Alan Pardew

JH

Scotland Assistant manager having a go at Pardew's comments about the standard of the SPL on SSN just there saying many SPL players would "walk into the Newcastle side". :lol: :lol: :lol:

bless, wouldn't have a single one of the players up there myself

Pardew seems to have upset the SPL with his comments last week of it being a poorer league.  Dundee Utd manager says there are many SPL players that would walk into the Newcastle team!!

Pardew seems to have upset the SPL with his comments last week of it being a poorer league.  Dundee Utd manager says there are many SPL players that would walk into the Newcastle team!!

Ha Ha. Maybe 1 or 2 from Celtic and Rangers and that's about it.

Forster :pow:

The fact that Celtic have loaned our third choice keeper and he's their star player pretty much sums up the state of the SPL. Scottish fans won't like it but Pardew is 100% right.

Did he tell you this? He played probably his best game for us 5 days after Hughton was sacked, so he couldn't have been that distraught by the decision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1337382/Andy-Carroll-Chris-Hughton-sacking-stupid--blasts-Newcastle-United-star.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-face-loss-of-carroll-after-shock-hughton-sacking-2153083.html

Plus plenty of sound bites about how close they were. You could always check this stuff instead of just diving in head first looking for an argument  :aww:

Pardew steps up hunt for 'quality' new players

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

May 23 2011

ALAN PARDEW today admitted he was only just beginning his summer masterplan to rebuild Newcastle United by proclaiming: “The hard work starts here.”

Pardew assured United supporters that he is aiming to bring in “better players”.

But after the Premier League’s big finale, the Londoner was facing the juggling act of waiting for decisions from stars he has already targeted and securing the futures of popular duo Joey Barton and Jose Enrique.

Barton wants to stay at St James’ Park, but has yet to come to an agreement with the Magpies, while Enrique’s silence and refusal so far to nail his colours to the black-and-white mast have left some fans convinced he will be plying his trade elsewhere next term.

United already have contingency plans in the event of Enrique quitting St James’ Park, with 22-year-old Toulouse left-back Cheikh M'Bengue heavily linked with a move to Tyneside in recent weeks.

The Chronicle revealed on February 24 news of Pardew’s first scouting mission to France to run the rule over Toulouse stars, but M’Bengue has also caught the eye of other top European sides this season.

The Enrique situation is far from helpful for Pardew.

The United boss has already made it clear that his priority is to bag “two new strikers and a wide man”.

Understandably he is keen to address United’s lack of a predatory threat in front of goal, with none of the current strikers hitting double figures this season and midfielder Kevin Nolan – who is also talking to the club over a new deal – ending the term as leading scorer with 12 goals.

And when asked what his message to United fans was ahead of a summer, he said: “We want to have better players next year, and get the maximum out of them.

“We’re in that process – that’s all I can say. I think it’s important we bring in quality players.

“We missed a lot of players this season.

“There’s no way we’d have lost that lead (against West Brom) with Cheick Tiote and Kevin Nolan in the team.

“We need more quality players that can come in and make sure we win more games next year – it’s as simple as that.”

Pardew feels that he is gradually winning over sections of the Toon support, with some fans casting the former West Ham boss as the bad guy when Chris Hughton lost his job earlier in the season.

Yesterday there were positive chants of Pardew’s name from some of Newcastle hardcore support up on Level 7.

And he reflected: "It was nice – It was a lovely moment for myself.

"I came in under difficult circumstances. You had a gentleman manager in Chris Hughton, and for me, it was nice.

"We’ve worked hard. We feel we’ve done really well with the squad we’ve had.

"We got the maximum out of them, and that’s all you can do."

With United 3-0 up and cruising a serious of substitutions appeared to drain some of the momentum away from the black- and-whites. Pardew said: "That was a problem for us, the three coming off the bench had had long-term injuries. Danny Guthrie and Alan Smith hadn’t played. "

:: UNITED are expected to confirm the arrival of French youth international winger Mehdi Abeid following a recent trial with the club.

Abeid’s last club was Lens, and he is a France Under-18 international.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//2011/05/23/pardew-steps-up-hunt-for-quality-new-players-72703-28745138/2/#ixzz1NBzxYG5E

You could always check this stuff instead of just diving in head first looking for an argument 

:thup:

I do hope you've taken this sparkling piece of advice into consideration.

Disappointing. Must try harder. 4/10.

But one of the things that is bothering me is that now Pardew's been here a while, we've 'coincidentally' developed this habit of throwing away leads and victories, often well into injury time, that we never had under Hughton. A slightly harsh statistic, but the 6 points we've lost to 90+ minute goals alone under him would've had us in a comfortable 8th. One thing that could at least be said for us before he came is that we were solid - we usually kept results, and if anyone scored late it was us. I don't mean to focus on Hughton, but our main failing with him was chasing victories when dead level, lacking the talent to kill it and getting sucker punched. Now, our leads have become unreliable, and I can feel that monkey starting to crawl onto our back all over again.

