Alan Pardew

JH

I think he's doing a really good job, and I'm starting to warm to him, but some of the things he says is just ridiculous.

That Mirror article for example, quite a lot of it is alright. But why the hell is he talking about the manager who comes in after him ffs? :lol:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Andy-Carroll-cost-a-highly-unusual-30million-up-front-plus-25-of-any-sell-on-fee-as-Newcastle-played-hardball-on-transfer-deadline-day-article700813.html

"I still go back to my first week when I went into a petrol station at minus-three degrees and I bumped into one of our fans, a bloke of about 43, who had the full kit on and he was asking me questions. That took some beating.

:facepalm:

A bloke of about 43? That's canny specific like  :lol:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Andy-Carroll-cost-a-highly-unusual-30million-up-front-plus-25-of-any-sell-on-fee-as-Newcastle-played-hardball-on-transfer-deadline-day-article700813.html

"I still go back to my first week when I went into a petrol station at minus-three degrees and I bumped into one of our fans, a bloke of about 43, who had the full kit on and he was asking me questions. That took some beating.

:facepalm:

A bloke of about 43? That's canny specific like  :lol:

and i'm sure jim smith told exactly the same story when he first came up here.

Agree with that. Think he's doing alright, but suspect he's a w***** and ultimately doomed for that reason.

I'm not sure about that. He's made some mistakes in the past, like fooling around with certain women. But all players who  have worked with him say he's a nice fellow and that he is a skilled manager. According to some reports he was treated as s*** in Soton.  He must have seen it as a blow not being a manager in PL, since he probably feels he got the competence to do it.. He was out of a job, and suddenly MA comes along and offers him one of the biggest manager jobs in PL. This is probably a make or break job for him. If he fails with Castle, he will probably never be offered a PL-job again. In other words, I'm pretty sure that he will not be doing the same mistakes, behavior-wise, again. And he's already shown some humbleness to the job. In particular, he's been very respectful about what a great job Chris did with the club..

Guest Stephen927

He's doing well, that seems to be the general consensus. Not being a doommonger or anything but I think the view of him will have changed by September/October.

He'll be judged on the players he brings in (rightly or wrongly).

I say that because i think what a manager can do with the players he inherits is more telling.

However, if he's allowed to seriously strengthen the team, 2 strikers, another wide man and a back up for Tiote and Enrique (should those 2 stay) he'll end up with a good reputation imo coz he seems fairly clued in with training and matchdays.

Good article:http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/02/18/alan-pardew-focused-on-finer-details-61634-28191621/

In particular:

“We report on every game, the build-up, the training, little things that happen – if a player pulled out late, why did it happen? So there will be some sort of history here for the next manager, which is important given the size of this club. It’s good to know what went on and what goes on here.”

(...)

“We’ve increased the staff, we have two more analysts working with the team now because I didn’t think there were enough analysts. We’ve got them in studying the opposition, studying us, collaborating it all

After Pardew took over, our play seems more "pre-planned" imo. Eg. against Bham one of the most important aspects was to deny crossers because that is the only time Zigic is dangerous. And he received only one good cross the whole game.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/02/18/liverpool-was-the-right-move-for-andy-carroll-61634-28191465/#ixzz1EJGTGGTB

“As the manager has said, if we are going to get that money to re-invest in the summer, you add three or four players to the squad after what we have done this year, it’s going to be great for us. That is how you have to look at the Andy deal.

“It was tough to take, but in retrospect we got top, top money for him. When me and him were talking about it, I said to him I would have accepted £25m, he said he’d have accepted £20m. I don’t think he could believe the sum.

Does Nolan mean Pardew here?  I thought Pardew said he advised Ashley to reject £20m, £25m, £30m....?  :dowie:

I know. I'm generally just a bit disappointed with everything Nolan's had to say regarding the Carroll sale. It's no great shakes or anything and i think, generally, he's a very good Captain. But going onto Liverpool's site and waxing lyrical, and then saying he'd have sold Carroll for £20m - i think given what the guy meant to the club as a player and as a figure, it's a bit insensitive of Nolan. But i normally enjoy listening to everything he has to say. You can't deny his honesty - i just question his feelings regarding what happened in January.

