Alan Pardew

JH

I don't think our style has changed that much to be honest.  I would say it's due to better formation instead.  Pardew is still playing the very direct approach, but instead of hoofing the ball, we can now counter the opponents in a much quicker way since we have HBA on the right and Cabaye as the controller upfront.  We still cannot keep our possession well when we are under pressure.

No intention to lit up the argument again, since in my opinion both sides got some right and some wrong there.  I can understand why sick2 makes those comments though since some of the posters here are really very impatient at that time, criticize Pardew heavily despite we are already 6th in the table after a more than decent first half run.  As I have said before, we should have more faith on our gaffer.

However, this time it's me who are raising concern now, ironically.  This 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3) is the key of our success for the last 2 matches, but it requires both our RW (HBA) and LW (Ba) to works their socks off, defending very deep to protect our full backs and run at full pace during counter.  That is f***ing demanding.  Ba looks knackered already at 60 mins and I am very very surprised that HBA is able to play the full match.  I ain't sure what will happen on Monday, and any injuries or exhaustion to Ba or HBA will make this formation much less effective.  We badly need backups for them now but both Marveaux and Obertan are injured.  We do need some luck.

I'm interested to know if young Gabriel Obertan has an injury, or if Pardew has frozen him out due to his non-performances.

Said he was injured on his  post match NUFC TV interview. Said he was doubtful for Monday, but intimated that he would be ok for Stoke.

I'm interested to know if young Gabriel Obertan has an injury, or if Pardew has frozen him out due to his non-performances.

Yeah, it's all gone quiet on Obertan, can't say I'm in the least bothered. When Marveaux makes his recovery I think Pardew will be hard pressed to play Obertan, especially with Ferguson becoming a more viable winger alternative than Obertan

This change to a front three due to injury is very similar to when Milner & N'Zogbia's injuries lead to the 4-3-3 under Keegan, only this is somehow even better.

He wanted to play it from the start of the season, but we didn't get the players and Ben Arfa wasn't ready. Remember he wanted Matudi to go in with Tiote and Cabaye, and Maiga to fill the role on the left.

This change to a front three due to injury is very similar to when Milner & N'Zogbia's injuries lead to the 4-3-3 under Keegan, only this is somehow even better.

N'Zogbia was fit when we started with the 4-3-3- under Keegan.  :coolsmiley:

Yeah, it's all gone quiet on Obertan, can't say I'm in the least bothered. When Marveaux makes his recovery I think Pardew will be hard pressed to play Obertan, especially with Ferguson becoming a more viable winger alternative than Obertan

Oh, I'm not bothered/concerned by Obertan's absence - don't get me wrong. It's just interesting to see how Pardew is handling it, I suppose.

IIRC Obertan first left the first-team picture due to injury, but Pardew tried to re-integrate him thereafter. I think then Pardew left him out for poor performances, and since then we've heard of niggling injuries here and there, but I'm not sure.

My hope is that, behind closed doors, Pardew has been very stern with him and told him to stop being a passenger on the pitch and to develop some confidence if he wants to be a part-of first team football - which is the official reason Gabriel gave for why he came here. To get minutes. You'd think it'd be sufficient motivation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, I'm not bothered/concerned by Obertan's absence - don't get me wrong. It's just interesting to see how Pardew is handling it, I suppose.

IIRC Obertan first left the first-team picture due to injury, but Pardew tried to re-integrate him thereafter. I think then Pardew left him out for poor performances, and since then we've heard of niggling injuries here and there, but I'm not sure.

My hope is that, behind closed doors, Pardew has been very stern with him and told him to stop being a passenger on the pitch and to develop some confidence if he wants to be a part-of first team football - which is the official reason Gabriel gave for why he came here. To get minutes. You'd think it'd be sufficient motivation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im sure Ryder tweeted something yesterday about being back for Stoke? Unless I dreamed it.

Guest ToonZA

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im sure Ryder tweeted something yesterday about being back for Stoke? Unless I dreamed it.

Sounds more like a nightmare mate :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to develop confidence when your own fans groan if you don't cross the ball first time, berate you every time you lose the ball and cheer when you leave the field.

