Alan Pardew

JH

That night in Alkmaar is probably the lowest point since I 'properly' started following NUFC. It ranks alongside going down. The manner in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory was staggering; Dyer's fucking shit miss when he rounded the keeper, Bramble's piss-poor marking on the second goal, Scotty Parker's goal ruled out in the dying minutes for fuck all, Carr ducking out at the last minute and essentially forcing us to hang Huntington out to dry at left-back, Roeder's baffling substitutions, just argh. The whole thing is vivid still, to me.

I even remember just having a terrible feeling at the stage of that well harsh penalty awarded against S.Taylor in the home leg when someone stotted it off him from point-blank range - Given saved, Bramble made a mint tackle, and the cunts still netted.

Roeder was absolutely finished from the moment he declared "we'll settle for 0-0" in Alkmaar, especially with their home record. I could go on for fucking hours about this shit. :lol:

I always thought that Lisbon away was much worse, as I genuinely thought that we stood a chance that year.

Me too, it was a round further too.

Alkmaar just edges it for me because of Parker's goal, was absolutely fuck all wrong with, was absolutely livid and gutted at the same time.

That night in Alkmaar is probably the lowest point since I 'properly' started following NUFC. It ranks alongside going down. The manner in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory was staggering; Dyer's f***ing s*** miss when he rounded the keeper, Bramble's p*ss-poor marking on the second goal, Scotty Parker's goal ruled out in the dying minutes for f*** all, Carr ducking out at the last minute and essentially forcing us to hang Huntington out to dry at left-back, Roeder's baffling substitutions, just argh. The whole thing is vivid still, to me.

I even remember just having a terrible feeling at the stage of that well harsh penalty awarded against S.Taylor in the home leg when someone stotted it off him from point-blank range - Given saved, Bramble made a mint tackle, and the c***s still netted.

Roeder was absolutely finished from the moment he declared "we'll settle for 0-0" in Alkmaar, especially with their home record. I could go on for f***ing hours about this s***. :lol:

I always thought that Lisbon away was much worse, as I genuinely thought that we stood a chance that year.

Partizan at home in 2003 was the worst.

That was easily the worst night for me. I was living in France at the time, was following the game on the internet cafe within the accommodation and we were 1-0 up and left feeling chuffed.

Rang my dad about an hour later to see how it finished and it was the first time in my life I'd heard him in tears. :lol: Awful feeling, compounded when you see the clubs that reached the Semi Finals.

Alkmaar was fucking rubbish, largely due to the inevitability of it. The first half of the tie, at SJP, was absolutely brilliant - Oba and Solano absolutely pissing it. Then followed; harsh penalty > penalty save but still scored > Martins fluffs one-on-one > full-time > Roeder says we'll play for a point > Paul Huntington. From three goals up and coasting, it was still never gonna happen. Definitely stung though, rotten night.

Lisbon was the pits though. Lowest i've ever been. I know i say it every time it gets brought up, but it was on my 15th birthday n'all... went out for a pizza with the folks safe in the knowledge we were 1-0 up. :lol: :( I take solace from the fact that CSKA probably would've done us. It was Souness after all.

Right. Counted up and double checked, average points per game - Premier League games only:

Kevin Keegan 1.74    (78 PL games)

1.95 from 59  +  1.11 from 19

Bobby Robson 1.60    (188 PL games)

Glenn Roeder 1.42    (52 PL games)

Kenny Dalglish  1.36    (56 PL games)

Alan Pardew 1.35    (26 PL games) 

Graeme Souness 1.19    (57 PL games)

Chris Hughton 1.19    (16 PL games in 2010)

Ruud Gullit 1.10    (41 PL games)

Sam Allardyce 1.06    (17 PL games)

Joe Kinnear 1.05    (19 PL games)

Interesting stats, probably about where I would put him in the pecking order too, although Dalglish did have the massive advantage of starting out with Keegan's team, before he got around to systematically dismantling it.

