Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

But we're not making a profit you f***ing idiots.

Yes we are, we may have made past losses but  that doesn't change the fact that this year our balance sheet will show a profit, last season will probably show as break even. We still have a debt yes but this was a debt that can easily be paid back a little at a time without cocking up the whole squad.

If the person that lent us the money wants it back, that's fine. He's entitled to it.

A profitable company doesn't just show 1 year of profits, it shows many years. Before you argue 'we're not a company', well I hate to tell you, but we are.

That was never going to be my argument lol you really just don't get it do you. I do not care about the funds of the club I care about the club moving up the league and trying to win stuff. If we make a huge profit one year, use some of the money to pay off some of the debt and use more of it to add to the signings we have already made. Is it really that difficult ?

Yeah, because the owner doesn't feel that way and he's entitled not to. He doesn't support the club or have any ties to it, as long as the company is performing how the board want it to, that's their only objective.

And that's why he's one of the worst people to ever be associated with NUFC.

Yes we are, we may have made past losses but  that doesn't change the fact that this year our balance sheet will show a profit, last season will probably show as break even. We still have a debt yes but this was a debt that can easily be paid back a little at a time without cocking up the whole squad.

If the person that lent us the money wants it back, that's fine. He's entitled to it.

A profitable company doesn't just show 1 year of profits, it shows many years. Before you argue 'we're not a company', well I hate to tell you, but we are.

That was never going to be my argument lol you really just don't get it do you. I do not care about the funds of the club I care about the club moving up the league and trying to win stuff. If we make a huge profit one year, use some of the money to pay off some of the debt and use more of it to add to the signings we have already made. Is it really that difficult ?

Yeah, because the owner doesn't feel that way and he's entitled not to. He doesn't support the club or have any ties to it, as long as the company is performing how the board want it to, that's their only objective.

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAH!  :troll:

FS almost bankrupted the club..Thank god MA didn't check the books proparly before he bought it. If he did, he would never have touchd us.  This is an interesting article about NUFC finances from an esteemed blogger:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/12/newcastle-uniteds-finances-in-black-and.html

I've read it before, the club were in a bad way but could have turned it round by reducing purchases and getting rid of a few players like we had in the past. We broke the bank to get Owen and that was a mistake. That doesn't excuse from the mistakes and f*** ups that Ashley has made and how he has made the problems more difficult by how he has run the club.

I cant beileve we are back to freddy shepherd now, hes been gone 4 years  :lol:

Freddy wasn't about when the club was relegated.  :lol:

Unfortunately he hawked off a lot of the club's longer term revenue streams to finance his marquee signings such as Luque,Boumsong and Owen.

Just the type of signings that would have had us salivating last night I'm sure.

Due to that financial insanity the club is still not making any money from said sources, so sadly 4 years down the road the effect of Freddie's live today pay later policy is still evident.

So yes he is still a significant factor in what's going on.

FS almost bankrupted the club..Thank god MA didn't check the books proparly before he bought it. If he did, he would never have touchd us.  This is an interesting article about NUFC finances from an esteemed blogger:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/12/newcastle-uniteds-finances-in-black-and.html

I've read it before, the club were in a bad way but could have turned it round by reducing purchases and getting rid of a few players like we had in the past. We broke the bank to get Owen and that was a mistake. That doesn't excuse from the mistakes and f*** ups that Ashley has made and how he has made the problems more difficult by how he has run the club.

Unfortunately he hawked off a lot of the club's longer term revenue streams to finance his marquee signings such as Luque,Boumsong and Owen.

Just the type of signings that would have had us salivating last night I'm sure.

Due to that financial insanity the club is still not making any money from said sources, so sadly 4 years down the road the effect of Freddie's live today pay later policy is still evident.

Don't believe that at all, the accounts last time showed that with the sales we have made and the wages that have been reduced we should easily be making a profit.