Still, the fans were right about Perch (and numerous others in the past....), so maybe they should carry on like this.  :tard:

Really think this formation can be a blessing for Obertan, really think he can be an asset on the left hand side cutting inwards and mixing it up with HBA and Cabaye. He allways saw for that opportunity to go inside earlier in the season. Aswell as he got somekind of footballing brain and he seems to be clever with some of the things he does. He just seems scared to fail miserably. Remember, this transfer pretty much was tail between legs for him, and if he can't succeed to atleast be a part of the first team squad here he has failed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to develop confidence when your own fans groan if you don't cross the ball first time, berate you every time you lose the ball and cheer when you leave the field.

Still, the fans were right about Perch (and numerous others in the past....), so maybe they should carry on like this.  :tard:

:thup:

In fairness, it was difficult for the fans to get behind Perch when for the start of his career, all he did was mistime challenges and pick up cards. Hardly surprising that most didn't think he'd make it, full credit to the lad for upping his game. He's been one of our top 3 performers in the last four-five games.

As for Obertan, I'd never boo him at a game or applaud him coming off but the reality is, he's shown very, very little to suggest he can come good here. He'd require a Perch transformation and I'd say that's very unlikely, especially if we continue to do good business and marginalise him further

It kind of defeats the object of being a supporter when you only cheer players who are doing well though doesn't it?  And its not even about Obertan coming good, its about giving him the chance to do so.

I understand people getting frustrated at games, happens to all of us, but if you can't refrain from cheering one of our own players from being subbed then you may as well fuck off now.

In fairness, it was difficult for the fans to get behind Perch when for the start of his career, all he did was mistime challenges and pick up cards. Hardly surprising that most didn't think he'd make it, full credit to the lad for upping his game. He's been one of our top 3 performers in the last four-five games.

As for Obertan, I'd never boo him at a game or applaud him coming off but the reality is, he's shown very, very little to suggest he can come good here. He'd require a Perch transformation and I'd say that's very unlikely, especially if we continue to do good business and marginalise him further

I would say Perch along with Guthrie and Raylor make it more likely Obertan can go on to be a good player for us.

Pardew has got a lot out of players deemed not good enough, including Best. Saylor was brilliant before his injury too.

It's far, far too early to write off Obertan (or Gosling for that matter). Both are still young and finding their feet. It's the first season at a new club for Obertan and Gosling has started about 6 games in 2 years.

I'd be more sympathetic to Obertan if I saw more effort tbh. Perch never lacked effort. That's not to say I don't think he'll come good eventually, or that he deserves to be heckled and beeeeeeeeeewed... but it helps when you demonstrate the right attitude through rough patches. It counts for a lot.

I agree the lack of effort should be criticised but I wouldn't say Obertan has been strolling around with his hands on his hips.  He's bottled out of a few challenges but you can't really expect him to do what Perch does either can you?  Two completely different styles of players.

I would say Perch along with Guthrie and Raylor make it more likely Obertan can go on to be a good player for us.

Pardew has got a lot out of players deemed not good enough, including Best. Saylor was brilliant before his injury too.

It's far, far too early to write off Obertan (or Gosling for that matter). Both are still young and finding their feet. It's the first season at a new club for Obertan and Gosling has started about 6 games in 2 years.

You're completely right about players coming good after poor starts. I always rated Best and Saylor to put in good performances but I did not think Perch or Guthrie would improve to the levels they have. As for Gosling, I definitely think he'll come good. My problem with Obertan is that he makes the wrong decision far too often and it's not that he's technically flawed, not at all, it's that mentally he isn't there on a confidence level or a football-understanding level.

I hope he comes through and improves but if I had the choice I'd put other players ahead of him like Ferguson who I think will improve much quicker. If we get into Europe, I really hope Obertan gets games and manages to develop

You're completely right about players coming good after poor starts. I always rated Best and Saylor to put in good performances but I did not think Perch or Guthrie would improve to the levels they have. As for Gosling, I definitely think he'll come good. My problem with Obertan is that he makes the wrong decision far too often and it's not that he's technically flawed, not at all, it's that mentally he isn't there on a confidence level or a football-understanding level.

I hope he comes through and improves but if I had the choice I'd put other players ahead of him like Ferguson who I think will improve much quicker. If we get into Europe, I really hope Obertan gets games and manages to develop

:thup: