Alan Pardew

JH

With Souness everyone knew from day one he was going to destroy the club, only FFS didn't. I think Pardew has got a chance to build on what we have and improve us, it's not just a matter of waiting around until he fucks up and is sacked so we can't enjoy games anymore like it was under Souness.

With Souness everyone knew from day one he was going to destroy the club, only FFS didn't. I think Pardew has got a chance to build on what we have and improve us, it's not just a matter of waiting around until he fucks up and is sacked so we can't enjoy games anymore like it was under Souness.

Apart from me not expecting Pardew himself to destroy the club, I couldn't disagree more :lol:

So you didn't think Souness was going to ruin us?

Very good... although undermined by not asking me if I thought everyone backed Souness, instead.

From what I remember, not many people at all backed him when he first took over. Everyone was furious with the appointment.

Aye, was very depressing. If I remember right the old HTT site was taken off the net that day, I thought it had crashed from overuse or HTT himself had deleted the thing out of protest at the time...

I'm not sure what you disagree about then? Either way I'm content with Pardew, see how he does with a full summer and a chance to build his own team.

From what I remember, not many people at all backed him when he first took over. Everyone was furious with the appointment.

was more like WTF for me at that time rather than fury (although i was furious SBR had been bagged and how they did it) - it was so patently obvious why Souness was chosen and while i didn't necessarily agree with it i could understand it

I'm not sure what you disagree about then? Either way I'm content with Pardew, see how he does with a full summer and a chance to build his own team.

Right, you were serious. In that case, everything after the Souness comment. I don't think Pardew has much of a chance to build on things, I am just waiting until he fucks up and/or leaves the club, and I can't really enjoy any of the games in the mean time as a result, similar to when Souness was here.

Right, you were serious. In that case, everything after the Souness comment. I don't think Pardew has much of a chance to build on things, I am just waiting until he fucks up and/or leaves the club, and I can't really enjoy any of the games in the mean time as a result, similar to when Souness was here.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAGcnpPZVpSdB8j__lIZCQGqlnnz4DtdYbS5gvi5GnKsGT9NiQDA

To be honest, even if Carroll's still here, if it's Hughton who is the manager now, we probably would have to battle for relegation. Despite some early positive results, the team under Hughton was unable to perform consistently in every match and always lose some easy points. In that sense the hiring of Pardew is spot on. Probably a bit too early but in the end it is a correct decision.

Souness main fault is his transfer. We aren't THAT bad on the pitch.  We still have some quality players and we are just no longer a top 4 team.  What hurt most is those ridiculous transfer fee and wages paid out that finally force us to hire Sam in order to "restore the team cheaply".

One thing I do wanna say again seeing as I've noticed a few people say Pardew has done well because he's 'coped' with terrible injuries - you've really got to wonder why it is we only started getting them after he arrived. Don't forget the facts, our record had cleared up brilliantly over the prior 18 months, no under-soil heating excuses required. We haven't 'always' had a sicknote squad.

We have had a shockingly small squad this year which I'm sure contributed towards the injury problems.

Without wanting to get into a 'pampered footballers playing 90 minutes a week argument', Hughton had a fresh squad playing in decent weather on good pitches.

Pardew has had one of the harshest winters in recent times with a squad that is playing more minutes per man on average then most squads in the Premier League (I'll admit I don't have the stats to back this up, but the gut feeling is that this is the case). There are some injuries you can't legislate for either when they happen in game (Smith) or a freak fall in training (Williamson).

Not saying that the training methods don't have any blame attached - I suppose you could say at the very least Pardew should/could have altered the approach to training to fit the small squad/bad weather factors

He knew we had a small squad leading up to January so quite how we managed to end up with only Ireland in and Routledge out (barring the big one) is mystifying. /blameAshley

(Kuqi and Ben Arfa don't count. Xisco also doesn't count for some reason)

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think the poll should be reset to see what people think

One game playing only 1 of our best front 6 is not goingvto change that opinion

How did Hughton have a fresh squad over an entire 46 game Championship season? Having said that, his transfers last January were exemplary in the way they covered for injuries, from Williamson and Routledge to temporary cover in Van Aanholt and Hall.

