Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/01/11 - post match reaction from p39

Dave

We ended the game with

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Rout Barton Smith Tiote Jonas

Best

How is that good at all?

Good when we're defending a lead. It was a more compact formation with three in thee middle and yet we were not overly defensive, we attacked when we could. What is your problem with that formation?

Smith will NEVER tighten a midfield. Thats the only sub i took umbridge to. My heart murmurs when he warms up. We got away with it today bu there were 2-3 minutes after he came on when it wnet barmy. Luckily we had to the legs elsewhere to see it thorugh. Great result all the same

Harper - 7 - Not alot to do, but didn't disappoint when called upon.

Simpson - 7 - Solid yet again, is forging a decent partnership with Barton.

Taylor - 6.5 - Maybe I'm being harsh, but I still think Williamson is the better option. Nearly had another 'hand ball' moment in the 2nd half.

Coloccini - 8 - Class above as always. That header deserved a goal :lol:

Enrique - 7 - Nothing spectacular, nothing fuck-y up-y.

Barton - 9 - Best player on the pitch by a mile. He was the difference today.

Tiote - 8 - Back to his best, bar the random face screaming thing in the last minute.

Nolan - 7 - Much better and more involved when in CM. 'Captain's performance' I think they call it.

Jonas - 8 - Had one of his better games, the fullback in his back pocket and was unlucky not to do better with his chance in the first half.

Ameobi - 7 - Played very well in the first half, lagged a bit in the second. One of the better 'Shola style' performances.

Lovenkrands - 7 - Linked well with Shola, looked decent at times. Seemed to lag a bit as time went on, but overall impressed.

We ended the game with

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Rout Barton Smith Tiote Jonas

Best

How is that good at all?

Good when we're defending a lead. It was a more compact formation with three in thee middle and yet we were not overly defensive, we attacked when we could. What is your problem with that formation?

We weren't defending a 1-0 lead at Stamford Bridge.

Wigan were terrible, absolutely woeful, and we didn't look threatened at all. So there was no need to be compact and no need to contain the lead as we did. A second and we could have been flying.

I'd say we looked far more dangerous on th e counter after the subs came on. Spot on tactics in the end. Colo is mint. Shola is hilarious. Barton is a hero. Tiote is a beast. Gutierrez was brilliant second half. Howard Webb is a fucking baldy cunt. Gives baldy cunts a bad name.

Leon Best's run at the end was one of the funniest things I've seen on a football pitch.

Watched it at the pub which was full of people moaning at every little thing. But when he did that everyone was pissing themselves, was pretty special

I found it a bit strange that after Routledge coming on Barton was behind Shola and Nolan was CM. Later Pardew changed it. Barton really shouldn't be in that role behind the striker, he's a bit useless there as he can't play his long balls there.

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of f***ing it up.

I just wasn't comfortable with defending a 1-0 lead away from home. A team with more quality and we could have been punished.

So you'd rather go all out attack in the last 10 minutes with a 1-0 lead away? IMO although we changed to a 4-5-1 we were not overly defensive to the point of inviting Wigan to pile on the pressure.

Pardews tactics and substitutions were fine, and anyone saying any different has a stupid vendetta and isn't willing to give him a chance.

We're 1-0 up, with 20 minutes to go. Trying to shut down the space in the midfield by bringing on a winger for our second striker who is lacking match fitness is perfectly acceptable.

Best on for Shola - Ameobi was looking tired and FWIW Best did his job. He chased and chased and put pressure on Wigan bringing it out of defence.

Nolan was knackered too, good to get some fresh legs on and a player who is willing to get stuck in. We'd all wish it wasn't Alan Smith but unfortunately he's what we have at the moment.

:clap:

Exactly! Re Smith on for Nolan, if Nolan was left on 90 minutes, you can just see the same people blasting Pardew for not taking him off since he was clearly knackered. Can't win with some people. Would be nice if we had a better sub for CM other than Smith but who else did we have and by his low standards, Smith did fine.

Harper 7 Didn't have too much to do apart from one good save from Cleverley. Thought he looked hesitant with crosses but Wigan didn't produce many of note.

Enrique 7 Looked clumsy on the ball first half but was much more composed 2nd half. Defensively sound

Colo 7.5 A quiet game is a good game for a CB, Unlucky with that great headers of his.

