Alan Pardew

JH

Take away that last point tonight anyway, and I think you've summed up why we got a point tonight instead of lost. Take Cabaye out for Nolan and our midfield would have been well and truly f***ed. He wasn't great but his energy was brilliant.

They had more than enough chances to win tonight, our midfield didn't get us the draw, our defenders did and Nolan would have made no difference to that.  Simpson and Taylor both saved us on the line, without either we would have lost. 

I think it's time to start Marveaux in place of the relatively hum-drum Obertan at Villa. I'd wager though that we'll have to wait until Nottm Forest to see Santon in action. It's sensible to bed new foreigners in slowly, especially with Santon being so young. Raylor was poor tonight but he's been competent in the other three games and I reckon he'll start again on Saturday.

Obertan looks clueless.

How about starting with your best eleven, and making changes when they're obviously needed. That would be some great adapting by Pardew.

In time we'll see Ba, Marveaux and Santon start. For the time being we've gone with tried and tested players and bedding the new players in slowly. It's quite a sensible approach, especially if fitness is an issue and it has clealy been with Ba and Marv.

How are we bedding them in slowly, if they're (Santon) not even playing? He should start today - Raylor proved that. Why in the world Santon didn't even get some minutes with Raylor being so shit, is beyond me. Santon needs to play, he's fit, in good form - no excuses what so ever. The sensible approach is rubbish - loads of managers and players have shown that.

Take away that last point tonight anyway, and I think you've summed up why we got a point tonight instead of lost. Take Cabaye out for Nolan and our midfield would have been well and truly f***ed. He wasn't great but his energy was brilliant.

They had more than enough chances to win tonight, our midfield didn't get us the draw, our defenders did and Nolan would have made no difference to that.  Simpson and Taylor both saved us on the line, without either we would have lost. 

I think if Nolan had been playing they'd have had even more free reign to do what they wanted. And you could argue if Kenny hadn't made a finger tip save we might have nicked it ourselves. Did Krul make a save tonight?

Tonight wasn't the sort of game to play free-flowing football. Aye we were poor, but nowhere near as bad as some people are making out.

I can see us playing much better at Villa on Saturday.

:lol:

Did someone forget to tell QPR?

Completely missed the point there. They're the home team, new owner, newly promoted, new team...

Why should that make us resort to Stoke tactics though? Especially considering a whole none of the signings we brought in this summer are suited to said tactics meaning playing that way could be seen as actively handicapping ourselves.

Pardew himself has said we weren't good tonight. Do you think that's how he set us out to play? Sometimes though you have to adapt and with SWP & Taarabt running us ragged you can't always play the way you want.

He could have fooled me if it wasn't how we were set up to play. Also, their winger and playmaker having good game = we can't try to pass, lets hoof it? That seems to be your point?

I'm saying on a night where their main two threats were better than Jonas & Cabaye, I can't blame us for being more direct.

So we should revert to Stoke whenever someone has a good game against us then?

I think it's time to start Marveaux in place of the relatively hum-drum Obertan at Villa. I'd wager though that we'll have to wait until Nottm Forest to see Santon in action. It's sensible to bed new foreigners in slowly, especially with Santon being so young. Raylor was poor tonight but he's been competent in the other three games and I reckon he'll start again on Saturday.

I'd replace Ryan Taylor with Santon, Shola with Ba and Obertan with Marveaux.

Thankful for the point tonight as we should, by rights, have lost that tonight. They created enough chances to expect to put at least one of them away. Which is the entire point - we're ok when we're keeping it tight and nicking goals to win games but what happens when we concede first? I'd have very little faith in them coming back and  getting a result out of the game because the firepower is simply not there.

We're crossing our fingers and hoping the opposition don't score and we either hold on or nick it. It won't last forever and I don't give a shit about the stats as they aren't a true reflection of how we're playing. We've got out of jail more than once and it'll turn.

Tonight wasn't the sort of game to play free-flowing football. Aye we were poor, but nowhere near as bad as some people are making out.

