Alan Pardew

JH

So it's okay to judge and sack a manager on the basis of five games now? How pathetically short-sighted.

Which is why I said it depends on the timescale you use, gosh you really must be blind. Those 5 games should not be used to sessed Hughton's overall 'achievement' as a manager but is a sufficient yardstick to see where our form was going (it's called a trend Dave) and whether our form improved under Pardew.

Can you fuck off following me around? Cheers.

:lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Pardew has done a top job in difficult circumstances.

Look what he has had to deal with

A disappointed and sceptical playing squad

Fans apathetic to his appointment

No tiote for large periods

No Carroll for large periods and then being the public face to explain his sale

No shola for a few games

One of the biggest cup shocks in recent years

The guy has the thickest of skin and has done a top top job when considering the above

He's massively changed my opinion of him. Top stuff

I think Pardew has done a top job in difficult circumstances.

Look what he has had to deal with

A disappointed and sceptical playing squad

Fans apathetic to his appointment

No tiote for large periods

No Carroll for large periods and then being the public face to explain his sale

No shola for a few games

One of the biggest cup shocks in recent years

The guy has the thickest of skin and has done a top top job when considering the above

He's massively changed my opinion of him. Top stuff

Cannot argue against his results, which are impressive. Especially when considering all the stuff he had to deal with, as you mention

Critics of Mike Ashley’s transfer blueprint – bringing in young, promising players with a point to prove rather than ‘names’ reaching the end of their career – have accused United of trying to achieve success on the cheap.

Who's said that? And who wouldn't want 'success on the cheap'? Piffle, man.

Critics of Mike Ashley’s transfer blueprint – bringing in young, promising players with a point to prove rather than ‘names’ reaching the end of their career – have accused United of trying to achieve success on the cheap.

Who's said that? And who wouldn't want 'success on the cheap'? Piffle, man.

nah man we all want to spend 50m on a player

i'd prefer it if Pardew, and anyone else at the club just shut the fuck up tbh

shut up, win some more games, repair the squad in the summer and then we'll talk - 'til then keep your trap shut boys

They've had plenty of criticism for not talking to the media enough.

shut up, win some more games, repair the squad in the summer and then we'll talk - 'til then keep your trap shut boys

i know that, but they just talk too much shit for my liking

what kind of fucking prep work saw us 0-4 down at home to arsenal like? :lol:

or maybe it was the analysis that got us 4 goals back? ???

Interesting stuff. Do like the sound of it.

Tbf to Pardew, outside of the Arsenal game we've only conceded 3 goals in 7 games. Two of those in injury time & one v fulham down to player error. We could easily potentially have conceded 0 in 7. Which is amazing. Our defensive shape looks v good atm, so he does look to be doing a good job there. Dunno what happened with Arsenal.

i'd prefer it if Pardew, and anyone else at the club just shut the f*** up tbh

i know that, but they just talk too much s*** for my liking

what kind of f***ing prep work saw us 0-4 down at home to arsenal like? :lol:

I think he talks too much as well.  New managers are always saying how they are improving things on the predecessor and start off  talking a good game.  I think he is trying to hard to say the right things - whether that is to impress or put over an image the club wants to promote, we will find out in due course.

Next season will tell us more.  Will he manage to hold onto the key players in the Summer and what kind of signings will he make? Once he has moulded his own team, we will see if he is as good as he keeps telling us.

I think he talks about the right amount and he's eloquent and sensible too.

I was a great admirer of CH but I don't think we'd be sitting with 35 points presently with the same injuries etc, had he still been here.

We certainly press the opposition more and better under Pardew and generally look like a much tighter unit.

Considering the uphill battle he's had in almost every aspect of the job, he's performed admirably to date.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Btw I don't understand this statement. Has this been reported correctly? Players with no value but have been successful are not wanted?

He told The Journal: "The agenda has been set and I have to work to that. They want players here with value and in defence of Mike, there are times when players have come to this club who bring no future value but have been successful.

"That is an area he does not want to be involved in again. Without naming names, that is something I have to understand. I have to bring players here of a good age who can add value.