Saylor 7 Couple of stray passes throughout the game and think he looked very slack with Cleverley second chance who was in acres of space while Saylor, the closest defender stood there doing nothing

Simpson 6 Cross for Shola's chance in the first minute was a beaut but was bossed about by Cleverley all day who made him look pretty ordinary. Passing is meh for a right back

Jonas 7.5 One of his good games where he rarely lost the ball and had some great runs down the left. Could perhaps have done better with his one on one chance

Nolan 6 Didn't really have any impact on the game

Tiote 7 Solid but the commentator was right in saying he cuts on to his right too often. Pardew should ban him from shooting

Barton 8.5 Great game from Joey after a poor match last outing. Won some great contested balls, put in alot of running and his set peices were back to his great standard. Definitely tired towards the end however

Lovenkrands 6 Showed elements of the striker we need to partner Carroll with his pace and the way he looks to got onto the end of headers and behind the defenders, and the strikers instinct he showed for our goal today but once he is on the ball he is poor. When he comes deep the ball becomes a hot potato and he always looks to one touch pass it backwards. The way he wasted his opportunity by cutting onto his left and into defenders really frustrated me.

Ameobi 6.5 Great tap in. Showed have scored in the first minute which could have cost us. Won some headers, one or two instances where showed some good touch but not enough for the average Premier League team imo.

Routledge 6.5 Worse end product than Jonas. Showed some good dribbling and pace though.

Best 6.5 Fluffed his chance in front but did well until he lost his footing. Couls his appearance mean Ranger is going out on loan? I think Best could play a similar role.

Pardew 7.5 Thought his subs were good and the team played well.

Pardews tactics and substitutions were fine, and anyone saying any different has a stupid vendetta and isn't willing to give him a chance.

We're 1-0 up, with 20 minutes to go. Trying to shut down the space in the midfield by bringing on a winger for our second striker who is lacking match fitness is perfectly acceptable.

Best on for Shola - Ameobi was looking tired and FWIW Best did his job. He chased and chased and put pressure on Wigan bringing it out of defence.

Nolan was knackered too, good to get some fresh legs on and a player who is willing to get stuck in. We'd all wish it wasn't Alan Smith but unfortunately he's what we have at the moment.

:clap:

Exactly! Re Smith on for Nolan, if Nolan was left on 90 minutes, you can just see the same people blasting Pardew for not taking him off since he was clearly knackered. Can't win with some people. Would be nice if we had a better sub for CM other than Smith but who else did we have and by his low standards, Smith did fine.

He can hardly be faulted today, we needed 3 points and we got them.

:sadnod:

The way we started the game really suprised me, and was how I expect us to play against the so-called 'lesser teams'. Thought he got the starting lineup spot on too.

We won't talk about my thoughts on his second half decisions like...

Aye, I've got a proper vendetta against him like.

Guest Heneage

Knew we could win this, Wigan are nothing special and Shola can still score.

A scrappy game in truth in which if we'd been more clinically we could have won by more. Impressed with his subs as Routledge was perfect for counter attacking, I think our attacking talent faltered towards the end why Smith didn't run with it I'll never know.

Chuffed with 3 points.

Also playing 5 across the midfield is obvious tactic, their quality is in midfield with the likes of Cleverly, McArthur and Watson. Flooding that area of the pitch stopped them creating and meant they couldn't mount anything decent.

It's less the substitutions, more the manner of what it was saying - to me, it said to Wigan "Show us what you got" and when that happens with us, we usually find some way of f***ing it up.

I just wasn't comfortable with defending a 1-0 lead away from home. A team with more quality and we could have been punished.

People need to cut this argument out.

In the situation the substitutions were good.

I just think we were doing fine with 4-4-2 and there was no need to change that.  :dontknow:

The subs were fine, but there was no need to go so defensive - we weren't exactly troubled by them. 2-0 up and you've got a case, but with just a goal in the game, you're asking for trouble.

We didn't actually play any more defensive though. We still pressed in the same areas as we had done all second half.

People need to cut this argument out.

In the situation the substitutions were good.

I just think we were doing fine with 4-4-2 and there was no need to change that. :dontknow:

The subs were fine, but there was no need to go so defensive - we weren't exactly troubled by them. 2-0 up and you've got a case, but with just a goal in the game, you're asking for trouble.

We didn't actually play any more defensive though. We still pressed in the same areas as we had done all second half.

This, Nolan went to ACM after Loven came off. You might not of noticed but that is down to Nolan being lame.