Newcastle United 5 - 0 West Ham United - 05/01/11 - post match reaction from p35

Dave

Really pleased lovenkrands got his goal. He made the first two, 1st one playing the right ball (albeit he should always make that)

but for the seconds was a very intelligent run and good ball. Played well all night. Best was jsut in the right place at the right time but still took his goals well.

Tiote and Barton ran midfield with ease- West Ham were just so poor was unreal. Lets hope Tiote is OK for the mackems.

Yeah, the good thing about Lovenkrands is that he makes the conventional nippy striker moves and runs.

His goal was one that probably only he in our squad would have scored.

Harper - 7.5 Didn't have alot to do but got the job done when needed

Enrique - 8.5 Some great runs through West Hams midfield and awesome as always defensively Thought his passing wasn't great though.

Colo - 9 Made it look so easy in that second half. Rarely troubled but timed some challenges perfectly in that second half.

Saylor 7 Had little to do but didn't put a foot wrong.

Simpson 8 Attacked alot early on which was impressive. Don't remember Noble or anyone on the left getting behind him all game.

Jonas 7.5 Took a knock early on which definitely hampered his performance but was good for his 60 minutes.

Nolan 8 Good finish and was able to find himself in more space than he usually does in the centre of the park. Tidy in possession and Ranger should have finished off one of his great passes in the box.

Tiote 9 Defensively it was a faultless performance. Passing was as accurate as always but looks despereate to score a goal for some reason.

Barton 9 Controlled the game in the first half. Didn't have much to do in the second and did look like he was pretty tired towards the end.

Lovenkrands 7.5 Got himself into good positions and will probably be credited with an assist for the first two goals. First touch was poor though.

Best 9.5 Who would have thought Leon Best would be scoring a hattrick on tyneside? Apart from 3 well taken goals he won quite a few headers that were knocked down to Lovenkrands or another player. Top performance from a player most thought would be out of the club by now.

Williamson 7 Little to do and it is great to have a CB of his quality as back up to our first choice pairing.

Ferguson 7 Good to see him get some time. Laid a good ball back for Nolan and looked quick. Held his nerve pretty well against Ben Haim

Ranger 6 Looked gangly, uncoordinated and missed a sitter. Needs time out on loan to get some composure on the ball.

Great performance!

Someone came into work earlier and told me Newcastle were beating West Ham 5-0 and that Leon Best scored a hattrick. I quite rightly pissed myself laughing and told him to fuck off and try it somewhere else.

Wait... you what? :kinnear:

Harper - 6. Suspect kicking as usual and not sure what he was doing with that disallowed goal.

Simpson - 8. Attacked well, defended well.

Taylor/Williamson - 7. Both did well.

Coloccini - 9. Completely owned the entire West Ham attack.

Enrique - 7. Good game.

Barton - 9. Another fantastic performance.

Tiote - 9. Bossed it.

Nolan - 7. Decent performance with an excellent goal.

Jonas - 6. Below-par, again, but not bad.

Lovenkrands - 7. Played well.

Best - 9. Superb performance.

Harper 6? He made two terrific saves and kept a clean sheet man :lol:

I honestly wouldn't give anyone less than an 8, as a team we were fantastic and no one had bad game.

Aye, probably harsh on Harper. His kicking grates on me though.

Brilliant, brilliant team performance - as you say.

I wish Krul was still in goal but Harper's kicking is a million times better.

pardew deserves huge amount of credit for that - totally vindicated his decision to play best up front. as someone said in the prematch thread - he was arguably fighting for his newcastle career, having not scored a league goal for so long. i wouldnt go over the top and say he's done enough to make amends for a year of being crap - but you can't ask for anymore than that in one game.

Barton and tiote were sensational in the middle. gap in quality between those two and west ham's bottlers was significant.

And Colo and Enrique absolutely took the piss at the back - in fact they were more comfortable than in those easy championship games last season.

west ham should go down playing like that.

oh, and parker's s****. so embarrasingly over-rated in the media and by wham fans.

Good Lord! The guy hadn't played yet  :lol:

Seems people actually convinced themselves the guy couldn't play football.

So excited for Best. Been tough going sticking up for the guy on here. Aside from the goals, which were all taken very well and with tons of composure (always a good sign!), the guys all round play and workrate could not be faulted. He's physical and he moves well, far more co-ordinated than Shola for example. The best thing about Leon Best tonight was how much of a pleasure it was to watch him play. Doesn't have the knack for doing those senseless and infuriating things that are Shola's trademark. Great night.

Harper - 6. Suspect kicking as usual and not sure what he was doing with that disallowed goal.

Simpson - 8. Attacked well, defended well.

Taylor/Williamson - 7. Both did well.

Coloccini - 9. Completely owned the entire West Ham attack.

Enrique - 7. Good game.

Barton - 9. Another fantastic performance.

Tiote - 9. Bossed it.

Nolan - 7. Decent performance with an excellent goal.

Jonas - 6. Below-par, again, but not bad.

Lovenkrands - 7. Played well.

Best - 9. Superb performance.

Harper 6? He made two terrific saves and kept a clean sheet man :lol:

I honestly wouldn't give anyone less than an 8, as a team we were fantastic and no one had bad game.

Aye, probably harsh on Harper. His kicking grates on me though.

Brilliant, brilliant team performance - as you say.

I wish Krul was still in goal but Harper's kicking is a million times better.

I don't know why. The best keeper is in goal, that's all that matters.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Harper was good tonight, made some class saves. Even when he looked like he had fucked up (came out, and missed the ball) he pulled his arms in not to give a pen away. Most vocal I've heard him for a while too, some huge audible claims for the ball that you could hear in the Gallowgate end.  :clap:

Excellant performance. Harper and Colo were excellant. Tiote just did what Tiote does well.

Well done Leon Best. MOTM for the hat-trick.

And congratulations to Ranger for winning the missed sitter of the season award. As Harry might say 'me old mother would have got that' Who was it he said that about again?