The players bottled it in the first half against Arsenal - no amount of analysis can prepare for that. Look at Real Madrid against Barcelona - do you think Mourinho didn't do everything in his power to analyse and prepare for that match? Sometimes things don't go to plan, but that doesn't mean it isn't encouraging that the management team are taking more thorough steps to try and get results.

i'd prefer it if Pardew, and anyone else at the club just shut the f*** up tbh

i know that, but they just talk too much s*** for my liking

what kind of f***ing prep work saw us 0-4 down at home to arsenal like? :lol:

The players bottled it in the first half against Arsenal - no amount of analysis can prepare for that. Look at Real Madrid against Barcelona - do you think Mourinho didn't do everything in his power to analyse and prepare for that match? Sometimes things don't go to plan, but that doesn't mean it isn't encouraging that the management team are taking more thorough steps to try and get results.

Pardew explained himself (again very eloquently) that from the lunch time meeting that day things had not seemed right and he sensed a depressed mood amongst the squad. That certainly ties in with the first half hour on the pitch.

A few home truths were told at half time and in fairness to the players we've been superb in the two and a half games since.

i was taking the piss man, of course it's good that we're actually preparing in this manner - what i don't like is that we're supposed to see it as new and revolutionary, we should be asking why haven't we been analysing our opponents and ourselves in depth for years

Btw I don't understand this statement. Has this been reported correctly? Players with no value but have been successful are not wanted?

He told The Journal: "The agenda has been set and I have to work to that. They want players here with value and in defence of Mike, there are times when players have come to this club who bring no future value but have been successful.

"That is an area he does not want to be involved in again. Without naming names, that is something I have to understand. I have to bring players here of a good age who can add value.

Think it just comes accross badly in print, I'm assuming he means players have be brought in who have had past success and once they came were more likely to go backwards than have things to prove and develop further.

/making a few assumptions there though. :lol:

The whole argument regarding the money and how we spend it is pretty ridiculous tbh. It's barely worth considering cos there's so much up in the air. Will we get it? Won't we get it? We don't know so it's pointless for us, as the ignorant supporters, to speculate.

However, the general debate on 'amount spent' is just stupid. Who gives a shit what we spend, so long as we bring in the correct players and upgrade the squad sufficiently? For varying reasons, Barton's comments about peanuts are just is redundant as Pardew's response about the likes of Shorey and Wright.

/ In Barton's case, i still understand what he's saying - though it's a little insensitive.

/ In Pardew's case - the game has changed considerably since then so those examples don't match up in today's market.

The only thing that is worth any sort of argument is whether any penny-pinching (that will or will not take place), prohibits us from fulfilling the massive potential the crux of this squad has. That's what Barton's saying imo, although he didn't word it particularly well.

i was taking the piss man, of course it's good that we're actually preparing in this manner - what i don't like is that we're supposed to see it as new and revolutionary, we should be asking why haven't we been analysing our opponents and ourselves in depth for years

Sorry, I don't associate you with having a sense of humour, so I just assumed you were being serious. :razz:

The whole argument regarding the money and how we spend it is pretty ridiculous tbh. It's barely worth considering cos there's so much up in the air. Will we get it? Won't we get it? We don't know so it's pointless for us, as the ignorant supporters, to speculate.

However, the general debate on 'amount spent' is just stupid. Who gives a s*** what we spend, so long as we bring in the correct players and upgrade the squad sufficiently? For varying reasons, Barton's comments about peanuts are just is redundant as Pardew's response about the likes of Shorey and Wright.

/ In Barton's case, i still understand what he's saying - though it's a little insensitive.

/ In Pardew's case - the game has changed considerably since then so those examples don't match up in today's market.

The only thing that is worth any sort of argument is whether any penny-pinching (that will or will not take place), prohibits us from fulfilling the massive potential the crux of this squad has. That's what Barton's saying imo, although he didn't word it particularly well.

Absofukkinlutely !

I care very much what we spend. The more you spend on one player, the less is the margins of error. We may think that we bought the right player, but still he may f*** up.  He may be seriously injured etc. And that could leave the club in a s*** state. Spend less, and spend wisely and the error of margins increases. If we still make a mistake, the club will be able to take the hit. I want success too, but on on the expense of the club's long term health.