Newcastle United 3 - 1 Liverpool - 11/12/10 - post match reaction from page 29

Dave

A welcome result against a Liverpool side who are a pale imitation of past years - worse than the side we beat 3-0 and 2-0 in 93/94 in first PL season.

This match was the one, for me, in which Andy Carroll established himself as a genuine England player and one who should go on to become a real asset for whoever he plays for. Apart from the goal(which was much more difficult than it first appeared - he was around 25 yards out and the keeper was not unsighted), he gave them all sorts of problems and was involved in all 3 goals we scored.

I expect him to go on to become the Young Player of the Season by the time these awards are dished out.

Nasri will probably win the top award, but at this point in the club's development, we are better with Carroll than Nasri ; Arsenal have plenty of good players, NUFC do not and Carroll's physical threat is vital to the club.

Which brings me to the worrying sight of Ashley gleefully rubbing his hands together after Carroll's goal ;

I hope he doesn't think that Carroll's transfer value has risen by another 5m because nobody would put it past Ashley to get a quick 25m for Carroll if he could...esp if Spurs do a deal involving Pavyluchenko......

Apart from that, and a decent performance by Barton, the game changing moment was the subbing of Ameobi by Ranger - this boy could make a huge difference to the mobility of the forward line and we started to cause Liverpool problems when he began to chase and harry their defenders - something Shola NEVER does. If Pardew does nothing else, he will earn his corn if he can get some consistency out of Ranger and develop him as a player.

A vital and necessary 3 points - we will now see how Pardew will influence the side as he has several days to work with the players - I also look forward to the Transfer window with great interest....!

To be fair to Shola, at times today he did harry and challenge. Just nowhere near enough.

Great game of football.

Krul 6.5 Looked shaky on some crosses and balls put into the box yet again. Important one on one save against Torres kept us in the game.

Simpson 6.5 Defensively sound but was rarely challenged to Liverpool being quite narrow. Doesn't offer much going forward and not that great on the ball.

Taylor 7 Still looks a little rusty/not 100% match fit for me. Can never doubt that he puts in 100% though. Decent game

Campbell 5 I think he might have pushed on for one season too many. Can't keep up with the pace of the game. Good backup but made one costly mistake and potentially a few others. Would only play him against a forward with alot of muscle i.e Carlton Cole.

Enrique 6.5 Similar to Simpson but can do better.

Barton 8.5 The change to our set piece quality today is obvious to all to see. Great crosser of the ball to. Tidy on the ball and puts himself about.

Tiote 8 Another rock solid performance from Tiote who mopped up and stopped liverpool going through the middle corridor more than I can remember. Im jealous of the ball that got the honor to touch his genitals tbh

Nolan 6.5 Only completed 5 passes by half time which isn't enough for a CM imo. Unrivaled goal scoring instincts.

Jonas 5.5 Was very quiet for me today. Not as much running as usual and sloppy passing

Ameobi 5.5 No business starting imo. Just doesn't have the engine to play in the premier league. Size and strength was a decent outlet today though.

Carroll 8.5 Won so many important headers today which i didn't think he would be able to do against Skrtel and the Greek guy who are both big CB's. Top finish for a deserved goal.

Ranger 7 Exactly what you want from a sub. Really troubled the Liverpool defence with his physicality. Needs to work on composure though.

Great result we really pressed them and didn't allow them the freedom Villa had on Monday.

Someone behind me said Krul's save from Torres could be a match winning one. Prophetic words indeed.

Amazing crowd 50K plus for an evening match going out live on TV just before Christmas - if Pardew didn't know what we're about before he will now.

Not much of a demo despite the hype. Nothing at the ticket office and just a few dozen kids outside the main entrance when I walked past at about 10 to 5. Looks like anyone over 16 had decided to stay in the pub instead. The usual anti-Ashley songs inside but much louder than recently and a generally great atmosphere made for a splendid evening.

It seems every time our fans go mental and support our team to the hilt we get a home win. Villa = resentment for relegation. Sunderland = obvious. Liverpool = Chris. What an emotionally draining match that was. Was almost in tears for Carroll's goal, never been so emotional at a football match before. The sheer sense of relief and surprise when it went in was amazing, what a fucking crazy week it's been.

what a great game O0

...but have to say sol didn´t look too good....it was his goal....he also cost us one last weekend!

