Alan Pardew

JH

If spent well that 35m could be the masterstroke that takes us up to the top 7.

I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people but this summer is pretty much the last vestigial hope I'm hanging on to before ah.. turning into Wullie, basically.

I've heard it all before though mate. It's always the same... judge in summer... s***, well judge in January... s***, well the summer is the time to judge etc etc. There's a point where you have to say enough is enough, and I'm a long way past that point.

Seeing as we're 9th, we should be demanding more than top 7. Suspect we'd be there anyway if we'd kept AC9.

We were 12th when Pardew replaced your mate.

I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people but this summer is pretty much the last vestigial hope I'm hanging on to before ah.. turning into Wullie, basically.

I've heard it all before though mate. It's always the same... judge in summer... s***, well judge in January... s***, well the summer is the time to judge etc etc. There's a point where you have to say enough is enough, and I'm a long way past that point.

Seeing as we're 9th, we should be demanding more than top 7. Suspect we'd be there anyway if we'd kept AC9.

Grow up man.

I've never really had a point in the past where I was thinking I'd "judge them in the summer" or whatever. We've never really been in the position to have a "big" transfer window for the past few years and I just always assumed we'd get a barrel full of shit. If anything, I've seen my rock-bottom-low expectations pleasantly exceeded :lol:

Don't know how many times i've somehow found/had hope for "next season" even when knowing it's probably gonna go down the same road over and over again. I guess that's what you have to live with as a Newcastle fan.

Grow up man.

Your points just don't quite add up, man. As much as I agree with a few of them.

Grow up man.

Your points just don't quite add up, man. As much as I agree with a few of them.

God forbid I should be fond of someone employed by NUFC and be disappointed to see him leave because I thought he was doing a good job and progressing the team in the way that I felt was right. People (not necessarily yourself) complain there's not enough sentimentality in football anymore but they're queuing up to have a go if a fellow supporter is gutted about something.

Done great to continue Hughtons hard work, regardless of how much I think it is still down to 'this group of lads'. He had a tough job, and he's won people over. He has only got it wrong two or three times, max.

Not Hughton or Keegan. :lol:

As in 'popular managers who actually achieved something for us'.

:lol: It's quite ridiculous to compare Hughton's "accomplishments" to other managers you are talking about. I wonder if West Brom supporters hold Mowbray in such high regard for getting them promoted.

I don't think Hughton's achieved that much. I'll always like him, but it is ridiculous to paint him as some sort of messiah.

... :rolleyes: Jesus. So you wouldn't put him under 'Popular manager who acheived something for the club'? That's ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as the interpretations you've taken from that statement, however.

I didn't paint him as a messiah in the slightest so stop putting words in my mouth. If you read the initial post, i said "Pardew isn't Hughton or Keegan, but he isn't Souness or Kinnear either." Obviously he didn't have an effect of the same magnitude as KK (he might've done, eventually) - but he ranks as one of our more successful managers of recent times.

Every grain of positivity that lingers in the club at the moment - from a purely footballing perspective - Hughton has a level of responsibility for. To varying extents. You can't say he 'didn't achieve that much'. Absolutely instrumental in us diluting the potentially catastrophic effects of relegation. There's a lot to thank him for.

No, he's not at the same level as Keegan. But i never said that.

Well I am interested to see what happens in the Summer because I have no idea what kind of player Pardew would go for or who he would sell of the current squad.  We probably need 4 or 5 at the moment but if Jose goes and a few of the fringe players, then we could be bringing in a lot of new players.  How much upheaval will that cause?

The second season after promotion is often harder but we could be looking to gel a lot of players who are new to the Premier League and who might need a year or two like Jose and Colo before they adapt.  I am not yet won over by Pardew although he does seem to be trying hard to impress and fit in but as with all managers, he will be judged by his signings.  £35m does not look much when you think of what a thin squad we have.  Next year it will his team so we shall see where we are this time next year.

It was about 18 months ago that the forum went mad (I actually thought it was pretty positive news) when Hughton was appointed on a permanent basis. And it was less than 21 months back that I logged on to find a thread called 'Hughton is a yellow bellied coward', or something along those lines. He was universally disliked on here for a while.

Was he ever really 'universally disliked'? Obviously you've got the occassional half-wit who jumps on the back of any individual and makes a thread. But as far as i'm concerned, a lot of people were only disappointed with his appointment because it seemed cheap and short-term, and he wasn't Shearer. And there was a ruffle of uncertainty around Christmas time in the Championship when it looked like the wheels might fall off; most people hoped at that time we'd have to upgrade if we got to the Premiership. Don't think he was ever categorically disliked, though.

It was about 18 months ago that the forum went mad (I actually thought it was pretty positive news) when Hughton was appointed on a permanent basis. And it was less than 21 months back that I logged on to find a thread called 'Hughton is a yellow bellied coward', or something along those lines. He was universally disliked on here for a while.

It was a case of people didn't rate him rather than people didn't like him.

It's different with Pardew. Despite him averaging pretty much what Hughton did in the first half of the season, he's still pretty much hated and not-rated on here.

Even if he takes us back into Europe, some still won't budge. It's sad, but true.

It was a case of people didn't rate him rather than people didn't like him.

It's different with Pardew. Despite him averaging pretty much what Hughton did in the first half of the season, he's still pretty much hated and not-rated on here.

Even if he takes us back into Europe, some still won't budge. It's sad, but true.

don't agree with that. while hughton wasn't hated, there was plenty on here that didn't rate him. me included. but he won people over through hard work, a dignified approach, some sensible decisions regarding playing staff, transfers and tactics, good results and then finally performances on the pitch better than most expected.

that shows that people can be won over by a manager, and the same can happen with Pardew.

i think the way he was appointed counts against him, but it is nothing that can't be overcome through onfield success.