I wouldn't say three times, spaced out over four months, was a 'habit' like.

Plus there have been plenty where we've played out results effectively (Bolton 10 men and Wigan come to mind) and times where we've scored late to get results (Tiote vs Arsenal, Taylor vs Chelsea).

At the minute, I can't really put much between them. Hughton gave us some spectacular results and a decent start, whilst Pardew made us stronger against the teams we should be beating and given us a decent finish.

There's more to it than just the games in which we conceded after the 90th minute. Just go through our league results this season on .com (and remember the character of last season for good measure, to get the tone of our play).

Under Hughton we failed to hold a lead in 2 games - Stoke and Chelsea (we had to last 84 minutes in that game). That's gone up to 6 for Pardew (Sunderland, Tottenham, Bolton, Everton, Blackpool and West Bromwich). That's 5 and 12 points lost respectively. I definitely don't, but a handful might count Liverpool and make it 7 leads lost for Pardew, fwiw.

Regarding close games we held onto tightly after getting the advantage (i.e. not slaughters like Villa and Wolves), it's either 3-3 or 3-2 to Hughton (depends on whether you think we should have let the Birmingham home game become close after going 2-0 ahead). (The other games are Everton, Arsenal and West Ham vs. Wigan and Birmingham away, fyi)

As for turning games around and not letting an early goal decide it, Pardew's only managed that 2 times - Chelsea and Arsenal (I've already given my thoughts on that last one...). Hughton managed it between 3 and 5 times - Wolves, Wigan and West Ham. Arguments can be made for Manchester City away and Blackburn at home where each time we equalised earlyish (24th and 47th minutes) and started pressing for winners before getting suckered late on. On the one hand the result turned out the same, but on the other we at least gave ourselves a shot at winning and taking three points, which boded well for the future. That's 2 points gained for Pardew and 5/7 for Hughton.

The idea our finishes have improved under Pardew doesn't bear out. The truth is that most of his good results, in fact most of our just about tolerable results as well, come after we've started well and often finished weaker. It's a statement of the obvious, but our better finishes match up with our comebacks, and so under Pardew we've only definitely gotten better towards the end of a game on 2 occasions - Chelsea and Arsenal. An argument can be made for 3 (seeing the Bolton game out with 10 men). Personally, there's no way I'd list Liverpool at home here when he'd only met the players 48 hours earlier, any more than I'd give caretaker Beardsley credit, but some people might make it 4. Hughton's second halves also got stronger 2 or 3 times, meanwhile (Wolves, Wigan and putting the winner past West Ham away).

As a final small point, seeing as you said we had better starts under Hughton, we only went ahead 2 times in the first quarter (23 minutes) of our games, while we went behind 5 times - Aston Villa and Chelsea vs. Man City, Wigan, West Ham, Blackburn, Bolton. Under Pardew, it's been 7/8 times ahead and 4/5 times behind. The arguable ones for Pardew are Liverpool (as usual) and Aston Villa at home (they went ahead before the 24th minute mark, which you might let squeak in, given stoppage time).

But one of the things that is bothering me is that now Pardew's been here a while, we've 'coincidentally' developed this habit of throwing away leads and victories, often well into injury time, that we never had under Hughton. A slightly harsh statistic, but the 6 points we've lost to 90+ minute goals alone under him would've had us in a comfortable 8th. One thing that could at least be said for us before he came is that we were solid - we usually kept results, and if anyone scored late it was us. I don't mean to focus on Hughton, but our main failing with him was chasing victories when dead level, lacking the talent to kill it and getting sucker punched. Now, our leads have become unreliable, and I can feel that monkey starting to crawl onto our back all over again.

Plus there have been plenty where we've played out results effectively (Bolton 10 men and Wigan come to mind) and times where we've scored late to get results (Tiote vs Arsenal, Taylor vs Chelsea).

At the minute, I can't really put much between them. Hughton gave us some spectacular results and a decent start, whilst Pardew made us stronger against the teams we should be beating and given us a decent finish.

There's more to it than just the games in which we conceded after the 90th minute. Just go through our league results this season on .com (and remember the character of last season for good measure, to get the tone of our play).

Under Hughton we failed to hold a lead in 2 games - Stoke and Chelsea (we had to last 84 minutes in that game). That's gone up to 6 for Pardew (Sunderland, Tottenham, Bolton, Everton, Blackpool and West Bromwich). That's 5 and 12 points lost respectively. I definitely don't, but a handful might count Liverpool and make it 7 leads lost for Pardew, fwiw.