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAH!  :troll:

I have been :troll: ing, but what I said there was deadly serious?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've read it before, the club were in a bad way but could have turned it round by reducing purchases and getting rid of a few players like we had in the past. We broke the bank to get Owen and that was a mistake. That doesn't excuse from the mistakes and fuck ups that Ashley has made and how he has made the problems more difficult by how he has run the club.

How's that different to what the club are doing now?

Don't believe that at all, the accounts last time showed that with the sales we have made and the wages that have been reduced we should easily be making a profit.

Also should have got more sponsorship money, since the Northern Rock sponsorship has been renewed since Shepherd spent all of the last lot.

Two different arguments.

I was replying to a point made about our why our former fuhrer should be mentioned in reference to what is going on with the business today.

FS almost bankrupted the club..Thank god MA didn't check the books proparly before he bought it. If he did, he would never have touchd us.  This is an interesting article about NUFC finances from an esteemed blogger:

On that we agree..MA did some bad decisions himself. But everything was already set in motion by FS.

Answer me this, are we in a position knowing what we saw in the books for relegation and the changes that have occurred, to pay off some of the debts last year and this year and still have more money than we have spent on transfers this window. The answer you and I both know is yes and unless we suddenly buy some high paid, costly players in the January window will be yes again for the next year. So why didn't he. If he had I would have had no complaints but instead we are stuck with a squad that isn't big enough still worrying about relegation with a paper profit.

True..But we all know that money is available for a transfer..We had TWO £10 mill bids accepted. Sadly, both players decided not to join us.  The problem is that we're so starved for success that we demand that the club display some sign of "ambition." But sometimes there's no connection between money used and ambition or success.  I don't want the club to use money just for the sake of it.  The supporters of stoke are quite happy with using £10 mill on Crouch, but I'm not. He doesn't represent what this club now stands for. Too many times we've bought players without performing due dilligence.  I want hungry, young and good lads to play for us, like Cabaye,  HBA and Santon.. All three chose us, despite better offers from other clubs. If we have to wait until Christmas to get the correct player in, so be it. That Erdnic and Gameiro didn't want to come to England, is hardly our fault. If they donn't want to paly for us, fuck them! And we should neither pay them stupid money either, hoping that will change their minds. We all saw how that went (Owen, Luqe etc)

I don't really care about Shepherd any more. I couldn't stand the fat oaf and no doubt he had us spiralling downwards. But Ashley needs to be judged on his own merits and he's falling on his fat arse big time right now.

I don't really care about Shepherd any more. I couldn't stand the fat oaf and no doubt he had us spiralling downwards. But Ashley needs to be judged on his own merits and he's falling on his fat arse big time right now.

Nah he is just unlucky. Give him more time, only made a couple of mistakes.

Just to be clear. I hate Mike Ashley. I fucking despise him. And as my signature states, I'd gladly welcome a man-city-type-of-owner to Newcastle. Opposed to some here, I'm only concern about the quality of the squad, the depth and most importantly I want us to be entertaining and compete with the 'big guns'. I don't care about the balanced book and the accounts, there's only a few clubs in the EPR who are concerned about that. Why? Because they are either stupid, or they have richer and more ambitious guys backing them up.

Last night I went to bed around 09.30 PM (that would be 08.30 PM in the UK), and I'm fucking glad I did. Ashley is not concerned about the things I am expecting, as a supporter. That is why I knew we weren't getting anyone in. Ashley has proven that he can get in the players he wants to, at his 'acceptable' price, and that's that. So I'm really not bother with the wheeling and dealing, Ashley does what he wants to, I've settle with that.

I'm content with those that have been brought in, but I'm far from happy. We have been lucky with our results so far this season. In fact, we play so boring that I'm able to read books at the same time as I'm watching our games (and yes I do that). We are lucky if we survive this season, because, given a  couple of key-player-injuries we have no quality replacements on the bench. In our ST positions no-one is a typical 10-15-20 goals a seasons guarantor.

