Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Guest Milburnthedog

Just before the Halls came in we had the McKeag Dynasty. I remember a Saturday game we lost at home 0-3 (West Brom I think) and when the 3rd goal went in the whole of the Old Stand stood and gave the Directors sitting there almighty stick. People were trying to climb over the 3ft 'fence' and in to the box and things were being thrown up from the Paddocks below.

Previous to that the 1977 mob got stick over the appointment of Gordon Lee then Richard Dinnis as we went down in pitiful style. With standing areas it was far more aggressive (unlike the seats we have now and CCTV everywhere) so when it 'kicked off' it was pretty ugly. You have to remember back then the real working class type would be the regulars unlike now having to pay £600 for a season ticket of £20-42 match to match. The Leazes and Gallowgate were full of real radgies.

But having said all that, the apathy that MA and his cronies have created is far worse that the anger I felt for Westwood etc back then. Seeing Newcastle fans who feel it's not really our Club anymore and we don't even rate high enough to matter, be heard or have any kind of say is the most painful thing. Only a huge boycott of match days, sponsorship and the buying of goods (tops, leisure wear and matchday food, programmes etc) would hit them hard enough to make a difference. Withoutr the support  / interest the Sky matches would fall away and MA would receive less income, only then would we be likely to get new owners as the worth of NUFC falls. I can't see it though.

I think the difference between the Westwood/Seymour/McKeag era and Mike Ashley, is that that old board clearly didn't have the ability both financially and from an intelligence point of view to run a top flight club. Mike Ashley however does, he's got the business clout and knowledge, he got the ability through his finances to surround himself with poeple who know the game.

The thing is he refuses to act in a sensible manner, he's a smart guy, you don't become a self made billionaire by being stupid, perhaps though that's the problem with him, he puts to much faith in himself, and continues to surround himself with his mates rather than people who can actually get the job done.

I'm still completely confused as to whathis goal is, in owning Newcastle United. Does he want to run a successful football club that will challenge for hounors ? Does he want to build the club into a valuable asset that he can sell at a good profit ? Does he want to prove to the world that you can make money out of football, by surviving in the top flight at minimal cost ? Or does he just see the club as his little play thing and really has no interest in either it's success or failure ?

He's certainly not showing any signs of the first 2 motives.

Westwood / Seymour / Mckeag were hated back in the day......

I would agree with that, Westwood with that patch always got it in the neck, Mckeag always looked after himself and would never spend nowt. Seymour never went to his sports shop

In my lifetime I'd say it's a very close call between Ashley and Souness. I suppose it could be said however that at least Souness, though incapable of doing so, tried to take the club forward whereas Ashley's decision making has been some of the most idiotic we've ever seen, virtually to the point where you ask yourself if he's intentionally sabotaging the club.

In my lifetime I'd say it's a very close call between Ashley and Souness. I suppose it could be said however that at least Souness, though incapable of doing so, tried to take the club forward whereas Ashley's decision making has been some of the most idiotic we've ever seen, virtually to the point where you ask yourself if he's intentionally sabotaging the club.

Ashley makes Souness look like a saint to be honest.

Easily the worst thing to happen to the club in my lifetime, everything he does is just completely void of logic and intelligence.