Alan Pardew

JH

I like Pardew. But his tactical inconsistency and unwillingness to change things I find unbelievably frustrating. His substitutions all came far too late today and when they did come, there was no logic to them whatsoever (Ferguson excluded). And by playing Ameobi up top on his own like that only invites the opportunity for our lads to knock it long to him when; that's pointless as it's giving the ball away. and with the players we had out on the pitch today against Brighton we should have passed them to death.

Just been reading Shane Ferguson's comments on .cock and once again there are references to getting a draw. Can't help but feel there wasn't enough emphasis on simply winning the game.

i really don't understand why he took that approach to the game. haven't been as baffled since Allardyce lined us up in a roman tortoise formation away at the mighty Derby.

i really don't understand why he took that approach to the game. haven't been as baffled since Allardyce lined us up in a roman tortoise formation away at the mighty Derby.

I was just going to post that.

I am disappointed in him over the last 2 games and the way we perform in cups under him, particularly the FA Cup. However we're not going to get perfection with any manager, we're 6th and I have faith.

Despite the last two games I still think this is the system which will suit us best. The ACoN players in for Guthrie, Best and Shola and I think we'll see a marked improvement.

more like a 4-2-3-1 for me, with Cisse up front and a HBA, Ba and Jonas behind, Ba being most advanced obviously. Does lack width though, fairly happy with the old 4-4-2 really, it's more about what roles Cabaye and HBA play than anything.

We cant play 4-3-3 with cisse and ba. Neither are wingers.

Cisse would probably be in the middle, with probably Ba and HBA in the wide positions, both have played there in the past.

Still wouldn't want to see Ba shifted out wide though, he's good enough linking up and tends to drift and drop back a bit anyway, but he's at his most lethal in the box. he's pretty much a monster in any situation as long as he's close to the goal - turns shit crosses, awkward passes, tight situations into concrete chances. not many strikers in the prem who can do that consistently. Hopefully Cisse complements him well though we'll have to wait and see on that front.

Guest Dontooner

Despite the last two games I still think this is the system which will suit us best. The ACoN players in for Guthrie, Best and Shola and I think we'll see a marked improvement.

yeah Pretty much feel the same way formation wise, at least the flair players are getting involved..but its still relatively new ,still hope he persist with it.

Pardew will never be tactically or systematically good at creating footballing sides, proven this over his older regimes. He tries things which is a plus but cant seem to put enough detail to the players to play them to their best. Individual players have step up and help us along this season and will likely continue to be the case... Unless you got a intelligent player in the team that could fill in the spaces and pass the ball comfortably with continually and intent( Thought Marvx would have being the foil this season, unfortunate about his injury) , Pardew's sides are going to be inconsistent more direct, or even when we try to play, we will likely look toothless. I blame his caliber of being a manager, there is a stark difference between a real tactician and a below or average manager. Clear as day to me, that the players are more talented then the manager , however this has being the case for years since Sir Bobby left us..

Guest Dontooner

I do want to add on to my previous post, i doubt we would be able to change the Management role at Newcastle for now due to the owners and Fans.....however i dont think all is lost, in terms of having a good quality side that could play attractive football. We indeed have some good ball playing players... since Pardew's heavily relies on individuals to keep the team moving, we just need to buy this players to fill the void that Pardew cant fill tactically...It would likely be the case if he succeeds at Newcastle. IMO we only own one player of that mold that has good football intelligence and tend to keep things simple and effective. Which is Marvx, that hasnt prove himself or being on the side lines. We need more players like him that rely on intelligence to play footy rather than the raw talent atm, we need it like a glue to gel the flair players together and allow them space. As bad or difficult as Barton was as a person, he was one of those that use his intelligence to influence the game, that is what we need in the midfield. Side note, Cabaye has been fantastic for us since his arrival but he needs to get the ball moving more positively forward and at a much faster pace....our midfield are like old men often dwelling or trying too hard to tactically orchestra things, should just keep it simple and pass the ball to the flair players and support them.

I can see why people really are gutted after tonights result. Despite theese two last matches, I really want pardew to continue, this, and next season atleast. We need some long sought continuity at the club. And aslong as we got progression as a club I'm happy with him. When thing have stabalized. The club is self sufficient enough to actually use money, then we can have the slightest hope of getting a known manager at the helm. Where we are right now is at the hardest step in english footie. Taking the last step up to get into those CL spots.

I agree, but I would like the left attacker to move in closer to the striker, especially when the ball is on the right side of the pitch.

Guest VaVaVoom

I agree, but I would like the left attacker to move in closer to the striker, especially when the ball is on the right side of the pitch.

And vice versa.

Beauty of playing 4231 with Ben Arfa is we can easily change to 4312 where he is in the hole or to the standard 442 with ease.

Guest VaVaVoom

said before that blackburn is a key game for us coming up, and that was based on beating brighton

pardew needs to engineer a win on wednesday like or i honestly think things might taper off

Dunno about taper off like. We have the three lads coming back from Africa and Barfa is settling into his right wing position. It will click into place.

A draw on wednesday is a start. The bare minimum. A win would put us in great stead to hammer Villa on saturday. ;)

we'll see, i'm talking as much about momentum as much as anything - if we lose to blackburn that'll be 3 shitty results on the bounce and ba/cisse may well not be able to right that fast enough, maybe

then again maybe it's just the cutting edge we're missing, still makes blackburn a key result 'cause they won't be playing in it

Guest VaVaVoom

we'll see, i'm talking as much about momentum as much as anything - if we lose to blackburn that'll be 3 shitty results on the bounce and ba/cisse may well not be able to right that fast enough, maybe

then again maybe it's just the cutting edge we're missing, still makes blackburn a key result 'cause they won't be playing in it

How wont they?

I'm counting the days until Pardew is sacked. Sometimes the first impression is the right one and mine was formed when Pardew pandered to the East End rags and dropped Mascherano and Tevez because he just didn't know how to use them. His best results have come when he's reverted to the long ball because that's where his heart lies, but our buying policy is light years ahead and he's struggling to incorporate modern day footballers into his '80s mindset. I don't know why he took the players to Tenerife tbh, he should have took them to Butlins.

I'm counting the days until Pardew is sacked. Sometimes the first impression is the right one and mine was formed when Pardew pandered to the East End rags and dropped Mascherano and Tevez because he just didn't know how to use them. His best results have come when he's reverted to the long ball because that's where his heart lies, but our buying policy is light years ahead and he's struggling to incorporate modern day footballers into his '80s mindset. I don't know why he took the players to Tenerife tbh, he should have took them to Butlins.

while i think this is way ott i have the same gut feeling, in the same way i felt that hughton had took us as far as he was going around the time he was bagged

a better manager could get more out of what we've got imo, but that's a blindingly simplistic way to look at things - for a start how many "better managers" could work under MA and DL?

Why change a formation thats essentially been working? Jonas in that "free" role was a complete and utter farce. Waddle was right about how much space there was between Best and Ameobi up front too. It was all very awkward and smelt of caution with a "lets just get this game out the way and then get em back to St James with our big guns to put em away". Major cock up that we didn't simply go for it. Alright we were unlucky with the deflected goal and should've had a penalty but the fact we just didn't put their defence under pressure at all is pathetic really. In fairness though Best had a great chance in teh first half with that header, a top draw striker would've buried that we'd probably have won 1-0 and nobody would've said anymore about a quite frankly awful game.