling to deny a goalscoring opportunity.I believe the first use of the term was by Phil Thompson to describe his bringing down of Forest's John O'Hare when clean through on Liverpools's goal in the European Cup first round tie 1978-79.

Professional fouling a la Solskjaer on Rob Lee is pretty much cheating your opponent out of a goal.

However, sacrificing yourself and taking the red card which usually dished out is not as bad as cheating to get someone else carded.

You get red carded for what was once called a professional foul these days,as a professional foul was fouling to deny a goalscoring opportunity.I believe the first use of the term was by Phil Thompson to describe his bringing down of Forest's John O'Hare when clean through on Liverpools's goal in the European Cup first round tie 1978-79.

i know what a professional foul is man. i meant the type i described earlier and 'professional type' was the best decsription i could think of. i used it here..http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,70930.msg2920465.html#msg2920465...without much problem. many of these types of foul go unpunished by more than a free kick but are every bit as snide and cynical as diving.

Problem with diving is that a lot of the dives people will have a different view on whether it is so consistency is going to be a problem. Therefore massive bans for divers etc will be hard to administer.

^ That's what UEFA are hiding behind for sure. How about they start with the obvious ones and go from there?

Seriously, it isn't hard. So many players should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

I don't understand why FIFA/UEFA (just like goal line technology) can't see that it's in their best interest long term to clamp down, because it's killing the game as a spectacle and killing the game's credibility.

The biggest problem though is no one is willing to look at themselves, every one passes the buck by saying "ohh but they do this, and those guys do that". Last night was an utter joke and we're going to see it again and again.

Diving should be an instant red card.  It's not like a foul where you could unintentionally catch an opponent badly (normally yellow card).  It's a deliberate attempt to win a free kick or at worst a pelanty, which has a serious effect on the game.  The risk of a yellow card (which refs are too cowardly to give out usually) isn't any deterrent when the reward could be turning one point into three.

Also, divers should definitely get dun on video evidense retrospectively if the ref didn't see it originally.  Punishment should be a five match ban.

That way, diving is too much a risk to attempt it.  Again, you can't accidentally dive, the same way you can't accidentally punch someone in the face.  Once the detterent is in place, Nani, Little P-nis, Rooney, Gerrard, VdV et al will all pack diving in pretty bloody quickly.

Oh, and Referees who don't punish a blatant dive should get a five match suspension.  That way, they are forced to act and won't blatantly favour the 'Sky 6' constantly.

They should make a start by banning players who clutch their face when any contact (which usually doesn't exist anyway) is blatantly nowhere near the head.

Call it the Rivaldo rule for reference.

Diving should be an instant red card.  It's not like a foul where you could unintentionally catch an opponent badly (normally yellow card).  It's a deliberate attempt to win a free kick or at worst a pelanty, which has a serious effect on the game.  The risk of a yellow card (which refs are too cowardly to give out usually) isn't any deterrent when the reward could be turning one point into three.

Also, divers should definitely get dun on video evidense retrospectively if the ref didn't see it originally.  Punishment should be a five match ban.

That way, diving is too much a risk to attempt it.  Again, you can't accidentally dive, the same way you can't accidentally punch someone in the face.  Once the detterent is in place, Nani, Little P-nis, Rooney, Gerrard, VdV et al will all pack diving in pretty bloody quickly.

Oh, and Referees who don't punish a blatant dive should get a five match suspension.  That way, they are forced to act and won't blatantly favour the 'Sky 6' constantly.

Diving is incredibly hard to spot in real time (hence why players do it); if you make it a red card offence you'll end up with players who are legitimately fouled getting sent off. I don't disagree with long punishments but they should be retrospective.

Diving should be an instant red card.  It's not like a foul where you could unintentionally catch an opponent badly (normally yellow card).  It's a deliberate attempt to win a free kick or at worst a pelanty, which has a serious effect on the game.  The risk of a yellow card (which refs are too cowardly to give out usually) isn't any deterrent when the reward could be turning one point into three.

Also, divers should definitely get dun on video evidense retrospectively if the ref didn't see it originally.  Punishment should be a five match ban.

That way, diving is too much a risk to attempt it.  Again, you can't accidentally dive, the same way you can't accidentally punch someone in the face.  Once the detterent is in place, Nani, Little P-nis, Rooney, Gerrard, VdV et al will all pack diving in pretty bloody quickly.

Oh, and Referees who don't punish a blatant dive should get a five match suspension.  That way, they are forced to act and won't blatantly favour the 'Sky 6' constantly.

Diving is incredibly hard to spot in real time (hence why players do it); if you make it a red card offence you'll end up with players who are legitimately fouled getting sent off. I don't disagree with long punishments but they should be retrospective.

This I agree with but even then it would only be the very blatant ones that would get done as it is a very subjective area.

One of the big plus points also with having video review bans, is that it would take pressure off refs. Starting to give refs sanctions for missing something would be extremely counter productive.

Just such a win-win-win situation for all involved... retarded a solid, clear system hasn't already been in place for years.

One of the big plus points also with having video review bans, is that it would take pressure off refs. Starting to give refs sanctions for missing something would be extremely counter productive.

Just such a win-win-win situation for all involved... retarded a solid, clear system hasn't already been in place for years.

just for dives or for every possible foul ?

What part is that referring to?

Video reviews should be in place for any type of incident whatsoever. Dives, play acting, rolling around on the floor too long, violence etc...

In specifically a situation where a ref is being conned but isn't sure whether it's a dive, or foul and either takes no action or makes a wrong decision, I feel it would be counter productive to sanction the ref.

Obviously if a ref is constantly making mistakes and bad calls, that's a different issue.

Edit:

And fuck all that silliness about "if a ref has seen an incident but dealt with it in a wrong way, we can't change it"... Refs should be applauded for getting things right, but can't see everything. If they know the right sanctions will be made in time it would take some pressure off them.

Any sanction taken on the pitch should be able to be increased or decreased upon review according to what is fair.

What part is that referring to?

Video reviews should be in place for any type of incident whatsoever. Dives, play acting, rolling around on the floor too long, violence etc...

In specifically a situation where a ref is being conned but isn't sure whether it's a dive, or foul and either takes no action or makes a wrong decision, I feel it would be counter productive to sanction the ref.

Obviously if a ref is constantly making mistakes and bad calls, that's a different issue.

Edit:

And f*** all that silliness about "if a ref has seen an incident but dealt with it in a wrong way, we can't change it"... Refs should be applauded for getting things right, but can't see everything. If they know the right sanctions will be made in time it would take some pressure off them.

Any sanction taken on the pitch should be able to be increased or decreased upon review according to what is fair.

be an interesting idea as i'm fairly sure most players would be retrospectivly red carded every game.