Regarding close games we held onto tightly after getting the advantage (i.e. not slaughters like Villa and Wolves), it's either 3-3 or 3-2 to Hughton (depends on whether you think we should have let the Birmingham home game become close after going 2-0 ahead). (The other games are Everton, Arsenal and West Ham vs. Wigan and Birmingham away, fyi)

As for turning games around and not letting an early goal decide it, Pardew's only managed that 2 times - Chelsea and Arsenal (I've already given my thoughts on that last one...). Hughton managed it between 3 and 5 times - Wolves, Wigan and West Ham. Arguments can be made for Manchester City away and Blackburn at home where each time we equalised earlyish (24th and 47th minutes) and started pressing for winners before getting suckered late on. On the one hand the result turned out the same, but on the other we at least gave ourselves a shot at winning and taking three points, which boded well for the future. That's 2 points gained for Pardew and 5/7 for Hughton.

The idea our finishes have improved under Pardew doesn't bear out. The truth is that most of his good results, in fact most of our just about tolerable results as well, come after we've started well and often finished weaker. It's a statement of the obvious, but our better finishes match up with our comebacks, and so under Pardew we've only definitely gotten better towards the end of a game on 2 occasions - Chelsea and Arsenal. An argument can be made for 3 (seeing the Bolton game out with 10 men). Personally, there's no way I'd list Liverpool at home here when he'd only met the players 48 hours earlier, any more than I'd give caretaker Beardsley credit, but some people might make it 4. Hughton's second halves also got stronger 2 or 3 times, meanwhile (Wolves, Wigan and putting the winner past West Ham away).

As a final small point, seeing as you said we had better starts under Hughton, we only went ahead 2 times in the first quarter (23 minutes) of our games, while we went behind 5 times - Aston Villa and Chelsea vs. Man City, Wigan, West Ham, Blackburn, Bolton. Under Pardew, it's been 7/8 times ahead and 4/5 times behind. The arguable ones are Liverpool (as usual) and Aston Villa at home (they went ahead before the 24th minute mark, which you might let squeak in, given stoppage time).

Surely his point on the Hughton giving us a decent start and Pardew giving us a decent finish are based on the season as a whole and not a breakdown of a game into minutes?

Also his comment about throwing away leads was about yours saying we do it often into injury time.

Surely his point on the Hughton giving us a decent start and Pardew giving us a decent finish are based on the season as a whole and not a breakdown of a game into minutes?

Also his comment about throwing away leads was about yours saying we do it often into injury time.

Ah, you'll be right about the starts and finishes. Following on from the rest of the post, my mind was on a certain track... still, at least the info is there now.

If you're right about throwing away leads, though, he didn't read me properly seeing as I didn't say that. I think 3 injury times in 6 lost leads is often enough to say often, though...

Ah, you'll be right about the starts and finishes. Following on from the rest of the post, my mind was on a certain track... still, at least the info is there now.

If you're right about throwing away leads, though, he didn't read me properly seeing as I didn't say that. I think 3 injury times in 6 lost leads is often enough to say often, though...

:thup:

As a final small point, seeing as you said we had better starts under Hughton, we only went ahead 2 times in the first quarter (23 minutes) of our games, while we went behind 5 times - Aston Villa and Chelsea vs. Man City, Wigan, West Ham, Blackburn, Bolton. Under Pardew, it's been 7/8 times ahead and 4/5 times behind. The arguable ones for Pardew are Liverpool (as usual) and Aston Villa at home (they went ahead before the 24th minute mark, which you might let squeak in, given stoppage time).

Interesting stats. Hughton did seem to be quite good at closing games out because he was naturally more cautious than Pardew. Tough one to balance because we probably get more wins against weaker teams the way Pardew sets us up.

This is gonna be very controversial to say, there'll be a few different views, but looking through the fixture list with the benefit of hindsight, taking into account natural quality and form at the time of each game, I'm tempted to say Pardew only wins 3-2 against Hughton in terms of getting victories against weak teams. That's partly because I credit beating Wigan away, for example, as being better than simply doing a weak team for Pardew. I make it West Ham, Wolves and Birmingham (h) vs. Aston Villa and West Ham.

I don't think we saw enough of Hughton or have seen enough of Pardew in the Premiership to use stats as any sort of evidence to big up either. There are all sorts of reasons why they got some of their good and some of their bad results. I really liked Chis Hughton and we all have reason to be grateful for what he did for this club. But you've got to call it as you see it - purely as a manager of this football club Pardew is an upgrade for me and there are no meaningful stats right now that will convince me otherwise.