But he still does the job ok most of the time....should be 4th choice, which he probably is!

Ranger changed the game for us....really deserves to start next game....ameobi didn´t offer anything....him and AC shouldn´t start games together....too similar!

what a great game O0

...but have to say sol didn´t look too good....it was his goal....he also cost us one last weekend!

But he still does the job ok most of the time....should be 4th choice, which he probably is!

Ranger changed the game for us....really deserves to start next game....ameobi didn´t offer anything....him and AC shouldn´t start games together....too similar!

Ranger's introduction did change the game and was a big factor in the win but it's very easy to overlook what Shola does for the team.

In this set up Shola often drops deep and picks up one of their central midfielders thereby allowing Tiote to drop off and play in front of the back four very effectively. Not eye catching but Shola does contribute quite a bit to the team despite first appearances.

Yesterday was the most running i've ever seen Shola do! Fair play to him but he was knackered by the 2nd half. I'm sure he was knackered when he got subbed off when he was sitting on the floor not injured. Most probably because that's the best shift he's put in for a long time. Pardew, Stone or Beardsley's doing?

Ranger was marvellous. Has to start the next game.

Yesterday was the most running i've ever seen Shola do! Fair play to him but he was knackered by the 2nd half. I'm sure he was knackered when he got subbed off when he was sitting on the floor not injured. Most probably because that's the best shift he's put in for a long time. Pardew, Stone or Beardsley's doing?

Ranger was marvellous. Has to start the next game.

Aye, he does put that shift in once and a while then goes back to normal again.

I would just play ranger as him and carroll are the future strike force of this club anyway.  IF no one is sold of course.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I didn't think Shola did too badly, at least he put in some effort unlike at West Brom and games before that. He lacks skill with a ball and what to do with it, but he closed down a lot in the first half (Not like at West Brom where we let West Brom have so much time on the ball)

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

It seems every time our fans go mental and support our team to the hilt we get a home win. Villa = resentment for relegation. Sunderland = obvious. Liverpool = Chris. What an emotionally draining match that was. Was almost in tears for Carroll's goal, never been so emotional at a football match before. The sheer sense of relief and surprise when it went in was amazing, what a f***ing crazy week it's been.

Great, I agree with that

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It was a weird game, I really did expect us to roll over and see a 4 or 5-0 defeat. Especially considering the players body language coming out, but individuals like Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and Andy Carroll held us together- Vital we keep all three fit and at the club

Great result we really pressed them and didn't allow them the freedom Villa had on Monday.

Someone behind me said Krul's save from Torres could be a match winning one. Prophetic words indeed.

Amazing crowd 50K plus for an evening match going out live on TV just before Christmas - if Pardew didn't know what we're about before he will now.

Not much of a demo despite the hype. Nothing at the ticket office and just a few dozen kids outside the main entrance when I walked past at about 10 to 5. Looks like anyone over 16 had decided to stay in the pub instead. The usual anti-Ashley songs inside but much louder than recently and a generally great atmosphere made for a splendid evening.

Demo outside main entrance was a lot bigger than a few dozen kids at half four.

Did anyone listen to Roeder on 5 Live this morning. Very impressed, not a bad word to say about the club or the fans. Clearly still bleeds black and white despite all the mental scarring he went through when he was manager.

Almost as impressive as Barton's post-match interview. Whatever else you can say about him, he does understand this club and what it's about. Hope he can continue to channel all that positively.

Colo doesn't play well against the phyical teams, I'd bring Williamson in for Campbell

Bolton? :lol:

Yes, plus many others. He get's brushed off the ball too easily, it happened against Sheff Utd last year which ended up with them scoring, was lucky to get away with a foul given to him against Carlton Cole this season, he even got outmuscled against Elmohamady twice before he got taken off against Sunderland and his two errors against Bolton were absolutely hopeless

What we saw out there was Chris Hughton's personality that has clearly rubbed off on the players. CH is a dignified man, and the players did the dignified thing by coming out and playing like they were behind Pardew. The new manager was spot on in saying some of them could well have hidden or not played for him. They didn't. It was like they asked themselves, "What would Hughton do?".....and duly put a poor (but resurgent) Liverpool outfit to the sword. (as poor a Liverpool side as I can remember seeing in the PL).

