David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't help but feel this is like the Duff signing - strengthening a position that we're more than happy with.

I'm not happy with the wingers at all. Routledge is hit and miss, Ben Arfa's injured and Jonas is dog s****.

Bentley's a right winger though, yes? Barton is excellent at right midfield, Routledge is shite, but areet for coming off the bench and there's LuaLua to come back in a little while.

I agree about Jonas, I wish we were signing a left-sided winger as there's only young Ferguson to compete for that position.

Can't help but feel this is like the Duff signing - strengthening a position that we're more than happy with.

I'm not happy with the wingers at all. Routledge is hit and miss, Ben Arfa's injured and Jonas is dog s****.

Bentley's a right winger though, yes? Barton is excellent at right midfield, Routledge is s****, but areet for coming off the bench and there's LuaLua to come back in a little while.

I agree about Jonas, I wish we were signing a left-sided winger as there's only young Ferguson to compete for that position.

What about our last signing? Not much talk of him, but think his name was Ben Arfa or something...

Guest sicko2ndbest

The Larsson thing surprises me. I think he and bentley are very similar yet Larsson is available for fuck all in the summer

Not ashleys style at all

Bentley's a right winger though, yes? Barton is excellent at right midfield, Routledge is s****, but areet for coming off the bench and there's LuaLua to come back in a little while.

What about our last signing? Not much talk of him, but think his name was Ben Arfa or something...

I'm hoping Ben Arfa plays off Carroll. He won't even be at full tilt till about August anyway, what (major) use is he till then?

I'm hoping Ben Arfa plays off Carroll. He won't even be at full tilt till about August anyway, what (major) use is he till then?

If his injury gets fully healed comes february/march, I truly believe he will be able to do a job for us then. Despite his fitness might not be the best, I think he'll be good to play som part. That's how good he is imo

I could see us with a Keegan-style 4-3-3 mind with Nolan, Tiote & Barton with Ben Arfa & Bentley to the left & right of Carroll. Think that would be an awesome front 6.

Ye

Guest sicko2ndbest

I do think Bentley would thrive up here

Plenty of banter with Carroll Nolan and Barton.

Plenty of English players

Plenty of players proving a point

I think he would excel

I think Venkman got it spot on, we only have to see how shite we were in the 4 games we missed Barton on the right to see how short we are there. One injury to Barton, and let's face it, given his 3 year record here that has to be due any time, and we have to resort to Routledge or Guthrie. *shudder* I think there's room here for both Barton & Bentley.

but bentley's shown that if he is just a squad player that he loses interest and can't be relied upon. if we want some competition/backup for Barton on the right it would make far more sense to get a young player or someone from a lower league who is willing to fight for his place/be patient for the next year or two.

but bentley's shown that if he is just a squad player that he loses interest and can't be relied upon. if we want some competition/backup for Barton on the right it would make far more sense to get a young player or someone from a lower league who is willing to fight for his place/be patient for the next year or two.

Yeah, really don't understand this back up/rotation notion. He's not happy as back up for Spurs, why would he tolerate it at Newcastle?

The thing is, I think Barton, Tiote, Nolan and Ben Arfa when fit should all play. I can't see Bentley being happy just being a squad player. If it wasn't for Barton showing that he's a pretty good right winger I would have said Bentley would be a great signing. At this moment in time we need a better forward, and a better LM, a back up LB, and we should keep our options open for a decent RB.

The thing is, I think Barton, Tiote, Nolan and Ben Arfa when fit should all play. I can't see Bentley being happy just being a squad player. If it wasn't for Barton showing that he's a pretty good right winger I would have said Bentley would be a great signing. At this moment in time we need a better forward, and a better LM, a back up LB, and we should keep our options open for a decent RB.

Bentley really broke unto the scene on loan at Norwich playing through the centre and has played on the left wing for both spuds and chelsea. If he comes here I dont think he will kick up a fuss about where he plays across the midfield. Barton is very diverse too, when his confidence is high he will excel in most positions, it seems a shame to move him from RW where he has been a revelation but I think we will have enough injuries/games for everyone to get a fair share but yet not disrupt the team.

I think most people have their hearts set on a winger-cum-striker that has bags of pace. As one of those people, taking a step back, Bentley could be a shrewd decision, certainly if we can get him settled and motivated. I still think we will sign a striker in addition so we might get both, fingers crossed.

We do have a potential midfield for the future too in Lua Lua, Gosling, Vuckic and Ferguson. I think with the clubs current blue print its more likely we will focus on getting them experience in and out of the club than investing big on anyone else.

RB wise, I think we are good to sit tight at least until the end of the season. Simpson has improved leaps and bounds since returning from injury. We have cover with Raylor, Saylor and maybe Gosling. Someone better than Simpson would be something for his to aspire to and play up to, but we dont want to stifle his progress either. Should be fine with what we have until the summer.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The Larsson thing surprises me. I think he and bentley are very similar yet Larsson is available for f*** all in the summer

Not ashleys style at all

Am I ITK?