I think, what we are witnessing here, is just a process were Ashley is trying to make NUFC more attractive to potential buyers. Heck, even the Man City owners (located in God-knows-where part of the world) show more commitment to the club and its surroundings than Ashley. Why? Well, I'd say Mooooneeeeey.

If you look at the quality of the players we now got, I don't think MA is falling on his fat arse yet. HBA, Mav, Sammy, Sparky, Vukic, Ferguson, Colo, Santon, HBA, Cabaye, Taylor, Obertan and Krul. Except colo, all are young players with great potential..

The futre is bright, the future is black and white  :smitten:

I'm content with those that have been brought in, but I'm far from happy. We have been lucky with our results so far this season. In fact, we play so boring that I'm able to read books at the same time as I'm watching our games (and yes I do that). We are lucky if we survive this season, because, given a  couple of key-player-injuries we have no quality replacements on the bench. In our ST positions no-one is a typical 10-15-20 goals a seasons guarantor.

I think, what we are witnessing here, is just a process were Ashley is trying to make NUFC more attractive to potential buyers. Heck, even the Man City owners (located in God-knows-where part of the world) show more commitment to the club and its surroundings than Ashley. Why? Well, I'd say Mooooneeeeey.

This. I'm convinced this is just a process. Unfortunately I don't think he'll be content with the shape of the club until 2015/2016. That's his plan. He's surely invested in the facilities, we have lots of players with sell-on-value - and the wage bill is getting smaller all the time. These things are of huge importance to potential buyers. If the club is debt free at that - it's a very attractive club to buy.

If you look at the quality of the players we now got, I don't think MA is falling on his fat arse yet. HBA, Mav, Sammy, Sparky, Vukic, Ferguson, Colo, Santon, HBA, Cabaye, Taylor, Obertan and Krul. Except colo, all are young players with great potential..

The futre is bright, the future is black and white  :smitten:

Let's hope that Sammy and Vukic are up to being thrust into the arena. Until HBA is fit and able to turn out consistently they are the best options for plugging the striker gap which has been left gaping in the first 11.

My worry is that we're stuck with him for a while. If he keeps us in the league with minimal expenditure he can claw back what money he lost and then start making some money while the whole time using NUFC/St James Park as a marketing tool for his awful Sports Direct carry on. It's pretty clear he has absolutely zero intention of placating the fans with squad progression or signings and I'm just worried that he sees NUFC/St James as a good marketing tool/money making scheme in the years to come.

Sorry to be negative................I might add I don't expect popcorn signings and trillions spent on players, I'm a realist but I would like to see the fans treated with the respect they deserve and that'll never under Ashley/Llambias.

My worry is that we're stuck with him for a while. If he keeps us in the league with minimal expenditure he can claw back what money he lost and then start making some money while the whole time using NUFC/St James Park as a marketing tool for his awful Sports Direct carry on. It's pretty clear he has absolutely zero intention of placating the fans with squad progression or signings and I'm just worried that he sees NUFC/St James as a good marketing tool/money making scheme in the years to come.

Sorry to be negative................I might add I don't expect popcorn signings and trillions spent on players, I'm a realist but I would like to see the fans treated with the respect they deserve and that'll never under Ashley/Llambias.

Spot on. I think, to further your point, we all appreciate the need for stability and understand that the debt we'd accrued under the previous regime needed to be remedied, and our transfer policy was potentially fatally flawed. But, it being a football club, we'd like this to be done whilst still showing at least a pretence of ambition, or with a genuine (if restrained and sensible) attempt to make us as competitive as possible within sound financial parameters. There's a difference between that and exploiting OUR club as his latest cash cow, and that's what makes him insufferable.

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

It's too broad a question though, who knows? I'm not aware of anyone who hasn't criticised a lot of what Ashley has done.

You could equally put it the other way round - what would Ashley have to do to make you think he was doing some things right? Buy one of the most exciting attacking midfielders in Europe? Sign a French league winner and one of the best defensive midfielders in the league? Get a promising young Italian international fullback from Inter Milan? Bounce back from a relegation, finish the season well and start the following season with some good results? Put our finances on a sounder footing?