Pardew had the opportunity to buy cover like that this January and decided not to bother, other than someone who was injured of course. :lol:

We had a deal agreed with Seb Larsson, but Brum decided to go back on it. January is a tough time to sign people though.

At least we have played some good football under Pardew, its just getting the consistency. Unlike under Souness when it was other teams shitness, and scraping wins here and there.

Pardew had the opportunity to buy cover like that this January and decided not to bother

don't believe this for second

Depends on just how much of a puppet he is, in fairness, but going on his comments + the prior agreement, we really didn't have to spend £4.5m on Ben Arfa this January - we could've hung on until this Summer (or just ditched him..?), but according to Pardew he personally wanted to push it through. If he'd had enough clout to get that spent well elsewhere, we could've earned nearly the same sum by finishing higher up the table without much trouble...

Pardew had the opportunity to buy cover like that this January and decided not to bother

don't believe this for second

Depends on just how much of a puppet he is, in fairness, but going on his comments + the prior agreement, we really didn't have to spend £4.5m on Ben Arfa this January - we could've hung on until this Summer (or just ditched him..?), but according to Pardew he personally wanted to push it through. If he'd had enough clout to get that spent well elsewhere, we could've earned nearly the same sum by finishing higher up the table without much trouble...

wullie said he had the opportunity to buy cover and opted not to bother, that's very different imo

we'll never know, but i don't believe pardew would sit there with 'x' amount to spend and not spend it if he could have sorted something decent

perhaps the HBA signing was mostly a show of faith to the lad instead of waiting to the summer and him potentially not agreeing the deal - seems to have worked on a number of levels that actually (well if you believe what you read about the way it was received in france), if we do some decent deals from france and this had a bearing then it'll have been well played

there's too much we don't know about the last window imo, it was daft

It's too convenient and ultimately unprovable to say all the rest of season would have gone exactly as it did but we would have picked up points X,Y and Z had we only added player A or B.  Every single game, every pass, every set piece would be changed in ways we can't imagine.  Maybe 4-4 never would have happened with Routledge in the side.  Maybe we would have been relegated.  Maybe 7th.  It's just pointless to speculate and even more pointless (and intellectually bankrupt) to claim to know that it would have affected things in the way that just happens to suit one persons argument.

We had a deal agreed with Seb Larsson, but Brum decided to go back on it. January is a tough time to sign people though.

At least we have played some good football under Pardew, its just getting the consistency. Unlike under Souness when it was other teams shitness, and scraping wins here and there.

Souness was consistant as well. Consistently shit, but consistent.

But one of the things that is bothering me is that now Pardew's been here a while, we've 'coincidentally' developed this habit of throwing away leads and victories, often well into injury time, that we never had under Hughton. A slightly harsh statistic, but the 6 points we've lost to 90+ minute goals alone under him would've had us in a comfortable 8th. One thing that could at least be said for us before he came is that we were solid - we usually kept results, and if anyone scored late it was us. I don't mean to focus on Hughton, but our main failing with him was chasing victories when dead level, lacking the talent to kill it and getting sucker punched. Now, our leads have become unreliable, and I can feel that monkey starting to crawl onto our back all over again.

I wouldn't say three times, spaced out over four months, was a 'habit' like.

Plus there have been plenty where we've played out results effectively (Bolton 10 men and Wigan come to mind) and times where we've scored late to get results (Tiote vs Arsenal, Taylor vs Chelsea).

At the minute, I can't really put much between them. Hughton gave us some spectacular results and a decent start, whilst Pardew made us stronger against the teams we should be beating and given us a decent finish.

And in my honest opinion, if Hughton were still here, I don't think we'd be any worse or better off.

Give or take a point, we'd be in about the same position.

Guest michaelfoster

And in my honest opinion, if Hughton were still here, I don't think we'd be any worse or better off.

Give or take a point, we'd be in about the same position.

I disagree, i think we would be slightly worse off, upto the sacking of Hughton we had not won in 5 games streching over a month and we were never looking like picking up another win. We lost against Blackburn (h), Bolton (a) & West Brom (a) and drew with Fulham (h) & Chelsea (h) and with Liverpool (h) & Man City (a) following which we probably would not of won that would of made it 7 games without a win. Hughton was in my opinion also showing signs of being naive tactically