What has impressed me about Pardew is that he has not pretended to be oblivious to the vitriol being written and spoken about him and the entire situation. Has probably been more humble about it than I expected him to be. You can see his jitters in his interviews so far, where he has fumbled with words and mispronounced. He will grow in confidence provided he focuses on results and results only. I can't see him stamping his mark on the team though until the wretched window is shut end of next month.

Absolutely buzzing with this win as i was sat among 3 fellow supporters in a pub packed full of scouse fans. Nothing more pleasing to me than NUFC sticking it to this lot.

Great game of football.

Krul 6.5 Looked shaky on some crosses and balls put into the box yet again. Important one on one save against Torres kept us in the game.

Simpson 6.5 Defensively sound but was rarely challenged to Liverpool being quite narrow. Doesn't offer much going forward and not that great on the ball.

Taylor 7 Still looks a little rusty/not 100% match fit for me. Can never doubt that he puts in 100% though. Decent game

Campbell 5 I think he might have pushed on for one season too many. Can't keep up with the pace of the game. Good backup but made one costly mistake and potentially a few others. Would only play him against a forward with alot of muscle i.e Carlton Cole.

Enrique 6.5 Similar to Simpson but can do better.

Barton 8.5 The change to our set piece quality today is obvious to all to see. Great crosser of the ball to. Tidy on the ball and puts himself about.

Tiote 8 Another rock solid performance from Tiote who mopped up and stopped liverpool going through the middle corridor more than I can remember. Im jealous of the ball that got the honor to touch his genitals tbh

Nolan 6.5 Only completed 5 passes by half time which isn't enough for a CM imo. Unrivaled goal scoring instincts.

Jonas 5.5 Was very quiet for me today. Not as much running as usual and sloppy passing

Ameobi 5.5 No business starting imo. Just doesn't have the engine to play in the premier league. Size and strength was a decent outlet today though.

Carroll 8.5 Won so many important headers today which i didn't think he would be able to do against Skrtel and the Greek guy who are both big CB's. Top finish for a deserved goal.

Ranger 7 Exactly what you want from a sub. Really troubled the Liverpool defence with his physicality. Needs to work on composure though.

Good assessment. Thanks for this. I enjoyed reading it.

Liverpool without Carra and Gerrard are weak as piss. Especially when Torres cant be arsed.

Been watching most of the liverpool games this season, carra has been really bad this season. It doesnt seem like Hodgson has the balls to drop Carra, Gerrard or Torres despite beeing out of form. Torres looks in most games that he cant be arsed, unless Gerrard is hitting passes at him. My guess would be that torres is the first one out of the door, with him gone i guess gerrard would follow(its not the first time he would have handed a transfer request).

One of their best games this season was the game against Aston Ville were none of them(carra, gerrard or torres) was playing. And I would love it to see the scousers go down to the championship..

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Detailed ratings-

Krul- 5.5- Good stop from Torres but is becoming a bit of a danger when he comes for corners, he loses them more often than not

Simpson- 7- Good game, solid, and getting more and more confident on the ball

Taylor- 6- Steady, better than Sol

Campbell- 4- Worst player out there. Started off with some decent interceptions but what the hell he was doing for the goal? Many more mistakes

Enrique- 5- A bit sloppy, some good moments

Barton- 9- Didn't put a foot wrong. Great set pieces, great technique on the ball

Tiote- 7- Kept things ticking over, such a vast improvement on Smith

Nolan- 7- Well taken goal, excellent leadership and organisation

Jonas- 5.5- Made a lot of errors but started to improve near the end.

Ameobi- 5- Closed down and put in effort but lacks quality

Carroll- 9- Impossible to manage, fantastic goal, great shift.

Ranger- 8- Changed the game, no doubt. Busy, erratic, pace and power

Smith- 5.5- Didn't do much when he came on, a few clearances

Routledge- N/A

Who would take Gerrard for the fee Liverpool would want, the wages he would want, at the age he is? The ones desperate enough with enough money to do so, would he want to move to them? I really do think Gerrard's missed the boat on getting out of Liverpool, and it serves him right. He had chances, but pussied out because of the backlash he'd face.

Carra's finished, if they finally had the balls to get rid of him he'd just go to a mid-lower half table PL team who'd take a punt on him. Unless it all picks up dramatically though, I agree Torres will be off soon.

Not sure why this has just come to mind, but I'm sure food smells were being piped into Level 7 yesterday because I could certainly smell more pies than usual. Clearly all a trick to make people buy things.