:lol:

Did someone forget to tell QPR?

Completely missed the point there. They're the home team, new owner, newly promoted, new team...

Why should that make us resort to Stoke tactics though? Especially considering a whole none of the signings we brought in this summer are suited to said tactics meaning playing that way could be seen as actively handicapping ourselves.

Pardew himself has said we weren't good tonight. Do you think that's how he set us out to play? Sometimes though you have to adapt and with SWP & Taarabt running us ragged you can't always play the way you want.

He could have fooled me if it wasn't how we were set up to play. Also, their winger and playmaker having good game = we can't try to pass, lets hoof it? That seems to be your point?

I'm saying on a night where their main two threats were better than Jonas & Cabaye, I can't blame us for being more direct.

So we should revert to Stoke whenever someone has a good game against us then?

When key players like Jonas & Tiote are playing poorly, two key factors to what would be our best style of play, what would you suggest?

Every game should be the sort of game to play free flowing football with the kind of players we have.

Pretty sure Nut told me we'd be playing free-flowing football almost by default without Nolan in the side. Wonder what happened there.

I doubt we'd have had a point tonight if Nolan was in that midfield that's for sure.

Or we might have managed to look like scoring.

Chucking a 20 year old Italian in, when he can't speak English and barely knows his team mates is a sure fire way to ruin him. Just be patient, he'll play in time and he'll be better off for being blooded slowly. I'm fairly sure we did the same with Enrique, he didn't start the first 5 or 6 games despite being signed prior to the first game of 07/08.

We could have tried to stop them from getting so much of the ball and we had 2 passengers for most of the game which is always a bit of a handicap.

Pardew: 'We're happy with the point - we didn't deserve more. Defence were superb but being NUFC, we have to be better in the final third.'

Fair comment. Also said we won't be bringing any free agents in as cover, somewhat unsurprisingly.

I'd replace Ryan Taylor with Santon, Shola with Ba and Obertan with Marveaux.

:thup:

How about starting with your best eleven, and making changes when they're obviously needed. That would be some great adapting by Pardew.

In time we'll see Ba, Marveaux and Santon start. For the time being we've gone with tried and tested players and bedding the new players in slowly. It's quite a sensible approach, especially if fitness is an issue and it has clealy been with Ba and Marv.

How are we bedding them in slowly, if they're (Santon) not even playing? He should start today - Raylor proved that. Why in the world Santon didn't even get some minutes with Raylor being so s***, is beyond me. Santon needs to play, he's fit, in good form - no excuses what so ever. The sensible approach is rubbish - loads of managers and players have shown that.

You are aware that Santon has been at the club for a week?  You are aware that our players train together in order to bed in?  Perhaps - just perhaps - Pardew thinks it makes more sense to give Santon a week extra of getting to know the players, training with them etc before throwing him in?

Every game should be the sort of game to play free flowing football with the kind of players we have.

Pretty sure Nut told me we'd be playing free-flowing football almost by default without Nolan in the side. Wonder what happened there.

I doubt we'd have had a point tonight if Nolan was in that midfield that's for sure.

Or we might have managed to look like scoring.

Yeah, after conceding five. Imagine Nolan alongside Tiote in his current form. Ha!!!

How are we bedding them in slowly, if they're (Santon) not even playing? He should start today - Raylor proved that. Why in the world Santon didn't even get some minutes with Raylor being so s***, is beyond me. Santon needs to play, he's fit, in good form - no excuses what so ever. The sensible approach is rubbish - loads of managers and players have shown that.

You are aware that Santon has been at the club for a week?  You are aware that our players train together in order to bed in?  Perhaps - just perhaps - Pardew thinks it makes more sense to give Santon a week extra of getting to know the players, training with them etc before throwing him in?

So fucking what. Raylor doesn't bed in what so ever. He is just rubbish. When you have such a talented natural left back on hand, no matter how fucking long you've had him, you have to play him. We had nothing to lose.