L'equipe and La Gazetta dello Sport

AyeDubbleYoo

I always wondered why we don't have an equivalent publication like these in English, a regular dedicated sports paper that comes out regularly.

I don't speak Italian or French that well, but I always get the impression that they have a pretty high standard of commentary and content. Can anyone who is fluent enough to tell confirm that?

Would love to see a publication like that it the UK, we have stuff like FourFourTwo, but it comes out too rarely to be topical. Wonder whether there's a market for it, maybe even just a digital edition?

Spain has 4, but 2 are biased towards Real Madrid and two towards Barca, basically. They are not much better than what you get on the back of the British rags to be fair, except there is more of it. They are officially sports newspapers but they must be at least 80% footy talk.

I suppose there would be demand for a British daily sports paper like the Spanish ones, I also wonder why it hasn't happened.

Or sportsmen really, or general interest in other sports. Cycling, swimming, tennis, basketball, handball etc are far bigger and more mainstream in Europe. We wouldn't have enough sport to cover daily that would merit a designated newspaper.

Linked to this, I once thought it would be a good idea to produce a national football newspaper based on regional papers. Basically it would have the football sections from the Evening Chronicle and other papers like the Evening Standard, Liverpool Echo, Manchester Evening News, etc. All these papers publish in the evening and the football part could be collated and printed the following morning.

Or sportsmen really, or general interest in other sports. Cycling, swimming, tennis, basketball, handball etc are far bigger and more mainstream in Europe. We wouldn't have enough sport to cover daily that would merit a designated newspaper.

On the other hand, we have rugby, rugby league and cricket.

Spain has 4, but 2 are biased towards Real Madrid and two towards Barca, basically. They are not much better than what you get on the back of the British rags to be fair, except there is more of it. They are officially sports newspapers but they must be at least 80% footy talk.

I suppose there would be demand for a British daily sports paper like the Spanish ones, I also wonder why it hasn't happened.

I think your tabloids cover much of that need. Sensationalistic football reporting (that what our sports "newspapers" are).

As I said, Marca and El Mundo Deportivo were pretty classy sports rags until Sport and As came around in the 1980s and cannibalized their sales with  partisan, tabloid-like reporting. They eventually switched to that style themselves.

Would many people buy it for the cricket outside of The Ashes period and is really that much of a rugby fanbase to buy a daily on it?

Rugby yes. Both codes. Rugby League has two specific 'Rugby only' papers that sell very well and have been going for a while.

Would many people buy it for the cricket outside of The Ashes period and is really that much of a rugby fanbase to buy a daily on it?

There's more people in England interested in rugby and cricket than there are people in, say, Germany interested in basketball and handball.

Would be a good idea, but there again so would a Saturday evening football paper, perhaps on the same colour paper as the Financial Times.

Remember going into a bar in Italy several years ago on a Monday evening and picking up a discarded Gazetta del Sport - we were one of the headline stories - about a horrendous tackle by Thomas Gravesen of Everton on one of our players from the day befores match. Can't remember who the player was ??

Would be a good idea, but there again so would a Saturday evening football paper, perhaps on the same colour paper as the Financial Times.

Remember going into a bar in Italy several years ago on a Monday evening and picking up a discarded Gazetta del Sport - we were one of the headline stories - about a horrendous tackle by Thomas Gravesen of Everton on one of our players from the day befores match. Can't remember who the player was ??

Olivier Bernard. We didn't even get a free kick, Everton got the ball back and won a penalty in the same passage of play.

Olivier Bernard. We didn't even get a free kick, Everton got the ball back and won a penalty in the same passage of play.

Thats right. I remember being really angry and the article was highlighting how "big" the incident was.

Seems like some things never change for us !

As people have said the papers in Spain are practically Barca or Real Madrid publications. In Italy it is pretty much the same as the two sport papers operate mainly on a Rome or Milan sports agenda. Th

There have been a few local/national football/sports papers over the years the. The Rugby paper comes out once a week.

I buy the Journal & Chron which gives me plenty of coverage of NUFC, Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Eagles, Durham CCC + Vipers/Warriors. I used to read The Pink which was a great weekly evening sports paper but suffered badly with SKY moving games around & the era SSN.

Guest ItalianMagpie

but I always get the impression that they have a pretty high standard of commentary and content.

Not really. La Gazzetta dello Sport used to be a good paper some years ago (let's say 10...), now it's only a mix of useless interviews, boring reportages about what happens in the italian football association (and I guarantee that you wouldn't like to know...), tits and gossips.