But I wouldn't ask it like that because I know it's not black and white. I'm not trying to speak up on Ashley's behalf, I'm trying to highlight that the situation at the club isn't as dire as some people think, and everything we do isn't bad or part of some evil plan to punish Geordies.

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

It's too broad a question though, who knows? I'm not aware of anyone who hasn't criticised a lot of what Ashley has done.

You could equally put it the other way round - what would Ashley have to do to make you think he was doing some things right? Buy one of the most exciting attacking midfielders in Europe? Sign a French league winner and one of the best defensive midfielders in the league? Get a promising young Italian international fullback from Inter Milan? Bounce back from a relegation, finish the season well and start the following season with some good results? Put our finances on a sounder footing?

But I wouldn't ask it like that because I know it's not black and white. I'm not trying to speak up on Ashley's behalf, I'm trying to highlight that the situation at the club isn't as dire as some people think, and everything we do isn't bad or part of some evil plan to punish Geordies.

Get a striker in as well, that'd at least shows he cares and does have a plan. We've had a decent window but we're relying on Shola,Lovercrap, Ba & Best. I like Best, I think he's seriously underrated by some on here, who knows with Ba atm. Shola is just Shola & Lovercrap shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

If people think he's on a plan to ruin us, they're probably not worth debating with. For me, to show he was doing something right, we could show some modicum of ambition to get us on a slow and steady path of progress and development from lower mid table to mid, then upper mid, then towards 7th/8th and then challenging for Europa League, within 5 years, whilst maintaining a sensible and sound financial strategy and rightly limiting wages and transfer fees. I am all for balancing the books and sorting out our debt situation, but a football club isn't a normal business, so if he could do the above while actually genuinely trying to improve the squad that would be enough for me. Furthermore, showing ambition and getting us somewhere in the long run would actually improve his product - attract more fans, attract less criticism from professionals and fans alike, make more players inclined to play for us (i reckon some who turn us down do so as they don't want to play for those two, which I also believe is why we make no effort to recruit from England as foreigners likely haven't seen evidence of their untrustworthy behaviour) and make us win more, which ultimately brings in more money, via, for instance, gate receipts and more television coverage.

You folk who feel they've been unfairly labelled as Ashley apologists - just as a benchmark, what could Mike do which would make you say "OK, that's completely unforgivable" and join the 'mob'?  Sell Tiote and colo without replacing them?  Sell off SJP?  Change the name of the Milburn stand?  Get us relegated again?  Or is there literally nothing he could do where you wouldn't feel the need to speak up on his behalf when people slag him off?

Get a striker in as well, that'd at least shows he cares and does have a plan. We've had a decent window but we're relying on Shola,Lovercrap, Ba & Best. I like Best, I think he's seriously underrated by some on here, who knows with Ba atm. Shola is just Shola & Lovercrap shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I agree we should have got another striker, and that's a failure. As you said though, we've had a decent window.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

I agree we should have got another striker, and that's a failure. As you said though, we've had a decent window.

Personally i would have been worried who we would have sold in order to sign a striker so perhaps we're better off as it is.

Personally i would have been worried who we would have sold in order to sign a striker so perhaps we're better off as it is.

Whu?  we sold carroll for 35 million this jan, we were then told ALL the money would be reinvested into the squad.  Not my words, pardews, ashleys and llambias words.

We started last season short of a striker, we were told that carroll will get the number 9 shirt, we were all a bit worried but it turned out ok, it turned out so ok we fucking flogged him and were told they would purchase a striker in the sumer.

We signed Ba on a free.  End. 

FFS

Guest sicko2ndbest

How much is the stadium advertising worth to him

Anyone got any informed idea

This could be a massive issue with him selling the club. With the tv coverage SJP gets every other week on prime time tv what would this cost Ashley should he have to buy the timeslot

I'm no expert on advertising but I reckon branding the stadium saves him at least 5 million a year in tv advertisement

He won't give that up cheaply