Chris Hughton

stozo

He's not a Premier League boss because he's cowardly. Making Nolan the focus of the side - which Pardew ended - was a symptom of that.

Wasn't Carroll the focus of the side? Nolan didn't do too bad a job mind and given the options available I would say he was used pretty effectively :dontknow:

So if you wanted a manager to assert himself amongst strong personalities you'd chose Hughton? Serious question, btw.

There is more than one way to gain respect and you don't need to be an disciplinarian to do it. You don't have to go around throttling players (Souness) to get them to respond to you.

Hughton has had no problems with players during his short management career as far as I am aware. Sometimes giving people the respect they deserve isn't the worst approach, often you will have people willing to want to work hard for you.

You should go with Holloway, much better manager and is a good laugh.

Nah, to big an ego.

Talking to Raneiri, I hope not, never done much really.

Show me a good manager who doesn't have an ego. They all do to a great extent, or no one would listen or follow them.

Not going to deny certain players have improved, some have come on leaps and bounds.

Doesn't mean Hughton was doing a bad job. Being cynical you could say Guthrie was playing for new contract, as for Perch he might have just taken a while to settle into a new club.

Your main issue with Hughton seems to be he consistantly picked a player who was one of the best two central midfielders we had at the club, a goal captain and from a goalscoring point of view a prolific goalscorer.

As for 'not a premier league manager', you are basing this on half a season where he had his newly promoted side sitting in a top 10 position?

Nah, to big an ego.

Show me a good manager who doesn't have an ego. They all do to a great extent, or no one would listen or follow them.

Maybe so, but he likes to advertise himself a bit too much for my liking, good fun though.

Nah, to big an ego.

Maybe so, but he likes to advertise himself a bit too much for my liking, good fun though.

In all fairness you could do with the exposure. WBA have never in my lifetime struck me as a team that stirs any emotion amongst the neutrals. Suppose Hughton would be perfect in the respect.

Not going to deny certain players have improved, some have come on leaps and bounds.

Doesn't mean Hughton was doing a bad job. Being cynical you could say Guthrie was playing for new contract, as for Perch he might have just taken a while to settle into a new club.

Your main issue with Hughton seems to be he consistantly picked a player who was one of the best two central midfielders we had at the club, a goal captain and from a goalscoring point of view a prolific goalscorer.

As for 'not a premier league manager', you are basing this on half a season where he had his newly promoted side sitting in a top 10 position?

Not that it matters but we were 12th when Pards took over.

I'm basing it on everything I know about him. I wanted him to stay in the job for the sake of stability but he was never the long term answer. Never really convinced by him, as much as I like him as a bloke.

As a neutral, it was my impression that Nolan was one of the major reasons for your promotion, I am surprised that Hughton is being criticised for playing him.

Without the benefit of hindsight who would you have brought on for Nolan?

He was capable of getting a goal and lets face it he moved as much after 5 minutes as he did after 75 minutes so it wasn't a hinderence to his game keeping him on. We had Smith and THAT Guthrie to bring on.

I wouldn't say it was unusual for a manager to leave a captain on and Nolan was a good captain.

Hughton and WBA seem like a perfect fit to me.

Nah, Pardew gets the better out of our players. And it's been sunny for the past week. And Cameron is PM. And any other irrelevant statements.

Canny rich saying Hughton doesn't get the best out of players when he's the one and only manager responsible for getting £35m performances out of Andy Carroll like. I realise that doesn't count though... I don't know why but it doesn't.

Rate Hughton but don't think he is a good match for West Brom.

West Brom are at their highest ebb in my lifetime, good team spirit, and well guided tactically under Hodgson.

Hughton is a very good team motivator and players will want to play for him, but I don't think those assets will benefit West Brom and instead he would represent worse than they had with Hodgson.

Canny rich saying Hughton doesn't get the best out of players when he's the one and only manager responsible for getting £35m performances out of Andy Carroll like. I realise that doesn't count though... I don't know why but it doesn't.

It's no more relevant than Guthrie, Taylor, Nolan and Campbell being noticeably overweight after a full pre-season with Hughton, I guess.

It's no mor relevant than Guthrie, Taylor, Nolan and Campbell being noticeably overweight after a full pre-season with Hughton, I guess.

Club policy since Souness to bulk players up to be fair.

Lets not use Campbell against him anyway.

Glad Pardew ended this policy and made certain players lose that weight.

It's no more relevant than Guthrie, Taylor, Nolan and Campbell being noticeably overweight after a full pre-season with Hughton, I guess.

And Nolan still got 12 goals from midfield. Another example of getting the best out of players. Joey Barton too.

EDIT: why am I doing it again?

It's no mor relevant than Guthrie, Taylor, Nolan and Campbell being noticeably overweight after a full pre-season with Hughton, I guess.

Club policy since Souness to bulk players up to be fair.

Lets not use Campbell against him anyway.

Glad Pardew ended this policy and made certain players lose that weight.

Yeah, Campbell was told to bulk up on the day of his introduction to Darsley, no doubt.

And Nolan still got 12 goals from midfield. Another example of getting the best out of players.

Nolan being replaced by Cabaye is just about the best replacement I've seen at the club in a decade, and I'm not a massive fan of Cabaye.

Scoring a goal once every 3.5 games is the least Nolan owed us, given the fact I never saw him dominate in midfield once.

And Nolan still got 12 goals from midfield. Another example of getting the best out of players.

Nolan being replaced by Cabaye is just about the best replacement I've seen at the club in a decade, and I'm not a massive fan of Cabaye.

:lol:

And that's the least relevant point I've seen posted on this forum in the same time period.

Nolan's biggest fan arrives.

Tired of talking about him. Bolton get rid of him despite him being their captain too, then he spent 2 out of the next 3 seasons where he belongs, in the Championship.

Tired of talking about him. Bolton get rid of him despite him being their captain too, then he spent 2 out of the next 3 seasons where he belongs, in the Championship.

You have a strange habit of developing unnatural vendettas against people who have done a lot for our club. Quite the oddity.

You have a strange habit of developing unnatural vendettas against people who have done a lot for our club. Quite the oddity.

Yeah, Nolan cost £4M, earnt 45,000 a week and scored 29 goals in 2 and a half years at the club, then (thankfully) left to play in the Championship for an extra 10K a week.

Club legend.