I know. I'm generally just a bit disappointed with everything Nolan's had to say regarding the Carroll sale. It's no great shakes or anything and i think, generally, he's a very good Captain. But going onto Liverpool's site and waxing lyrical, and then saying he'd have sold Carroll for £20m - i think given what the guy meant to the club as a player and as a figure, it's a bit insensitive of Nolan. But i normally enjoy listening to everything he has to say. You can't deny his honesty - i just question his feelings regarding what happened in January.

Agree with every word :thup:

I wouldn't have accepted any sum.

Me either but if I was a Man U fan I would have said the same about Cronaldo.

All owners will have a very different limit to the fans.

Ronaldo had repeatedly stated it was his wish to go to Madrid, they had to let him go eventually and their fans had yonks to get used to it. It's ridiculous that even after Man Utd convinced him to stay another season they still got a world record fee for him like. :laugh:

Think we seen some good quotes from him today. Lets hope it´s just not good quotes but also that we lives up to them. Don´t think we need to spend all the Carroll money to improve (see this summer). But it would be a very risky game to play.

In a way I like the "new" Newcastle with a sound economy than under crazy Shepherd. Let´s just hope that we can continue to scout well. The success of a player at a club isn´t necessary how much he cost.

More Tioté and Ben Arfa please :thup:

Think we seen some good quotes from him today. Lets hope it´s just not good quotes but also that we lives up to them. Don´t think we need to spend all the Carroll money to improve (see this summer). But it would be a very risky game to play.

In a way I like the "new" Newcastle with a sound economy than under crazy Shepherd. Let´s just hope that we can continue to scout well. The success of a player at a club isn´t necessary how much he cost.

Couldn't have said it better my self. And the fact that we only paid £3.5 for his Holiness, makes it much more fun too watch him play. 

The manager who signed those players is gone though.

Tioté andease :thup:

Crazy Shep & stupid old  Bobby buying Cort, Gavilan, Bassedas, Viana & Bramble. The pair of them wasted club money. I am surprised they never got a relegation on there CV while running NUFC.

That's true when it comes to HBA I guess. CH is liked by everyone and  is a true gentlemen (he's actually my favorite behind Sir Bobby), and that could be the main reason for HBA wanting to sign for us. But when it comes to Tiote, is much more about having the proper scouting network in place. If Carr and Co have done their job properly, which they obviously did with Tiote, Chris' approval is only a formality.

That's true when it comes to HBA I guess. CH is liked by everyone and  is a true gentlemen (he's actually my favorite behind Sir Bobby), and that could be the main reason for HBA wanting to sign for us. But when it comes to Tiote, is much more about having the proper scouting network in place. If Carr and Co have done their job properly, which they obviously did with Tiote, Chris' approval is only a formality.

Hughton watched Tiote under KK's instructions before Carr was even employed by NUFC though.

I don't agree with this current trend of denigrating Hughton's signings as not being his. Even if he hadn't scouted Tiote (which he did but no-one likes to mention that), so what? I've never queried who scouted Laurent Robert because I'm not interested - Bobby Robson signed him, so he takes credit, just as he would take "blame" for Bassedas.

Never heard of anyone having a go at Wenger and claiming his transfer policy is not his, just because he might not personally have been in Barcelona watching a 14 year old Fabregas.

I might tidy this up later, I've taken the info on face value, the site could be wrong where I got it from.

These are all of his signings before he came here and the information comes from http://www.soccerbase.com

John Mackie Sutton Utd Free 28 Oct, 1999

Mark Bowen Wigan Free 07 Dec, 1999

Matt Robinson Portsmouth £150,000 28 Jan, 2000

Martin Butler Cambridge U £750,000 01 Feb, 2000

Sammy Igoe Portsmouth £100,000 23 Mar, 2000

Keith Jones Charlton Free                     03 Jul, 2000

Adrian Viveash Walsall Free                     03 Jul, 2000

Ady Williams Wolves Free                     03 Jul, 2000

Ricky Newman Millwall Free                      25 Jul, 2000

Joe Gamble Cork City Undisclosed           08 Aug, 2000

Tony Rougier Port Vale £325,000               11 Aug, 2000

Jamie Cureton Bristol R £250,000              21 Aug, 2000