Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/01/11 - post match reaction from p39

Dave

A win here would be fucking massive for our season. 0-1 with a goal in off Shola's sack from a yard out would do. So much pressure lifted with 3 points.

Simply cannot see it though Sad

My quote from the pre-match thread. :lol:

Should've left out the next line.

Also I f***ing knew Best wouldn't score when he was through :lol:

Of course not. Him or Smith, the mystery is in how exactly they're going to f*** up.

He kinda walked past 2 Wigan players then delivered a spastic finish at the end. Only Leon Best could do that :lol:

We were f***ing asking to be beaten with those tactical/substitution changes. I'm glad we were playing f***ing Wigan.

First half won it. Well done lads :thup:

?

Thought they were all spot on minus Best coming in instead of Ranger.

We ended the game with

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Rout Barton Smith Tiote Jonas

Best

How is that good at all?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We were f***ing asking to be beaten with those tactical/substitution changes. I'm glad we were playing f***ing Wigan.

First half won it. Well done lads :thup:

?

Thought they were all spot on minus Best coming in instead of Ranger.

:lol:

Best was fine.

Win's a win, pleased with the performance - better side for vast majority of the game, shame we didn't score more but I'd say that's a mixture of bad luck (two woodworks), lack of match-sharpness (Lovenkrands,Best chances), and a bit of poor finishing (Shola, arguably Jonas).

Should have won this comfortably, we had more than enough chances to put ourselves out of sight. We came up against a bad team having a bad day.

But whatever, it's a big 3 points. Wigan look much more like relegation candidates than we do on this evidence, bearing in mind this was at their ground too.

It's understandable we might struggle offensively today, but looking at our respective line-ups we ought to get a draw from this.

A clean sheet isn't an unrealistic expectation from this fixture. Just for the love of god, don't gift them any goals.

Prediction: Wigan 0 - 1 Toon

[/ :snod:]

Seriously though, lots of questionable and peculiar things to take from that match. Jonas really seemed to have a lot more appetite after another anonymous first opening half hour.

Main point to come from the point, IMO: Colo was immense. Taylor was a passenger/fairly dire.

Taylor's style of defending is very peculiar. He seems to want to be on the ball as little as possible, and will often try to shield a player from the ball rather than going after the ball - which usually results in the opponent bolting past him, and him having to make a sloppy recovery tackle. That's reflected in every part of his play - the ball is a hotcake to him.

Desperately want Williamson back in, tbh. Clean sheet or not, it's clear to me.  :sadnod:

Really happy with 3 points though.

Colo MOTM. With Shola a close second.