One of my biggest regrets as a toon supporter is that we didn't get SBR in straight after KK - everything would have been so very different.

Kinda glad we didn't, tbh. I'd say whoever was tasked with following Keegan was doomed to (varying degrees of) failure. We got Bobby at just the right time, imo.

Those lists are always a bit daft imo, as context has a role to play. The amount of games vary so much that only half the list, you can say, "yeah - he should be there". That's if you're thinking of it as a 'table'.

Based solely on performance and tactics Wigan away on Boxing Day under Fat Sam is the worst I have ever witnessed.  Lost 1-0 to yet another Raylor free kick, no shots on target, I think about 2 off target and 1 maybe 2 corners.  Viduka up front on his own, Smith and Geremi in the middle, bypassed the midfield for 90 minutes, it was just awful.

Oh and I met Mike Ashley and the rumour got round about Barton being locked up, just a dreadful day, and I fucking drove  :mike:

Like someone else said, QPR was bad, but you would think we are used to winning games comfortably away from home.  I'm 22 and in my lifetime we've been utter shite on the road.

Guest VaVaVoom

No i havnt donated but i intend to. Bit tight atm.

Didnt do a runner neither, i just dont see the point in hangin around TT when its full of childesh morons baying for my blood.

I'll dontate when i can. NOT just because TT rentamongs demand it.

Didnt do a runner neither, i just dont see the point in hangin around TT when its full of childesh morons baying for my blood.

The rentamongs will be on your case here also, especially as Dave was crass enough to bring it to everyones attention.

Fair enough. :thup: Not sure why this is being discussed in an Alan Pardew thread though.

The defeat under Hughton to WBA definitely deserves a mention.

Thanks to HTT we're bringing back some lovely memories here. :lol:

Can't wait for Saturday now, just to see whether he takes it on the chin and makes some changes, or somehow proves QPR was just an off day. Really don't want to see us getting our first hiding of the season against Villa. :hmm:

Guest TheSummerOf69

There we go. Full stats from our first season in the Premier League in 1993 onwards...

Average points per game - Premier League games only:

Kevin Keegan          1.76    (162 PL games)

1.85 from 143  +  1.11 from 19

Bobby Robson        1.60    (188 PL games)

Glenn Roeder          1.42    (52 PL games)

Kenny Dalglish        1.36    (56 PL games)

Alan Pardew         1.35    (26 PL games)   

Graeme Souness    1.19    (57 PL games)

Chris Hughton        1.19    (16 PL games in 2010)

Ruud Gullit              1.10    (41 PL games)

Sam Allardyce          1.06    (17 PL games)

Joe Kinnear            1.05    (19 PL games)

As people have pointed out, Dalglish started with a wonderful team inherited from KK and Souness spent 50m, so they should both be doing a hell of a lot better than Hughton and Pardew operating on a shoestring.

There we go. Full stats from our first season in the Premier League in 1993...

Kevin Keegan      1.760    (162 PL games)

1.846 from 143  +  1.105 from 19

Bobby Robson 1.596    (188 PL games)

Glenn Roeder 1.423    (52 PL games)

Kenny Dalglish  1.357    (56 PL games)

Alan Pardew 1.346    (26 PL games)    8  11  7  incl 11.09.12

Graeme Souness 1.193    (57 PL games)

Chris Hughton 1.188    (16 PL games in 2010)

Ruud Gullit 1.098    (41 PL games)

Sam Allardyce 1.058    (17 PL games)

Joe Kinnear 1.053    (19 PL games)

As people have pointed out, Dalglish started with a wonderful team inherited from KK and Souness spent 50m, so they should both be doing a hell of a lot better than Hughton and Pardew operating on a shoestring.

Im just slightly stunned by Roeder in these stats. As soon as he was appointed it was painful as hell seeing him as our manager, but fair play to him for getting the points in I guess.