Alan Pardew

JH

Workmate of mine (Tottenham fan) was at an event in London last night called the 'Nordoff Robbins Football Extravaganza' which was raising money for charity. A number of people involved in the game were there (from a Newcastle perspective Shearer and Lee) but interestingly both Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew were both in attendance.

As Alan Pardew was heading towards the stairs to leave, Hughton was in the way. Pardew went over to Hughton, tapped him on the shoulder, gave him a quick handshake and left. The guys from my work who were there described the moment as 'frosty'. Clearly still no love lost there. My mate also chatted to Chris for a fair bit (only about Spurs alas) and said he was the nicest bloke he's ever met.

"It attracted a wealth of people from the football world, including Alex McLeish, Mick McCarthy, Roy Hodgson, Alan Pardew, David Moyes, Steve McClaren and Alan Shearer, who said he wished he had had Mourinho as a manager at Newcastle."

I guess the entire debate re: Ferguson annoys me.

The whole "He's really good, but he hasn't started a PL game before so I don't think he should start."

The argument against him starting seems purely based on the fact he hadn't ever started a PL game before.  Well, once that applied to Carroll, Owen, Torres and Cantona.  You have to start them at some point.  You see Wilshere and Ramsey clocking up league appearances before 20, why are we so afraid of blooding youngsters when they do appear to have quality and only doing it instead when everyone else dies?

Also, when the other option is putting fucking Steven "I'll back off for fifty yards but stare really hard at the ball so I look heroic" Taylor at RB and shifting Simpson out of position at LB, I can't see why there's even a debate?

One kid verus messing up the shape of the entire backline AGAIN.

The whole "He's really good, but he hasn't started a PL game before so I don't think he should start."

The argument against him starting seems purely based on the fact he hadn't ever started a PL game before.  Well, once that applied to Carroll, Owen, Torres and Cantona.  You have to start them at some point.  You see Wilshere and Ramsey clocking up league appearances before 20, why are we so afraid of blooding youngsters when they do appear to have quality and only doing it instead when everyone else dies?

Also, when the other option is putting fucking Steven "I'll back off for fifty yards but stare really hard at the ball so I look heroic" Taylor at RB and shifting Simpson out of position at LB, I can't see why there's even a debate?

Ah right, yeah he should just play him and see how he gets on but at least he explains why he hasn't. 

Also, when the other option is putting f***ing Steven "I'll back off for fifty yards but stare really hard at the ball so I look heroic" Taylor at RB and shifting Simpson out of position at LB, I can't see why there's even a debate?

Ah right, yeah he should just play him and see how he gets on but at least he explains why he hasn't. 

But the explanation makes no sense.

It's like a guy standing up in court, and saying, "Yes, your honour, I shot him in the face.  But, in my defence, he did look at me funny."

"Well, son.  It was wrong.  But at least you explain why."

Also, when the other option is putting f***ing Steven "I'll back off for fifty yards but stare really hard at the ball so I look heroic" Taylor at RB and shifting Simpson out of position at LB, I can't see why there's even a debate?

It's like a guy standing up in court, and saying, "Yes, your honour, I shot him in the face.  But, in my defence, he did look at me funny."

More to do with the opposition. The two games he's mentioning being Stoke and Wolves would arguably be against the 2 most physical sides in the league. He's taken that into account and made/will make his decisions with that fact in mind.

More to do with the opposition. The two games he's mentioning being Stoke and Wolves would arguably be against the 2 most physical sides in the league. He's taken that into account and made/will make his decisions with that fact in mind.

But he's proved he's capable against Stoke.

And unsettling the backline never works.

Perhaps you're just playing Devil's Advocate, but it seems a clear choice to me.

But he's proved he's capable against Stoke.

And unsettling the backline never works.

Perhaps you're just playing Devil's Advocate, but it seems a clear choice to me.

I agree and I'd play him too. But I can also understand why Pardew might not share out opinion. :thup:

Guest Mantis

Pardew is on Total Sport (Radio Newcastle) on Monday evening to take calls etc.

That will be riveting. 

I agree and I'd play him too. But I can also understand why Pardew might not share out opinion. :thup:

I don't understand his reason/opinion, if you're good enough then that's all that should matter and Ferguson either is or isn't good enough.

For arguments sake, let us say we didn't concede those late goals against Sunderland and Tottenham. Do people think Pardew would be quite as hesitant to play Ferguson then?

I for one think he wouldn't.

For arguments sake, let us say we didn't concede those late goals against Sunderland and Tottenham. Do people think Pardew would be quite as hesitant to play Ferguson then?

I think he has something against playing our younger players, look at the team he played against Stevenage.

I think he has something against playing our younger players, look at the team he played against Stevenage.

Ya he prefers to swallow our young ones!