Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper

Simpson   Coloccini   Taylor   Enrique

Barton   Tiote   Nolan   Routledge

Ranger   Lovenkrands

Is what i'd pick.

LOVENKRANDS?

Harper

Simpson   Coloccini   Taylor   Enrique

Barton   Tiote   Nolan   Routledge

Ranger   Lovenkrands

Is what i'd pick.

pointless having barton out wide without carroll up front.

harper

simpson   colo  taylor   jose

routledge    barton    tiote    jonas

shola    nolan

very close to putting ranger in for shola....probs change my mind in 10mins it's that close.

my apologies if i posted this earlier in the thread.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd rather have Barton out wide, because Nolan is far better in the middle. Barton sits quite deep when he's in CM, whereas Nolan will get forward. Have two strikers up top and we have the best chance of getting goals with Carroll out

Because Lovenkrands works the channels better than the other strikers, and this lot leave huge, huge gaps at the back.

We also have no other option, really. Best is obviously shitting the bed in training, Xisco's back to being completely invisible and Nolan's completely ineffective away from CM.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

As much as Loven looks ineffective, I'd much rather play him than Shola. I've got no idea if Shola's injured or what, he's been piss poor since the Arsenal away game and doesn't deserve to start

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Barton has far more time to spray balls about and dictate the play when he's in RM. When he has to scrap for the ball he's not nearly as effective.

I'd feel a lot more confident with

Barton  Tiote  Nolan

than

Routledge  Barton  Tiote

Barton works better wide right, Nolan works better in CM

Barton has far more time to spray balls about and dictate the play when he's in RM. When he has to scrap for the ball he's not nearly as effective.

he's done that twice this season. once from wide (liverpool) and once from inside (villa).

zog not playing is a huge huge bonus but not have ac is also worrying.

shola is so inconsistent and ranger makes alot of effort but lacks the quality at this level at the moment.

Definitely relying on Nolan or Barton to come up with something

Wigan are the leakiest defence in the league so we should start positive and not be too cautious

Huge game, i hope it isnt a gutless performance. Big week with playing West Ham too.

Come on the toon

Agreed. I don't think he's been that impressive in the centre when he's played there.

Agreed. I don't think he's been that impressive in the centre when he's played there.

i think he would be if he got further forward.

oh the heady irony of folk on here screaming for wingers only to blast their load over a "wide midfielder"...............and for me to be decrying it a bit.

I definitely agree with you both.

His engine doesn't seem to be that great. Especially compared to when he was younger. Maybe the injuries have taken their toll on him.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Sits too deep for my liking in CM. Still a good player, but it's better for the team with Nolan in CM and Barton wide

zog not playing is a huge huge bonus but not have ac is also worrying.

shola is so inconsistent and ranger makes alot of effort but lacks the quality at this level at the moment.

Definitely relying on Nolan or Barton to come up with something

Wigan are the leakiest defence in the league so we should start positive and not be too cautious

Huge game, i hope it isnt a gutless performance. Big week with playing West Ham too.

Come on the toon

Perfect time to start him imo

I definitely agree with you both.

His engine doesn't seem to be that great. Especially compared to when he was younger. Maybe the injuries have taken their toll on him.

It's that, plus the face he's quite weak and not the best tackler.

Guest BooBoo

God knows why they've chosen this for tv. In terms of quality it could easily be the poorest top flight game of the weekend.

Thirded.  Looked lost in his advanced role against Spurs.  Much more effective out wide at the moment.